Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
danswans

Becoming a PC - My Blog by danswans - Discussion Thread

danswans

So, taking influence from @Eddzz!! and his wonderful blog, I've decided to post my own spin on what it means / involves to become a PC

I got the official go ahead about 2 1/2 weeks ago that I had been successful and I would be on the next intake, which starts on Monday October 24th. Lots of paperwork, forms and signatures to complete before then. I've been invited for a pre employment day on Saturday 15th October at the force training school. This is to be shown around, meet your new trainers / colleagues and to go through the uniform fitting again. I say again, as up until last month I was a serving special constable for the same force. 

It all started when I moved from Wales to England to live in Kent. I met a girl who's from this area and things kind of went from there. I didn't have any friends, family or close connections to spend time with so it was all very difficult. I joined the specials in June 2015 and I instantly fell in love with the job. The unpredictable nature of calls, tasks and day to day activities still makes me smile now. My current job is working within forensic mental health services, which sounds great, but can become boring at times - so the change is very much a good one! 

I feel a sense of personal proudness to not only become a special constable for one of the UKs largest forces, but to also be on the verge of becoming a full time PC. It's really been a long and difficult road but soon to be over. 

I aim to share my experiences and what it's like to be a PC and hopefully inspire more of you who wish to follow suit. I will update again sharing what I get up to on Saturday at the pre employment day - if there's anything you wish to know or ask, don't hesitate to comment! 

Dan 

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Bacon_sandwich

I wish you luck.

I must admit I'm impressed at how quickly you have gone through the process of becoming a special and then PC.

Sent from my iPhone usring Police Community

• Like 1

Member Achievements

danswans
I wish you luck.

I must admit I'm impressed at how quickly you have gone through the process of becoming a special and then PC.

Thank you. I'll be honest, if I want something, I become a pain in the backside until I achieve it. Since becoming a special, I was using every day off or spare time I had to go in and do a shift. I ended up doing 50-60 hours a month. Whilst my friends weren't too fussed on becoming independent etc - I was. The minute I was eligible to apply (I used becoming an independent special as my eligibility as I don't have 2 A levels) I applied straight away. It's been a long road and I've had to sacrifice a lot of free time and overtime at my full time job but I can happily say it's been worth it.

I'll keep you updated on the progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member Achievements

danswans

So yesterday I had my pre employment day at the HQ. Day started at 8am. We got split into 3 teams. A, B and C. Each team was taken on a round robin to have uniform fitting done, Minerva computer security NCALT package and hand in our new starter documents etc. We got issued our force numbers and login details for the computers. The day finished at around 2pm. The teams we were put into will be our teams for the next 19 weeks.

Again, it was amazing to be back within the police environment and I'm looking forward to starting next week.

Member Achievements

XA84

Might be worth editing your above log to keep it updated otherwise you tend to find updates get lost in comments. Just something I learned with my specials diary. ;-)

Member Achievements

danswans

So just thought be best to update the log so far

Monday 24th October - Day 1

Day 1 of my police career. I got up at 7.45am and got ready for the day ahead. Put on my smart suit and clothes and headed off to the force training school. Arrived at 8.20am ready for a 9am start. We got ushered into the lecture theatre and the general hustle and bustle drowned out by people talking. The day was a bit stop start, with a huge amount of "hello my name is and I used to work at" as you can imagine.

We got a welcome talk from the Assistant Chief Constable Shiner and the new Police Crime and Commissioner Matthew Scott. It was nice to be welcomed into the force officially by the senior management team. After the talks, we got split into our pre arranged teams. We are a cohort of 60 students split into 3 teams of 20. We got allocated a class room which is our "home" for the next 19 weeks. The rest the day was pretty much the same, loads of breaks and a little tiresome towards the end. 3.30pm finish and home.

Tuesday 25th October - Day 2

Day 2 today. We arrived for 8am and got taken to the on site gym facilities for a gym induction. That lasted approx an hour to get everyone done. We can now officially become "strong!!". After the gym induction, we went back to the classroom and talked over "discretion" and in what circumstances can police officers use discretion and not. Class input with all giving situations they thought discretion can and can't be used. After this we had an input on civil arguments / issues.

