Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Talleran

Telephone interviews

Talleran

Hi everyone,  and thanks to all posters. Some great info on here!

Have been reading and researching to try and prepare in case I'm selected, but I can't seem to find any details on what to expect from a telephone interview. There's lots about final interviews and assessment centre but very little about telephone.

Will I be given notice and material to read to give me an idea before? Will it take a f format more similar to a final or assessment interview?

Also, has anyone here heard back from WMP application yet?

Thanks in advance, Luca. 

• Like 1

JRS13
2 hours ago, Talleran said:

Hi everyone,  and thanks to all posters. Some great info on here!

Have been reading and researching to try and prepare in case I'm selected, but I can't seem to find any details on what to expect from a telephone interview. There's lots about final interviews and assessment centre but very little about telephone.

Will I be given notice and material to read to give me an idea before? Will it take a f format more similar to a final or assessment interview?

Also, has anyone here heard back from WMP application yet?

Thanks in advance, Luca. 

Hi Luca,

The telephone interview seems to be a WMP stage as they have raised the bar fairly high since they started to recruit again. I haven't seen it in any of the surrounding forces recruitment drives.

I did it earlier in the year.

As I recall there was not much time to prepare, I think I had around 10 days since being told I had passed the online application. You receive an email telling you to click on the link and book your telephone interview. 

Once you have booked it at a day and time to suit yourself, you get another email confirming the booking. 

Keep checking your email junk folder as one of my emails got lost in there for some unknown reason.

I did not receive any pre reads for the telephone interview, I only had pre reads for search assessment centre stage.

To be fair there is not much I can say about it really.

Its very straight forward, the interviewer makes you feel very relaxed, I think mine lasted about 20 mins, and it flew by.

I had dozens of answers to possible questions written down in front of me, but to be honest, I didn't get chance to even look at them, time went too quickly.

I think The best way to prepare is look at it as similar to a final interview (just not as tense) think about your values and motivations, along with some different real life situations you have been in like you answered on your application form.

Good luck.

BlueRecruit

Hi Both,

Thanks for the information JRS13!

I received an enail yesterday stating I have a telephone interview. Just waiying for the follow up email to book a slot.

Were you successful in being recruited?

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

JRS13
51 minutes ago, BlueRecruit said:

Hi Both,

Thanks for the information JRS13!

I received an enail yesterday stating I have a telephone interview. Just waiying for the follow up email to book a slot.

Were you successful in being recruited?

Thanks,

Hi BlueRecruit,

Yes I made it through the process for a second time. The first application was pulled after being on hold at physical stage during the 5yr recruitment freeze.

The recruitment process is a strange one though. When I applied first time in 09, my application form scored an A grade  (A is scored in the top 97%) 

After my application was pulled I applied to Warwickshire as I didn't have a level 3 qualification at the time and couldn't reapply to my chosen favourite West Midlands. The Warwickshire form was however exactly the same as my 09 high scoring West Midlands application form so I used the same answers. (Why wouldn't I? they appeared perfect)

Somehow my top 97% grade A form had failed with Warwickshire and scored a overall C.... So the same form, same answers yet graded as exceptional with one force and not make the grade with another!! very strange I thought as the process is supposed to be marked as a national standard.

So I decided to go and get my level 3 qualification and reapplied to my chosen favourite West Mids and was finally rewarded with a start date despite the extra stages put in place such as the situational judgment test, phone interview, final interview and min 60% pass at assessment centre. 

Moral is just keep going and do your best, and don't get put off by a setback if you get one. I really believe there are hidden elements of the process in top of the competencies too, such as whether assessor's & interviewers like your general personality and feel they would be happy to work with you etc.

Best advice about the process I can give is stay calm and be confident. Make clear decisions based on the information you have.

Talleran

Yes thanks JRS that's really helpful. 

BlueRecruit, Was that west Midlands and their most recent (November 16) recruitment sift? 

NatalieS

Well done on getting through to the next stage... im still yet to hear anything from WMP... do we get notified if we are also unsuccessful? 

Thanks

BlueRecruit

JRS13: That is strange? The only think I can think is that other candidates performed exceptionally well which raises the average overall? There seems to be alot of hurdles to get through now. A VERY long process. They say they want the first intake in May but that is very quick!

Talleran: Yes it was for the most recent campaign in November. I think I read that they received approx 2,500 applications so they're probably still sifting.

NatalieS: Thank you. I believe you do get notified if you are unsuccessful as I'm aware of someone who was notified last week. Make sure you check you junk mail folder.

JRS13
15 minutes ago, BlueRecruit said:

JRS13: That is strange? The only think I can think is that other candidates performed exceptionally well which raises the average overall? There seems to be alot of hurdles to get through now. A VERY long process. They say they want the first intake in May but that is very quick!

Talleran: Yes it was for the most recent campaign in November. I think I read that they received approx 2,500 applications so they're probably still sifting.

NatalieS: Thank you. I believe you do get notified if you are unsuccessful as I'm aware of someone who was notified last week. Make sure you check you junk mail folder.

It was strange. A friend in Warwickshire told me that due to so few vacancies each year being a small force, they Get rid of applications once they have enough to put through to assessment centre. Whether that's true or not, who knows.

I'm happy to have finally reached my goal with West Midlands, it's been a challenge.

As far as I am aware they plan to recruit 800 new officers so hopefully yourself and others here will be joining soon.

As for getting folk through by May, that will be a quick process.

NatalieS

Well so far no news as yet ... I submitted mine the wednesday before the closing date so it feels so long ago  now! 

I check all folders daily... the suspense is killing me!

Iv read the figures also for the applications... its going to be a tough one!

Talleran

I'm the same as you Natalie!  Heard of a couple people who got notified they weren't progressing Friday so I'm getting a bit twitchy haha!

NatalieS

@Talleran twitchy putting it lightly hehe... it would be a lovely christmas presant.. a good news email....

when did you submit? 

I really worked hard on my application so i think what will be will be...  

BlueRecruit
It was strange. A friend in Warwickshire told me that due to so few vacancies each year being a small force, they Get rid of applications once they have enough to put through to assessment centre. Whether that's true or not, who knows.
I'm happy to have finally reached my goal with West Midlands, it's been a challenge.
As far as I am aware they plan to recruit 800 new officers so hopefully yourself and others here will be joining soon.
As for getting folk through by May, that will be a quick process.

Hopefully you're enjoying the job? Response or SNT?

I applied to WMP about 8 years ago and failed at the assessment centre. Ive since served as a Special for WMP and it gives you even more of a bug to do the job full time.

Warwickshire and West Mercia recruit jointly now don't they? I have a friend who has recently joined West Mercia after applying back in August 2015.

BlueRecruit
Well so far no news as yet ... I submitted mine the wednesday before the closing date so it feels so long ago  now! 
 I check all folders daily... the suspense is killing me!
Iv read the figures also for the applications... its going to be a tough one!

No news is good news?

Talleran

The Thursday after it came out, how about you?

Good to know we're not the only ones to have not heard

scary100

I made it through to the next stage for WM Police also. If you haven't heard anything yet then contact recruitment!

After some enquiries the only applications that there was a delay on in terms of decisions were if you had any convictions/tattoo/motoring offences. Everyone receives an email whether they are successful or not so if it's not in your junk mail then contact recruitment!

Paid Membership Required

There are 162 hidden replies in this thread. To unlock the forum you will need to be a registered member and have a paid Membership Plan or Recruitment Pass. Click HERE for full details.

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David