Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

XA84

Afternoon all, 

I'm hoping to get some clarification on the D1 category. I understand that this is this required for the larger PSU vehicles like the typical IVECO ones:

7449602080_07e4cbb4ec_b.jpg

I understand that this can be taken as a course through your own force but how does it work. Does the force teach you and then you go to the DVLA for an test or is there an approved examiner working with the police. 

I only ask as with every other vehicle it's just a case of whether you can drive a car unless your a motorcyclist :P

Thanks in advance. 

XA84

Eebs

To drive a D1 carrier you first need to provisional entitlement, which first requires a medical. If your own force won't do this it usually cost around £60 and can be done through your GP (Also tick the entitlement for all truck/bus, saves needing another one).

After the medicial comes theory, PCV (passanger carrying vehicle), then training/test, usually 1-2 days training. Your own force may put you through it, but in our force its very rare. As a special we have absolutely no chance (we even offered to pay!) They said no, so i did it out of my own pocket (As i also did Cat C, C+e, because...why not :) ) Your force may have its own DVLA examiner (ours for example, does), otherwise you'll go to an approved DVLA Test cente for LGV and PCV vehicles where an examiner will do it. (payed for by the force i imagine)

apologises if i didn't answer your question, what else/more/clarify did you want to know?

Shmook

With my force, they put you on the civi course and pay for it*, and then you take the force carrier test. Unless you're old enough to have D1 automatically (passed test before 01/01/1997), and you can be put forward for the carrier test.

*this never happens. Not enough need, and budget constraints.

XA84
Author of the topic Posted
4 minutes ago, Shmook said:

With my force, they put you on the civi course and pay for it*, and then you take the force carrier test. Unless you're old enough to have D1 automatically (passed test before 01/01/1997), and you can be put forward for the carrier test.

*this never happens. Not enough need, and budget constraints.

Yeah I sort of guessed, however a friend of mine has it but I think he got it as they were short on vehicles at the time. 

Eebs

In Humberside theres an in force trainer/examiner, Seen a couple (Actually probies as well) Do it, due to the station having a PSU van, and hardly anybody being able to drive it. :)

Richhamdo
1 hour ago, XA84 said:

Yeah I sort of guessed, however a friend of mine has it but I think he got it as they were short on vehicles at the time. 

XA84, That's pretty much how I ended up driving the carrier or  "big van" as we called it. Another special and myself put in for the   "familiarisation drive" (which is what was then)  for the personnel carrier (a transit at the time)mainly so we could take specials and cones etc  to events/race meetings  when there was nothing else to be had. the big van was usually parked up in the back yard feeling lonely, apart from Friday and Saturday nights that is.Anyway, one evening we both turned up at our home station and a traffic man who I know had been in for years gave us both an eye test in his office on that machine that you look into. We both had a d1 licence by the way because we had both been driving for years.

First he took out the other special for a drive and they were gone for over an hour, I was beginning to wonder what I had let myself in for. He came back anyway grinning. Off we went and he took us round every awkward spot he could find, back lanes, narrow streets in housing estates with cars parked either side, just enough room to get through, then round very twisty bits that he must have known about or chosen especially, well beforehand I think. Then I had to reverse it to the back of a big car park making sure to end up straight, and then park up somewhere in the middle between the cars. I think all he was bothered about with this bit was that any people inside could get out of the side door without being hindered by other cars. I have to confess that at the time I hadn't considered this factor but just chose a biggish bay with a car missing on the left, and as luck would have it there was plenty of room at the side for people/bobbies to get out, he said "that's fine, you've left plenty of room for people to get out" they were his very words,I kept quite and looked sheepish,  so just watch out for that.:D

As I may have mentioned before I had been driving transits in my day job for years so all this didn't really bother me too much, not sure if I told the traffic man that, anyway he was quite happy I could drive it and  I also passed . Don't expect all this to happen now, it won't because all this was in the good old days about twenty years ago or more, driver training do it now as we all know, and we also know how particular they are. The strange thing about it all was that about a month after,  one Friday night the shift sgt said to me can you take the big van out with another special, I said to him I can't sgt, I'm only A-B with it,  I can't "patrol" . Take it out anyway and have a drive around and stay handy. We all knew that the big van in town was a good deterrent against trouble makers and that we meant business.  I told the story of what happened next in a previous post so I won't bother with any more. Hope you get the chance of a test before too long. Rich.

Klaus

D1 is only required for a carrier if it has over 8 passenger seats. Some forces ones won't require it. Met carriers for example only have 8 passenger seats so don't need D1. They are however over 3.5t MAM so require C1 instead.

Yoshay

If you are WYP then the training (if you have no D1) is done in house and so is the examination. You then need to do another day course i believe to drive them in response mode if you have a standard permit. If you already have a D1 you need to go on a course to be able to drive the the larger police vehicles but not the D1 aquisition part. You have to submit a PER30 through your line manager to request the course.

andi

GMP everything is done in house, including theory test, medical etc. They're crying out for people to do it, because less and less people have d1 automatically now.

DB11

Quite common in my force and the force itself is an approved DVLA test centre so the theory and practical is all done by the driving school.

As above, less and less recruits have the grandfather rights entitlement so they're desperate for officers to be trained on D1 to drive the vans so it's about the only driving course that you don't need to ask twice for :lol:

I've got my theory in September for it

Edited by DB11

XA84
Author of the topic Posted (edited)

So I have a hypothetical question for you all. 

Say if somebody had a basic permit but asked their supervision if they could go on the course for the D1 vans, could they be trained in response whilst in the D1 vans before I receive it for the normal cars?

Edited by XA84
Cause I'm a tit!

Eebs

Response i believe is done for all vehicles, IE do your response course in a car, get basic driving in a van and you can respond in a van, if that makes sense? (if thats even what you were asking :P ) 

Reponse training is done in cars, Astras in our force, familiarisation drive in van/PSU- Can respond in them vehicles also, the skills are transferable :P 

Eebs
2 hours ago, XA84 said:

Say if somebody had a basic permit but asked their supervision if they could go on the course for the D1 vans, could they be trained in response whilst in the D1 vans before I receive it for the normal cars?

Response i believe is done for all vehicles, IE do your response course in a car, get basic driving in a van and you can respond in a van, if that makes sense? (if thats even what you were asking :P ) 

Reponse training is done in cars, Astras in our force, familiarisation drive in van/PSU- Can respond in them vehicles also, the skills are transferable :P 

edit; couldn't delete my other post :lol: 

Edited by Eebs

dean

One thing I know about WYP is I was told by a serving friend, that it takes ages to get sent for your driving permit and it's not uncommon for you to get teamed up with another officer after your 10 week tutor training for "some time".

Sent from my SM-G920F using the Police Community App

Klaus

Unlikely, as response mode in carriers is usually covered by a PSU driver ticket which is an add on to a response motorcar permit. You'd need car first! You could however be non-response carrier prior to being response motorcar

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community