Lunch time next and after lunch we returned to the lecture theatre to meet with the Kent police recreation association which is our federation etc. I've signed up to a couple of things including the fed and life insurance. That again was pretty much the day over and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in properly. Tomorrow we have the magistrate coming and we swear the oath, officially become police officers and get our warrant cards. Also issued tomorrow are our PNBs. Exciting times.

Member Achievements

Bacon_sandwich

@danswans

If I remember correctly you said you gained independent patrol status with Kent as a special prior to becoming a regular officer.

Is the fact you were a special and had prior training taken Into consideration when it comes to your training or is your training going to be exactly the same as an external recruit?

I only ask because when I attended a Kent Special Constable open evening I was told that the independent patrol status would be done in three modules. Once all three modules were completed the plan was that anyone at that stage would only be required to complete a short conversion course prior to becoming a regular officer if they wanted to and the force were recruiting.

I am guessing this is not the case.

Member Achievements

danswans
@danswans

If I remember correctly you said you gained independent patrol status with Kent as a special prior to becoming a regular officer.

Is the fact you were a special and had prior training taken Into consideration when it comes to your training or is your training going to be exactly the same as an external recruit?

I only ask because when I attended a Kent Special Constable open evening I was told that the independent patrol status would be done in three modules. Once all three modules were completed the plan was that anyone at that stage would only be required to complete a short conversion course prior to becoming a regular officer if they wanted to and the force were recruiting.

I am guessing this is not the case.

Hi (great name! Hungry)

I was a special at Kent police since June last year. I gained independence status in April 2016. From there, I applied to become a regular like any other applicant. I didn't have two A levels so I had to do another route in.

What you're referring to is something Kent police are rolling out. Basically, as a special, you can become independent and then request to start "module 2". This is done very similar to the initial module 1. It's done as "a special" which means you don't get paid for it. It's a mixture of initial learning in the class room on weekends and then E learning for home. It's a good way of remaining as special constable whilst working towards becoming a regular. When you do initially join, you also start on the enhanced pay that a PC would be on after two years service.

It all depends which way you want to do it. I just used the specials as my eligibility but then applied via the website as an external candidate rather than doing it as a special. I wanted to get paid!!

Hope that makes sense

Have you got any news on your start date (are you joining?)

Dan

Member Achievements

Louise.F

I loved reading this - I start on 14th November and it's great to have an idea of what to expect on the first week!

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

danswans

Third week in update:

So Monday has gone for another week and today (7/11/16) was the start of my 3rd week. Time is going a little fast already and we haven't really done any "proper police" stuff. So during my second week I had my diversity placements. These are a chance for you to go out and about as a warranted police officer into some diverse / difficult organisations or employments. I had a school for learning difficulties. It was very challenging but a really important two days. Feedback forms given based on the two days and that's the diversity module finished. Friday last week we had our first set of "exams" - one diversity input and one definitions exam. We should get results for the diversity input tomorrow but feedback from the definitions test was 93%. Over the moon with that score.

This week we planned some more "police stuff" like powers of entry, powers of arrest, radio airwaves, caution and significant statements and of course we get to pick up our uniform ready to start (finally!!) wearing from Monday. So far it's going very well and as a team we are starting to gel. The quieter people are slowly coming out of their shell and we have a really good bunch.

I almost forgot.... Today was our first personal training session and wow. My legs and arms are so sore!! We have the dreaded "Chiefs PT" on Thursday morning (6.30am start!) so that's put me on a downer for the rest of the week...

Hopefully you're still enjoying my posts! I shall update you soon.

• Like 3

Member Achievements

miffy

Do you find some parts of training difficult to focus as you've done it before as a Special?  I think it would be really weird to go from a Special who has done most things to go back and relearn it.

I take it they are going to give you brand new kit and reissue you everything, even though you had all the kit as a Special? 

Member Achievements

Sir Penguin
10 hours ago, miffy said:

Do you find some parts of training difficult to focus as you've done it before as a Special?  I think it would be really weird to go from a Special who has done most things to go back and relearn it.

I take it they are going to give you brand new kit and reissue you everything, even though you had all the kit as a Special? 

The big thing for me is that you will realise you won't have done/learnt most things as a special. 

I recently made the transition and they gave me a full new set of kit. Always handy to have one as a spare.

A very good blog though :)

Member Achievements

There are 6 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David