Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Sign in to follow this  
MagicJohn

Chances of passing vetting?

MagicJohn

Hi guys, I am interested in applying to become a special constable but I have a few questions. So a little bit about me, I'm 23 years old and just graduated from university. I haven't had much work experience.. or life experience really but this is something I have wanted to do for a while.

The main thing stopping me is concerns about failing vetting and therefore wasting everyone's time. So I'll start by saying I have no convictions, cautions, reprimands or criminal association (that I know of).  I've never been bankrupt or anything like that either! However just over 4 years ago, I was charged with two traffic offences. One was driving without insurance (Basically I took out the policy two days before being stopped and police records hadn't been updated by the insurance company). I got a letter from the police saying the case would be withdrawn at court.. but for some reason it did actually have to go to court. I was also charged with driving with excess alcohol. I was acquitted in court because I only provided one urine sample and large parts of the form hadn't been completed.  The result was 109 if I remember correctly, it was close but obviously it was over the limit.. and there's no excuse for that. Lesson learnt.

That happened just over 4 years ago, so I'm wondering if it will have an impact on my application? I know I'd obviously have to declare it but I'm wondering if it's even worth applying to be honest.

Thanks for any help :)

Flashgear

Well you must have given a positive breathe test for them to take it to court? As for the insurance, hardly your fault that the insurer didn't update the system fast enough. They didn't ask you for proof of insurance by calling your Insurance company? would seem the logical thing to do. 

Member Achievements

Rocket

Be honest! if you have any concerns about your vetting then state them clearly in your application. The validity of them will be taken into account  (or not) as necessary.

If not mentioned by you then vetting will still flag it up and I'm sure you can guess what the result of your application will be.

Member Achievements

MagicJohn

Yeah that's correct. I provided a positive sample at the roadside, but at the station there was something wrong with the machine - so I gave urine (I hate needles!).  I suspect by the time they got a doctor to the station to take the blood, I would've been under the limit.. but then if I provided two urine samples, the 2nd would've probably been under the limit as well. It doesn't really matter now, but like I said - I was charged and lesson learnt! I think a roadside evidencial test is the answer!

With the insurance, they charged me with that the same night I was in custody for the other offence. I told the officers the documents were in the glove box of the car and they could call up the insurance company but they charged me anyway. I don't know what the standard procedure is but surely it would've been better to sort that out the next morning?

Sign in to follow this  

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David