ne0beatsm0rp86

Special Vetting

63 posts in this topic

Hi i recently applied to the special constabulary in merseyside police and was declined based upon my previous criminal convictions which were:

1 count of drink drive banned for 16 months with no points in 2008 (blew 49 at police station)
2 counts of drunk and disorderly in 2006 & 2007
1 count of criminal damage in 2006
1 bankruptcy for 1 years which ended in October 2015

Now as far as i can see the rules set by the government is that anything drink drive its a instant decline on application if its within 10 years and 5 years for everything else.

So after speaking to merseyside police im reapplying in 2018 as thats then 10 years, what my question is, is basically do i even stand a chance?

Obviously i got into a mess when i was younger mostly down to drinking and partying a lot and have turned my life around big time and wanted to use my experiences in life to help other people. But with people applying who have never had a conviction in anyone elses experience are they more than likely to just look and think forget it?

Thanks everyone

Unfortunately I think your history is a bit too colourful tbh. It's probably best to talk to them and confirm

OK thanks a lot. I was told to reapply in 2018 

If that was said then go for it! And the best of luck!

13 hours ago, D54 said:

Unfortunately I think your history is a bit too colourful tbh. It's probably best to talk to them and confirm

Certainly one way of wording it. :D

Member Achievements

6 hours ago, JD180 said:

Certainly one way of wording it. :D

I know, had a bit of a colourful past. 

but trying to give back now.

16 hours ago, ne0beatsm0rp86 said:

I know, had a bit of a colourful past. 

but trying to give back now.

Never to late bud, best of luck to you. See if you can find some other volunteer stuff in the meantime. May look good on your part ;)

1 person likes this

Member Achievements

On 12/15/2016 at 09:07, JD180 said:

Never to late bud, best of luck to you. See if you can find some other volunteer stuff in the meantime. May look good on your part ;)

Thanks a lot.

I have since found out that August 2018 is when i can reapply as needed to wait 11 years since last serious conviction which was drink drive and i havent had any issues in past 7 years.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but someone needs to be honest with you.

Are you really a suitable candidate? How could you ever tell someone off for alcohol related stupidity when you have 3 drink related convictions? To be honest I wouldn't want you as a colleague due to the unforgivable lack of integrity you've shown in the past. I think you'd be better off looking at a community outreach type of project instead.

6 people like this

Member Achievements

3 hours ago, Posh said:

Are you really a suitable candidate? How could you ever tell someone off for alcohol related stupidity when you have 3 drink related convictions? To be honest I wouldn't want you as a colleague due to the unforgivable lack of integrity you've shown in the past. I think you'd be better off looking at a community outreach type of project instead.

Again I am sure people will disagree but you raise a valid point.  That said the Army Reserve will still take him if he applies

Edited by funkywingnut

Member Achievements

7 hours ago, Posh said:

I agree with you, and all you can be is honest.  I can think of 5 very good reasons why any such applicant would fail.  One very important part of Policing is that all your colleagues have to have respect for you, and that would be very difficult.

2 people like this

Member Achievements

On 12/30/2016 at 23:35, Zulu 22 said:

I agree with you, and all you can be is honest.  I can think of 5 very good reasons why any such applicant would fail.  One very important part of Policing is that all your colleagues have to have respect for you, and that would be very difficult.

I dont have 3 drink driving convictions. I have one from nearly 10 years ago.

I have 2 drunk and disorderly from when i was 18/19 and now im 31. So a long time ago.

After speaking to many police officers in my job who come into us a lot of officers have had drunk and disorderly in the past.

On a side note too the police as a whole are always saying that people need second chances or a chance to correct past mistakes and something that happened ten years ago doesnt mean that my integrity as a officer 10 years later is the same it would have been 10 years prior. Basically the person i was 10 years ago i am not now and would never step foot in a car even after 1 pint.

On 12/30/2016 at 16:30, Posh said:

Sorry previous post i thought you said 3 drink drive related convictions. My bad.

I dont think its very fair to judge someone based upon past though. Its not as if it was  afew years ago. It was when i was young in the head and immature and went off the rails as it where. There is always another side to a story and im sure any person who knew the underlying reasons would understand i was a mess and did make mistakes and since that have never had any trouble with police. Plus, if i was to get in police its always better in my opinion if you have been through the same thing to help members of public and get them on the straight and narrow.

7 minutes ago, ne0beatsm0rp86 said:

I dont have 3 drink driving convictions. I have one from nearly 10 years ago.

I have 2 drunk and disorderly from when i was 18/19 and now im 31. So a long time ago.

After speaking to many police officers in my job who come into us a lot of officers have had drunk and disorderly in the past.

On a side note too the police as a whole are always saying that people need second chances or a chance to correct past mistakes and something that happened ten years ago doesnt mean that my integrity as a officer 10 years later is the same it would have been 10 years prior. Basically the person i was 10 years ago i am not now and would never step foot in a car even after 1 pint.

The fact remains you consumed an excess amount of alcohol and then took it upon yourself to put everyone's life at risk that you drove past. I'm afraid there simply is no excuse for that. 

I am not accusing you of not having changed, but you would be a hypocrite to stick anyone on for offences that you have committed yourself. Also practically speaking, someome more knowledgeable than me will confirm if you had to declare those everytime you went to court.

Please don'the think this is personal and I won't belittle whatever struggles you were going through at the time, however 100,000 of my colleagues were young once and like going out and getting smashed, yet don't have a club number.

Member Achievements

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, ne0beatsm0rp86 said:

Sorry previous post i thought you said 3 drink drive related convictions. My bad.

I dont think its very fair to judge someone based upon past though. Its not as if it was  afew years ago. It was when i was young in the head and immature and went off the rails as it where. There is always another side to a story and im sure any person who knew the underlying reasons would understand i was a mess and did make mistakes and since that have never had any trouble with police. Plus, if i was to get in police its always better in my opinion if you have been through the same thing to help members of public and get them on the straight and narrow.

We can only be honest in giving an opinion. I I was making the decision appoint or not, I can only say that I would not.  Officers have to know that they can reply on their colleagues and would find it difficult to work with someone who has those convictions, knowing that you would be arresting people for the same.  I could se the embarrassment in a court case should the defence become aware of your history. The defence would have a field day.  I do not think that we are in a position to want to take a chance.  I can only be honest.

As an after thought in my editing. What would happen if you happened to be serving with one of the officers who had previously arrested you. IT would certainly be embarrassing and not fair on the officer or yourself.

Edited by Zulu 22

Member Achievements