Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

SmoothPear

Failed Specials Recruitment

SmoothPear

Alright, so this is for a friend of mine. They had signed up to volunteer for Specials, ended up passing everything except for the last test, I think it was the part where they scour every bit of the internet. The reason they had given for failing my friend was that he/she didn't use correct language on social media. What's bizarre is that they're not one to use brash language or crude humour. And even more so they had met my friend, interviewed, and had them take tests. Everything was spot on except social media. Can they really use that as a means to fail someone?

What's a good plan to move forward or get answers?

Member Achievements

Mazza

Your friend could probably ask for specific postings or comments that they have seen that have failed him, but Recruitment might not provide that information.  If he has a really common name, it could be a case of mistaken identity, but I doubt that.

It doesn't necessarily need to be brash or crude.  If he's made a politically incorrect comment that can be seen as sexist, racist, ageist, etc. that can land you in hot water.  Also if he is particularly politically active, that could also be a reason.

Did he review his public social media presence prior to applying?

And in answer to your first question - yes, it absolutely is a reason to fail someone.  They are VERY particular about social media in the police service, because 1) you could be spilling confidential information to a large number of people very easily, 2) you could bring the service into disrepute, and 3) you could be perceived as open to corruption.

• Like 3

Member Achievements

DB11

Why did you sign up just to post this on behalf of your friend? Maybe if they post and can provide a bit more detail it'd be more helpful. Did they fail at the vetting stage? Because you say they failed the last test so it sounds like you are referring to the assessment centre but social media would not fit into that.

Member Achievements

jon1car1

Can they fail over social media? Absolutely. On my intake there were 2 people who had previously been failed and had re applied, one as he had over 5000 friends and they said this was unrealistic and he could have no idea who or what they all were and he would have to whittle them down and re apply. And another who had made a comment about Chinese people that was viewed dimly he was advised to delete his profile and reapply. Your friend could always submit a subject access request to get all the information the force hold on them and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

Indiana Jones
37 minutes ago, jon1car1 said:

And another who had made a comment about Chinese people that was viewed dimly he was advised to delete his profile and reapply.

Doesn't fix the problem though, just kinda sweeps it under the carpet really.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

ParochialYokal
On my intake there were 2 people who had previously been failed and had re applied, one as he had over 5000 friends and they said this was unrealistic and he could have no idea who or what they all were and he would have to whittle them down and re apply.

Really? You can fail security checks for having too many online friends?

Sent from my iPhone usring Police Community

Member Achievements

Mazza
Really? You can fail security checks for having too many online friends?

Yep, I've heard of it happening here too.

Member Achievements

2wheelsgood

Yup, particularly if those friends are not so nice and make unfortunate comments / posts.

When you apply you / your friend need to be aware of your online presence and what it may suggest about you; if you have lots of online friends that you don't really know then what are the chances that they are all nice people are pillars of the community....

Personally I don't use social media (day job has restrictions not that sort of thing) so not a problem, but some people should worry about their online friends from the contents of some posts I hear about from my junior colleagues

Member Achievements

ParochialYokal
Yep, I've heard of it happening here too.

Good job I don't have any friends then :)

Member Achievements

TheFlomeister

Nothing I find more relaxing than having a good purge of people on Facebook!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Member Achievements

Posh
13 hours ago, TheFlomeister said:

Nothing I find more relaxing than having a good purge of people on Facebook!

Agreed! I went from just under 2000 to just over 200 and it was most refreshing.

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby

Well that's me never returning to a HO force, if they ever see my posts about the IPCC I am well and truly stuffed.

Member Achievements

Cathedral Bobby

Now there's a question, do they look at this site because if they do, then most of us are stuffed.

Member Achievements

quickdantheman

Cathedral Bobby - Your humour is both refreshing and accurate. I myself didn't realise that friends of friends views can lead back to you for accountability. Eye opening!

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David