Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Fedster

Dramatic footage shows London policeman smashing car windscreen after driver refuses to get out of vehicle

Fedster

This dramatic video shows the moment a police officer smashes a car windscreen after a driver refuses to get out of his vehicle.

Full Story - Mirror

This video is doing the rounds on social media, many people including Lee Jasper using it as a propaganda video for their own agenda.

Many people trying to imply the officers are behaviour is racist, not sure how that is? Buzzfeed are trying to find the driver to make an article about it.

Edited by Fedster
Article added

Member Achievements

Radman

I dont know what went off before as it appears the footage has been edited down BUT the cop was very... animated...

Sent from my SM-G920F using the Police Community App

Member Achievements

Jasper
4 hours ago, Radman said:

I dont know what went off before as it appears the footage has been edited down BUT the cop was very... animated...

Yes he seemed very cross, hope he had a good reason for wanting the guy out of the car so much he decided to break the windows

Member Achievements

QRDovan
1 hour ago, Jasper said:

Yes he seemed very cross, hope he had a good reason for wanting the guy out of the car so much he decided to break the windows

Surely if he was refusing to give his licence and insurance (I assume he was as he said his name was something else once out the car) then the officer can use 165A to force entry if seizing? Seems only power he could use as fail to provide documents is not covered by S17 entry.

Member Achievements

Jasper
1 hour ago, QRDovan said:

Surely if he was refusing to give his licence and insurance (I assume he was as he said his name was something else once out the car) then the officer can use 165A to force entry if seizing? Seems only power he could use as fail to provide documents is not covered by S17 entry.

If you listen it comes over the radio as only a provisional licence. 

So grounds to seize under 165a. But he doesn't tell him the car will be seized, he just tells him to get out. Bizarrely when he does eventually  get out the other officer tells him to get back in again 

Im sure there are circumstances when pulling our a knife and trying to cut a hole in a windscreen is reasonable and proportionate force but I'm not sure no DL is one of them

Member Achievements

QRDovan
50 minutes ago, Jasper said:

If you listen it comes over the radio as only a provisional licence. 

So grounds to seize under 165a. But he doesn't tell him the car will be seized, he just tells him to get out. Bizarrely when he does eventually  get out the other officer tells him to get back in again 

Im sure there are circumstances when pulling our a knife and trying to cut a hole in a windscreen is reasonable and proportionate force but I'm not sure no DL is one of them

Didn't hear that first time, thanks very much.

I agree the use of the knife was way too excessive but there is the debate generally regarding when the putting in of someone's window is proportionate and reasonable. From my point of view if an officer has asked for documents and the driver refuses/is disqualified etc and won't come out of the car despite PAW being used numerous times  then I would support any officer who puts in a window in order to seize the vehicle as long as they have tried every other option.

The issue in the situation is the complete lack of communication skills, the use of the knife and the officer not using the correct legislation/powers.  Smashing the front window screen... not really achieving much in terms of gaining entry!

Member Achievements

ParochialYokal

Nobody knows what caused the vehicle to be stopped or whether there was any intelligence on the vehicle or driver.

The Officer could have conducted himself in a manner where he looked a little less angry and more in control, but anyone can have a bad day.

Was it reasonable to put the window in? Possibly...

I don't believe that the Officer made clear that he was going to effect entry. If you are going to kick someone's door down, for example, I believe that there is case law that says you should at least tell someone that you intend to do it if they are refusing entry. I would assume that the same principle applies to a car?

Sent from my iPhone usring Police Community

Member Achievements

grumeister
Smashing the front window screen... not really achieving much in terms of gaining entry!

I think he may have been going for the key which the driver put on the dash. slightly strange though as he could of just smashed the drivers window and got it probably causing less damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

SimonT

Powers of entry wise, stating the power and intention clearly before action is best practice.  

Unless there is serious urgency,  say the person has just been tpacked into a barrier and needs to be extracted before they break away etc 

It's not clear as to the cause for the urgency in this case. there may be one. but on the face of it they know the driver and the car, the driver is cooperating to the extent of the law.

not sure why all the rush. 

Member Achievements

mike88

I've seen a longer bit of footage and it sounds like the car has tinted windows, the officers says ''I can't see who you are in that car'' and asks if there's anyone else in the car. Not sure if that would change things, suppose he could've perceived the vehicle/occupants as more of a threat especially if there's intel on it...

Member Achievements

Growley
I agree the use of the knife was way too excessive

Why is the use of the knife excessive?

If it's legitimately carried for use at work, and there is a legitimate power to force entry to the car, then the knife is irrelevant.
  • Like 2

Member Achievements

Radman

We all have bad days, I like to think I'd have explained things a little more to the driver before forcing entry.

I dont understand why he went for the windscreen though...

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Remmy

I'm not going to comment on the officers attitude, demeanour or his justification, we simply don't have enough information to pass judgement. However all this could have been avoided by the driver stepping out when asked, simple.

But I have to wonder if it's not something officers should be trained in? I have practiced this for years, as it forms part of a tactic. It's not as easy at it looks but technique and right equipment helps a lot. Always go for the corner, especially if the window is partially open. Casco's aren't great a leatherman or better still a glass hammer are far more effective. Couldn't really see the point in attacking the windscreen to be honest.

Member Achievements

There are 201 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David