Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
ForceHQ

Police cars with containment cells

ForceHQ

I was looking at the price comparison for police kit online and noticed that North Wales police purchase cars that have a containment cell in the back of them, after loads of digging i managed to find a partial picture showing a divider between the front and the back of the car, akin to US cop cars.

Has anyone used a car like this or have any experience regarding them as I have never come across them before.

Member Achievements

SimonT

We had a couple. Now discontinued.  

As far as i heard it was bloody dangerous to get someone out of the back if they were non compliant.  

As no one sits in the back the person could easily get feet towards you and make it very hard to get them out. 

Member Achievements

Bacon_sandwich

It certainly seems to make sense for forces that are relatively isolated to have a section in their car to keep prisoners.

Sent from my iPhone usring Police Community

Member Achievements

MerseyLLB

TVP trialled this year's ago. Not sure what came of it.

Member Achievements

Traffic Rat

Several years ago Chesire had Zafira set up like that. It was hated, as the modular rear unit limited the rear slide of the drivers seat, so anyone over 5'6 was squashed and cramped behind the wheel.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using the Police Community App

Member Achievements

ForceHQ

Thanks for the input guys, It seams that the positives are outweighed by the negatives!

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut

Pain in the backside, literally. Stops you moving the drivers seat and the fan for the cage was noisy as hell. Good idea but not for an Astra estate 

Member Achievements

TangoOne

Yet we had an Astra estate that was better than the zafira we trialled years ago. The pod was behind the front passenger seat but wasn't the biggest pod.
Wouldn't like the customer to get angry once they're in there though.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

MerseyLLB
47 minutes ago, TangoOne said:

Yet we had an Astra estate that was better than the zafira we trialled years ago. The pod was behind the front passenger seat but wasn't the biggest pod.
Wouldn't like the customer to get angry once they're in there though.

Surely better than they get angry (as they do) with no divide.

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut

Most cars in th UK are just to small to make cages practical, but anything is better than fighting them through the gap in the front seats

Member Achievements

Eddzz!!
I was looking at the price comparison for police kit online and noticed that North Wales police purchase cars that have a containment cell in the back of them, after loads of digging i managed to find a partial picture showing a divider between the front and the back of the car, akin to US cop cars.

Has anyone used a car like this or have any experience regarding them as I have never come across them before.

Currently we have a fleet of Ford Focus estates with a containment "bubble" that entirely replaces the back seats and interior door panels . The force are trialling replacements for the Fords at the moment (no idea why, I think they are brilliant). Indeed the only issue with them is the restriction on moving the seat back. However in reality this is only going to be an issue if you're over 6' 4" or so.

Sent from my D6603 using the Police Community App

Member Achievements

TangoOne
Surely better than they get angry (as they do) with no divide.

Nope. We very very rarely transport in cars. Most go in vans. We are getting to a stage that there are more vans than cars.
For those that do, yep these pods are better than no pod.

Member Achievements

Klaus

I quite like the look of the little vans (transit connect or similar) in use by police Scotland. Seems like a good solution (or the best that there can be)

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut
14 minutes ago, Klaus said:

I quite like the look of the little vans (transit connect or similar) in use by police Scotland. Seems like a good solution (or the best that there can be)

North Yorks had them but were told to stop using them because the cage wasn't big enough I believe.  At least that's what I was told by on of their PC's

Member Achievements

AnthonyB

SYP used to have them, nicknamed Scooby Vans or Johnny Cabs (depending on your film & TV preferences...)

Phased out allegedly because there was an incident in a force using them where a DP came to harm as they weren't constantly observed - the seats all facing forward and obstructing view. Also the emergency escape door required the back crew seats (& all the junk stuffed behind them removed as there was no room for the required scale of equipment to be held) to be dropped forward and the DP climb out.

Their replacement, the larger Vauxhall Vivaro has at least one of the two rear seats rotatable to face the rear cage and there is no centre rear seat so the emergency exit door is unimpeded.

Johnny Cab (I preferred taking this out than a car due to the cage allowing me & my oppo to be able to offer transport assistance to district as all the vans were usually stuck in town when we were on)

15021983644_9c88ec1bd8_b.jpg

The replacement (this one is NYP, but via the same Regional Procurement) - I also liked taking these for the same reasons, but  the PCSO's usually pinched it as they went out mob handed.

p1340096.jpg

• Like 1

Member Achievements

There are 20 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David