PC to Inspector Internal Fast Track Scheme

trickyd1991

During another few discussions with friends, family and colleagues, we stumbled across the topic of CoP's Fast Track Programme for Serving Constables, so after having searched the current topics and being unable to find one similar, I thought I'd start one for discussion.

Does anyone have any experience with this current scheme, whether it be as a candidate or as someone who has worked with one of the candidates? What are your experiences, and the pros/cons?

someone on my team is on the external one. spoke to them about what they had to do to get in. it sounded pretty rigorous and i'd be surprised if someone with no policing experience would pass it.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

1 hour ago, grumeister said:

someone on my team is on the external one. spoke to them about what they had to do to get in. it sounded pretty rigorous and i'd be surprised if someone with no policing experience would pass it.

What did they have to do to get in out of curiousity?

You need a degree, pass standard SEARCH to a higher score and then went to Bramshill (as it was) for another assessment centre which consisted of a presentation, a role play along the lines of HR issues, wrote a written proposal of sorts and were subjected to a much more taxing interview (I'm afraid my memory of all this is a little sketchy though). Then if you were in the top 50 I think of the people at that assessment centre you went to another one and were whittled down to the final number. I don't know exactly what that second date involved though.

I have to say that much as I think some of those who were successful are very able individuals I think it is too much too soon and we would be far better focussing on the standard two years and then in service fast track schemes. That way a certain core foundation is achieved in reality as much as on paper. Those who are soon to become inspectors will I suspect struggle if they end up in front line roles and depend much more on those below them then traditional inspectors have done.

Sent from my HTC One using the Police Community App

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AA101 said:

You need a degree, pass standard SEARCH to a higher score and then went to Bramshill (as it was) for another assessment centre which consisted of a presentation, a role play along the lines of HR issues, wrote a written proposal of sorts and were subjected to a much more taxing interview (I'm afraid my memory of all this is a little sketchy though). Then if you were in the top 50 I think of the people at that assessment centre you went to another one and were whittled down to the final number. I don't know exactly what that second date involved though.

I have to say that much as I think some of those who were successful are very able individuals I think it is too much too soon and we would be far better focussing on the standard two years and then in service fast track schemes. That way a certain core foundation is achieved in reality as much as on paper. Those who are soon to become inspectors will I suspect struggle if they end up in front line roles and depend much more on those below them then traditional inspectors have done.

Obviously, with the serving constable scheme, it's slightly different as you don't need the degree to begin with, but everything else at the National Assessment Centre will be very similar I'd imagine.

1 hour ago, AA101 said:

If my memory serves it was

• Make decisions regarding planning an event and prepare a briefing on it
  • Presentation on cost-saving measures
  • Roleplay (as you said involving some HR issues)
  • Competency-Based interview (based on the competencies for Superintendent IIRC)

As far as I'm aware, everyone who didn't make the cut at Bramshill was offered a regular PC's job anyway, as they'd already passed their SEARCH assessment, and most of the successful high-potential applicants voluntarily left the scheme to become 'normal' PCs anyway. I do know of a few who were officially promoted on less than two years' service though.

Although it's not massively relevant to internal applicants, I agree with you; although all of the successful grad entrants I know who were promoted, were going to become skippers in various CID units.. perhaps the move away from the front line was intentional by the job, or perhaps it was simply the roles the applicants were more interested in.

Edited by Growley

That's interesting because many of those I know of are L2 PSU commanders and ERT sergeants! I assume also that you mean they are PS' in proactive units as none were allowed to do their DCs etc?

48 minutes ago, AA101 said:

That's interesting because many of those I know of are L2 PSU commanders and ERT sergeants! I assume also that you mean they are PS' in proactive units as none were allowed to do their DCs etc?

The few I know (or should say 'knew', I haven't kept in touch) have all gone to various CSU units. I'm sure I remember having a conversation with one about him becoming a DS, and deferring his own promotion due to spending so much time on courses and not enough time doing the job, but it's been years so I couldn't be certain.

I've only met one person on the fast-track to Inspector scheme and he was the absolute worst Sgt I've ever had the displeasure to work with.

He was one of the people who give the scheme a bad name.

Edited by Klaus

If the frequent criticisms of management, which is usually seen as Insp and above, is to be believed or accepted, it would be fair to at the current system certainly needs to be updated and revised

Not that long ago almost ALL admin or non-frontline jobs were done by PCs etc and headed by a Ch Supt or similar.  And yet that would seem quite strange in today's service.   Much of management is down to an individuals skills rather than service in different roles.

fast track or direct entry or whatever, IMHO can work - just need the right people in place.  

21 hours ago, Klaus said:

I've only met one person on the fast-track to Inspector scheme and he was the absolute worst Sgt I've ever had the displeasure to work with.

He was one of the people who give the scheme a bad name.

Dare I ask you to elaborate, or would that be unfair/unprofessional?

Dare I ask you to elaborate, or would that be unfair/unprofessional?

Although my comments would be completely fair, what has happened is not suitable for public posting.

I'll just leave it as saying the Sgt has raised management concerns as regards both misconduct and performance.