On 9/25/2016 at 23:23, Klaus said:

We do a 3 day course to get C1/D1/PSU for non-response. 1 day learning C1, 1 day learning D1, half day doing the assessments, half day familiarisation on PSU.

If you're already response, you do a 5 day course, which is the above but with an additional amount of time learning to drive the PSU in response mode.

Jeez. I have got my D1 (3 day course up North) and when I did my response course I was advised that I didn't need to come back. I was automatically allowed to drive a van on blues. I have to say I agree with the Met on adding more days, it's completely different driving a big van on blues in comparison to a car. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eebs

• Klaus

• HazRat

• XA84

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

XA84, That's pretty much how I ended up driving the carrier or  "big van" as we called it. Another special and myself put in for the   "familiarisation drive" (which is what was then)  for the personn

Quite common in my force and the force itself is an approved DVLA test centre so the theory and practical is all done by the driving school. As above, less and less recruits have the grandfather

I'm guessing no seatbelts so prisoners are technically cargo?

Posted Images

I have D1 on my licence as I passed early enough to get it by default. Last week my self and another special managed to get on a crew bus assessment with driver training. It's took about 3 hours all in, we both went out with an instructor and took it in turns driving.

We went on the motorway, round town with narrow corners and some country roads. Did a bit of reversing and parking, all the time getting good input from the trainer on general driving technique etc.

Turned out to be a really good morning, and now we have crew bus tickets for ops etc.

It's currently the same in our force, that if you have response then you can respond in a crew bus without additional training, although the trainer did suggest that might well be changing soon.

I have D1 on my licence as I passed early enough to get it by default. Last week my self and another special managed to get on a crew bus assessment with driver training. It's took about 3 hours all in, we both went out with an instructor and took it in turns driving.

We went on the motorway, round town with narrow corners and some country roads. Did a bit of reversing and parking, all the time getting good input from the trainer on general driving technique etc.

Turned out to be a really good morning, and now we have crew bus tickets for ops etc.

It's currently the same in our force, that if you have response then you can respond in a crew bus without additional training, although the trainer did suggest that might well be changing soon.

How many seats do you have on your crew bus? That's what it's all to do with really. I know some county ones have a couple in the back and a customer cage to the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

How many seats do you have on your crew bus? That's what it's all to do with really. I know some county ones have a couple in the back and a customer cage to the rear.

It's only 7 in the back from memory as the storage for the shields etc and the cage take up the rest of the space.

Edit: we do have vito vans that anybody with a to b can drive with 3 rear seats and a cage.

northernape

GMP's are 6 in the back but there are 3 up front so it's 9 and needs a D1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 passenger seats in the front?!

4 hours ago, HazRat said:

9 seats including driver is category B licence.

Unless it's got a cage. Those using it are classed as extra passengers meaning D1 is required 

17 minutes ago, Bob123 said:

Unless it's got a cage. Those using it are classed as extra passengers meaning D1 is required 

They didn't mention a cage, hence why I said that 9 seats is a category B. I can only base a response on the information available. Perhaps @northernape could clarify if these vehicles have a caged cell?

8 hours ago, northernape said:

No cage in ours. Always been told you need d1 on your licence by driving school, so maybe it's the weight? Not sure. We use twin wheel high top long wheelbase vw crafters. I think some of the newer ones have 7 seats in the back too.

northernape

No you might be right, I don't often sit up front in a carrier so perhaps it's 2 (incl driver) for a total of 8. We do have carriers with cages but in my experience most just have shelves for shields and PSU gear / chocolate.

No cage in ours. Always been told you need d1 on your licence by driving school, so maybe it's the weight? Not sure. We use twin wheel high top long wheelbase vw crafters. I think some of the newer ones have 7 seats in the back too.

Weight doesn't have anything to do with D1. If it is over 3.5t MAM then it becomes C1, assuming it's still 8 or less passengers.

• 10 months later...

Is it possible to ask to do the PSU Serial van (carrier) after completing my blue light training for cars and light vans like a Vivaro? Or is it something that I would need to request a couple of years in service. 

3 minutes ago, XA84 said:

Is it possible to ask to do the PSU Serial van (carrier) after completing my blue light training for cars and light vans like a Vivaro? Or is it something that I would need to request a couple of years in service. 

Force specific, but PSU carrier should be a separate course unless it is part of the response course.

• Like 1