Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mike88

Latest Police Use Of Force Witchhunt

mike88

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/police-officer-pins-suspect-floor-9372518

A shocking video has led to the investigation of a police force after it showed an officer allegedly punching a suspect to the floor during an arrest.

Edited by Fedster
edited to comply with copyright requirment

Radman

Where's the sound?

I wonder if it's been edited out because you'd likely hear the officer shouting "stop biting me..."

Member of Public

There'll be more to it, I tell you now. How many of these situations do we see these days, only for the truth to eventually come out and we find that there was actually more to it and the officer was completely justified. Its getting rather 'same old' now. So much so that I personally take these stories with a pinch of salt.

Fedster

So the cousin of the suspect is sharing the video widely, she decides to get rid of the sound, and put the video in extra slow motion, makes it look worse than it actually is.

https://www.facebook.com/georgiax.evansx?hc_ref=SEARCH&fref=nf 

Some of the comments are supportive of the police, the BBC, Daily Mail and The Sun seem to be gagging for the full video, making repeated requests in that facebook discussion thread.

Cathedral Bobby

I agree I think this is another case of not what you see/hear, but what you don't. Every PST course you spend time training in unarmed techniques. I have lost count the times I have heard an instructor ask during scenario training why hadn't an officer(s) considered a strike. I think there is a misunderstanding by the public/media that you can only use Home Office approved self-defence/restraint techniques and punching/kicking are not included, when we all know these are legitimate. Far better to use a fist or kick than a baton that's all I can say.

MerseyLLB

I think one thing that needs to be addressed once and for all is the notion that police can only mirror the force used on them by a suspect.

The view seems to be that reasonable force equals an eye for an eye.

People simply can't get their head around the fact that when we get into a fight...we need to win. Clearly. By a margin. 

It is a fine art, use of force.

Im ashamed to say it's almost become street theatre for me. Quite often I find myself allowing the suspect to overstep the mark before I neutralise the threat because it's then easier to justify. However as I can recently attest, sometimes that goes wrong and it leaves you injured.

But the logic is still there - It's alot easier for me to justify a strike/PAVA once I've had one towards myself. I shouldn't have to wait for that but on occasion I still do and will probably continue to do so in order that I feel more confident in making it to retirement.

On a side note in BTP I was issued the full ACPO Personal Safety Manual - a thick ring binder document of all the techniques including possible outcome and likely outcome on the subject. This was really useful reading and good for writeups but my two subsequent forces do not issue the manual.

AA101

It's on NCALT if you want to have access to the electronic version.

Sent from my HTC One using the Police Community App

SnowBall

As has been said, I can only imagine the full story hasn't been expressed by this video alone. We do not know the circumstances before and during. But again I see people seething at the bit to try and verbally attack the police officers action (I may add not on here, Facebook) How it would be different if someone was assaulting that young lady and she wanted the help of officers.

The Undertaker

Police Officer cleared

Common sense prevails, when the incident happened, all the media outlets were gagging for more info as stated in above posts, now the verdict is out only the DM appear to be interested.

Edited by The Undertaker

Zulu 22

In the Mail article it uses the words "Let off" I thought that the IPCC cleared him they did not "Let him off"

Edited by Zulu 22

MajorDisaster
On 02/12/2016 at 10:55, AA101 said:

It's on NCALT if you want to have access to the electronic version.

Sent from my HTC One using the Police Community App

Cake Fine for uttering the N word!

JulietAlpha1
2 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

In the Mail article it uses the words "Let off" I thought that the IPCC cleared him they did not "Let him off"

My exact thoughts. 'Police officer found to have been acting lawfully whilst robustly conducting his duties,' would have been a better summary I would've thought...

Member of Public
3 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

They're just using words like that to try and inflame the situation. Usual 'quality' journalism from the media in this country. 

SimonT

I wonder how much you can get for the videos. Might be time to start following some other teams on a weekend shift. 

Our staff safety seems to vary between inefficient to brutal. Both of which should probably be avoided.