Tb202

MET Police What's up with the scruffy uniforms?

Scruffy Police Officers   81 members have voted

1. 1. Do the public care if Police Officers look scruffy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on the occasion

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

219 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Bacon_sandwich said:

I thought you would be dead against military shirts. Might make us look far to paramilitary.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

They are no more paramilitary than the Boy Scouts. There uniform shirts are amenable to being well maintained and smart, together with the fact that for many months they are in shirt sleeve order only.  A uniform just makes people stand out and identifies them, clean and smart says efficient, and scruffy says the opposite.

Edited by Zulu 22

Member Achievements

They are no more paramilitary than the Boy Scouts. There uniform ####s are amenable to being well maintained and smart, together with the fact that for many months they are in shirt sleeve order only.  A uniform just makes people stand out and identifies them, clean and smart says efficient, and scruffy says the opposite.

I think you'll find a police force is significantly 'more paramilitary' than the Boy Scouts.

But why does it matter? If it's practical and smart, why shouldn't it be worn?

Member Achievements

4 minutes ago, Growley said:

I think you'll find a police force is significantly 'more paramilitary' than the Boy Scouts.

But why does it matter? If it's practical and smart, why shouldn't it be worn?

The present uniforms outside the Met are not smart in any way

Member Achievements

The present uniforms outside the Met are not smart in any way

The Met uniform is not smart. It is almost definitely the most untidy mix of cheep clothing I have ever worn.

1 person likes this

Member Achievements

8 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

Huge difference between working a few hours and doing a shift of 8 or 12 hours as we went on to. If the public are dealing with someone who looks smart and tidy they immediat3ely have a greater respect for them.

Zulu 22, I Totaly agree with that statement about being smart and tidy wherever possible,absolutely, and yes there is a huge difference between regulars and special constables, we certainly don't have to wear the uniform we are given for forty and more hours a week in all environments week in, week out.

. Apart from about five or six hours helping with public order and domestics  on Friday or Saturday night most of my hours (and other specials)was  at public events of one sort or another so it was absolutely imperative that they came on duty as tidy as was possible. It's my experience that they were tidy or someone would tell them diplomatically.  I even recal one special who paid for a tailor to alter her trousers because of the fit. 

What I didnt agree with is the bit about white shirts and ties etc getting more respect over other types of uniform. Whether or not white shirts and cravats/ties are an  anachronism for normal work gear I had better not say (I don't want to disturb the harmony :)), but I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on that one.

. There must be a few police forces around the world where officers don't wear white shirts, ties and cravats, do they not get respect.? The public perception of police has changed a lot over the years, due to the media maybe, but that's another issue. Re remaining smart,  It's not always the fault of the wearer, the powers that be in the corridors of power who decide on the style/practicality  and issue of uniform also have their small part to play in all this. Rich.

Member Achievements

I happen to like the CoLP uniform. Try as I might I cannot find a picture online to illustrate it unfortunately.

1 person likes this

Member Achievements

9 hours ago, Bacon_sandwich said:

The Met uniform is not smart. It is almost definitely the most untidy mix of cheep clothing I have ever worn.

I'm in Kent now, an all black uniform force, and as long as you select the correct sizing of your garments smartness isn't an issue.

I have black wicking tops which after 6 months of cycling through the shirts and washing them in normal washing powder and a vinegar soak every month still look as good as the day they were issued.

My trousers are heavy duty enough that they haven't faded (unlike the North West contract cargo trousers that were green within a month) and come with an elasticated waist which is handy for those post refs bloatings...they also have a sewn in crease meaning I only have to show them the iron to keep them looking good.

I flit between using my tac vest and my duty belt but both do the job equally well and don't affect the smartness of my uniform.

I have a metal badge bearing my force number and Velcro name tapes with my force number/station (Kent traditionally don't care too much about numbers being worn on the shoulder which is lucky as my 1 pair of issued epaulettes took 4 months to arrive!).

My tunic is very smart. I have the a custodian or flat cap.

I am issued soft shell jackets in national uniform pattern in lieu of a fleece (fleeces were phased out but I have a couple anyway) which looks smart and has space for my Velcro ID tag on the breast.

I am issued a long black jacket which is a little on the large side but looks smart enough for day to day work. 

Traffic hi-vis - standard.

Lightweight hi-vis has front breast and rear clear plastic windows.to place force number badges on for easy identification in public order situations.

Body armour - old met vest style but with reflective police badge on rear. I don't wear it very often but it's smart and light enough not to over encumber me when I do.

I'd say my uniform is smarter than most forces uniforms.

2 people like this

Member Achievements

I'm in Kent now, an all black uniform force, and as long as you select the correct sizing of your garments smartness isn't an issue.
I have black wicking tops which after 6 months of cycling through the shirts and washing them in normal washing powder and a vinegar soak every month still look as good as the day they were issued.
My trousers are heavy duty enough that they haven't faded (unlike the North West contract cargo trousers that were green within a month) and come with an elasticated waist which is handy for those post refs bloatings...they also have a sewn in crease meaning I only have to show them the iron to keep them looking good.
I flit between using my tac vest and my duty belt but both do the job equally well and don't affect the smartness of my uniform.
I have a metal badge bearing my force number and Velcro name tapes with my force number/station (Kent traditionally don't care too much about numbers being worn on the shoulder which is lucky as my 1 pair of issued epaulettes took 4 months to arrive!).
My tunic is very smart. I have the a custodian or flat cap.
I am issued soft shell jackets in national uniform pattern in lieu of a fleece (fleeces were phased out but I have a couple anyway) which looks smart and has space for my Velcro ID tag on the breast.
I am issued a long black jacket which is a little on the large side but looks smart enough for day to day work. 
Traffic hi-vis - standard.
Lightweight hi-vis has front breast and rear clear plastic windows.to place force number badges on for easy identification in public order situations.
Body armour - old met vest style but with reflective police badge on rear. I don't wear it very often but it's smart and light enough not to over encumber me when I do.
I'd say my uniform is smarter than most forces uniforms.

I have seen a few mix and match styles with some Kent officers but overall I would agree that their uniform is a smart and appeared fit for purpose.

Member Achievements

On 2/23/2017 at 00:17, Bacon_sandwich said:

I have seen a few mix and match styles with some Kent officers but overall I would agree that their uniform is a smart and appeared fit for purpose.

I'm also a Kent officer, and I'm pretty happy with our kit if I'm honest. The vast majority of my team wear their numbered epaulettes, our kit is standardised and it looks pretty smart- I genuinely don't think I've heard any serious grumbles with it from an officer. None of us really have bulled boots, but there isn't a single PC on my station that has nasty, filthy or tatty boots.

If I'm honest, I really don't agree with this shirt and tie malarkey. When I started as a special, we (as a force) were in the process of phasing out white shirts for operational staff, only retaining them for custody officers and office-bound PCs. The black wicking kit is fit for purpose, comfortable and smart. 

I might be being a bit trite, but I think the vast majority of officer approachability rests with the officers themselves, rather than their kit. I've spoken to a a few people outside the job about approachability, and not one has said that our kit makes us unapproachable. Personally, I feel that using uniform as a scapegoat for unapproachability is just that- a scapegoat. If an officer is routinely having issues with public interaction, I would suggest taking a look at their behaviour as opposed to their kit in all honesty. I've never had an issue with interaction whatsoever, and I'd like to think that my colleagues would say that I'm about as approachable as it's appropriate to be. The fact that my uniform is all black and lacks a tie, frankly, has never caused me an issue.

2 people like this

Member Achievements