Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Remmy

Undercover bike cops launch 'best ever' cycle safety scheme in Birmingham

Remmy

When Mark Hodson gets on his bike in the morning, like many cyclists in the UK, he has come to expect a few close calls. Perhaps drivers will whizz past him too close, or someone will even try a ‘punishment pass’. Luckily, Hodson is a West Midlands Police traffic officer, albeit in plain clothes, and just yards up the road a colleague in a police car is waiting to pull over drivers that give him less than 1.5m space when overtaking (a distance that increases for faster speeds and larger vehicles).

Undercover bike cops launch 'best ever' cycle safety scheme in Birmingham | Environment | The Guardian

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2016/sep/16/undercover-bike-cops-launch-best-ever-cycle-safety-scheme-in-birmingham?client=ms-android-orange-gb

Member Achievements

Jasper

I took up cycling again about 4 years ago after a gap of some decades . ar first I had a lot of trouble with cars cutting me up and various rage incidents where people wanted to fight me etc and yuffs hararrasing me.

Until I realised that how I dressed effected what others did. In my cycling gear and helmet I looked every bit of what I am, a middle aged easy mark.

However when I ditched the cycle gear and wore combats, boots a hooded top and a base ball cap. I looked like a scote on a bike and like magic the cars gave me more room and the yuffs started saying hello ( and trying to buy weed off me) rather than throwing beer cans. 

i now cruse the roads, alleyways and underpasses of this fair city with impunity , apart from the busses, they will run over you as soon as look at you, but you cant have everything !

Edited by Jasper

Member Achievements

David

Let's hope the same officer will also look at and for cyclists who thunder along pavements weaving through pedestrians, often shouting abuse at those who dare to be walking on it at the time, and those who don't think traffic lights (or any other road regulation for that matter) apply to them.

• Like 3

Member Achievements

obsidian_eclipse
Let's hope the same officer will also look at and for cyclists who thunder along pavements weaving through pedestrians, often shouting abuse at those who dare to be walking on it at the time, and those who don't think traffic lights (or any other road regulation for that matter) apply to them.

The unenforceable pedestrianised areas marked up with cycling prohibited signs. You look a wally when people cycle through with impunity because few people ever stop when you ask. It's not like you catch them on foot, unless it involves some pre-emptive clothes line technique or rugby tackle which is perhaps over the top in most circumstances.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Member Achievements

David

Sadly I agree, but it doesn't rob me of my point.

Member Achievements

Radman
Sadly I agree, but it doesn't rob me of my point.

Some cyclists really do think they are above it all.

The looks and arguments you get from some of them when you DARE stop and speak to them over their cycling.

Its not as big of an issue where I am now but in London I can remember nearly being taken out on numerous occassions by cyclists running reds ect.

Sent from my SM-G920F using the Police Community App

Member Achievements

Remmy

I have to agree with all the above points. I used to commute to work by cycling, so many near misses, it doesn't bear thinking about. However then you get the prats who erode any goodwill of motorists with inconsiderate cycling and blatant disregard for the highway code.

I still think this is a good idea however, cyclists can be annoying but rarely lethal to others, driving too close to a cyclist on the other hand often leads to serious injury or death!

Member Achievements

Jasper

Maybe they could enforce Moby phone use at the same time ?

Member Achievements

Radman
Maybe they could enforce Moby phone use at the same time ?

Im surprised West Midlands still has a traffic unit, the local county force where I am have all been merged into an operational support group alongside Dogs, Firearms and OSU.

Member Achievements

Jasper

I fund it hard to believe its any more than a good news story, spread the safety message then get in with something else. Or I doubt this Will be happening once the weather turns to winter

Member Achievements

Techie1

Im surprised West Midlands still has a traffic unit, the local county force where I am have all been merged into an operational support group alongside Dogs, Firearms and OSU.

I think CMPG took over Roads Policing (from Operations Dept).

Even if the cycling is just a one off publicity thing, hopefully it will help - hopefully more people will give cyclists extra room when overtaking.

Member Achievements

obsidian_eclipse

I've seen some terrible near misses involving cyclists, on the roads this tends to be due to a lack of awareness from vehicle drivers and there's little to protect them unlike those in a hulking ton of metal. These drivers though arent just a menace to cyclists however an interaction with the cyclist is likely to end up in death or life changing injuries where-as a dented bumper or door is nothing.

Cyclists, particularly in pedestrianised areas can be just as dangerous as their vehicular counterparts. Especially when they blame the pedestrians for being in their way, somewhat ironic. It is difficult to deal with, on occasion my colleague was on his bike and called to stop a cyclist who refused to comply with my instructions to stop (a clear breach of prohibited cycling areas) he had his earphones on so couldn't hear. Riding around in your own world with one of your key senses plugged up is a bad choice indeed, in this situation it involved a rather disgruntled officer tackling him because he failed to stop but it could have been a rear ender by dangerous driver and he wouldn't and heard them coming.

Member Achievements

Jasper
33 minutes ago, obsidian_eclipse said:

I've seen some terrible near misses involving cyclists, on the roads this tends to be due to a lack of awareness from vehicle drivers and there's little to protect them unlike those in a hulking ton of metal. These drivers though arent just a menace to cyclists however an interaction with the cyclist is likely to end up in death or life changing injuries where-as a dented bumper or door is nothing.

Cyclists, particularly in pedestrianised areas can be just as dangerous as their vehicular counterparts. Especially when they blame the pedestrians for being in their way, somewhat ironic. It is difficult to deal with, on occasion my colleague was on his bike and called to stop a cyclist who refused to comply with my instructions to stop (a clear breach of prohibited cycling areas) he had his earphones on so couldn't hear. Riding around in your own world with one of your key senses plugged up is a bad choice indeed, in this situation it involved a rather disgruntled officer tackling him because he failed to stop but it could have been a rear ender by dangerous driver and he wouldn't and heard them coming.

Agree

Push bikes are one of the many thing that if they were invented / discovered now rather than 100s  of years ago would be banned as to dangerous

You do need to be careful when policing their use as the law s are a bit archaic. The law to stop a bike when told to be a PC only apply in a road, so possibly not a pedestrian area? and of course cycling in a pedestrian area its self may not be illegal despite the signs dependent on what you mean by the term

Edited by Jasper

Member Achievements

David

If I recall correctly, cycling in a pedestrian centre is illegal only when signage is appropriately approved and installed: a council can't just put up signs saying 'no cycling' for it to be illegal.

However, cycling on pavements is illegal as is disregard for proper road signs and signals.

Member Achievements

Jasper
2 hours ago, David said:

If I recall correctly, cycling in a pedestrian centre is illegal only when signage is appropriately approved and installed: a council can't just put up signs saying 'no cycling' for it to be illegal.

However, cycling on pavements is illegal as is disregard for proper road signs and signals.

Yes what you said, plus a bit .more

Cycling on the footway, what is commonly called ''the pavement''ie the area at the side of a road set aside for pedestrians is illegal under the highways act 1800and something . cycling in pedestrian areas is areas isnt illegal unless there is a specific bylaw prohibiting it which generally there is not. If there is a bylaw you would need to prosecute under that, which means you can't use the fpn

Confusion arises when the council stick up pedestrian area signs  closing off roads or squares or precincts to vehicals. these may or may not have a traffic order to support them,but even if they have the offence is riding passed the sign,similar to a no entry sign.so if you push past the sign and then remount, no offence is committed, if there is no traffic order at all, then clearly no offence. 

Edited by Jasper

Member Achievements