Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Mazza

The EU Referendum Discussion Thread

Mazza

We had a big topic running for the general election , so I thought I'd create one for our next big vote as a nation.

So the question is...

Brexit or Bremain?

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

Techie1

Shouldn't we have a poll for this? :-) 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Remmy

Shouldn't we agree a budget for those campaigning for the IN or OUT vote for this poll to keep it fair?

Of course the mods can choose to spend public money (our money) why we should remain in, but that's not campaigning so it's still fair :huh:

Member Achievements

Reasonable Man

No appetite for a discussion on here then you see the one on the 'other' forum.

No need to discuss anyway really - just vote remain.

Sent from me using witchcraft

Member Achievements

Chief Cheetah

I think I'm firmly siding with the remain side but it has been confusing at times with each side saying some truly odd things.  Cutting through the lies and speculation hasn't been easy so I'd advise everyone to do their own research as well as listening to both parties before making a rash decision based on one or two soundbites or your favouritism toward a particular politician.

24 minutes ago, Reasonable Man said:

@Reasonable Man, Someone brought that discussion to my attention and suggested they may want to re-name PoliceUK into PoliceUKIP.  It made me laugh anyway even though it was quite scary.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

ParochialYokal

Britain in Europe is greater than the sum of its parts. We play an oversized role in the world stage and we need to remain in order to continue to do so.

Britain will never be 'great' on its own again.

Exiting Europe will have a significant financial impact on millions of people. Anything that is going to increase by mortgage repayments is something that I could never support.

Sent from my iPhone usring Police Community

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Fedster
1 hour ago, Reasonable Man said:

Oh dear sounds ominous, tried to view their discussion but the forum is down.

Anyway I think we should remain in the EU, lots of scaremongering but surely working together with other EU countries on a wide range of issues will help us, having an us and them mentality is surely no good for anybody.

Member Achievements

Remmy

I seem to be in the minority here as I'm swaying towards out.

I think it's fair to say both campaigns have engaged in scaremongering and if anything I think that the remain campaign have been the more negative of the two.

The problem is there are no HARD facts it's all opinions and conjecture. 

3 hours ago, ParochialYokal said:

Exiting Europe will have a significant financial impact on millions of people. Anything that is going to increase by mortgage repayments is something that I could never support.

I remain open minded so please feel free to convince me why I should vote to remain. Perhaps starting with the above argument have you got any proof to support this?

Edited by Remmy

Member Achievements

Reasonable Man

I have spent 18 months investigating what evidence and facts there are out there as I was an undecided. The problem is for every 'we will be overrun by benefits seeking immigrants' claim by one side there is the 'without the economic benefit that EU migrants bring we couldn't afford to pay the old age pension' from the other.

Fullfact.org is a good independent site.

Whichever way you look it is about prediction and as the financial warnings say, 'past performance is no guarantee of future growth'. In or out things will change over time and whenever something bad happens the side that lost the referendum will cry, 'It wouldn't have happened had we remained/left.'

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Bacon_sandwich

I am voting out.

I believe both sides have tried to scare monger but of the two the remain campaign has been worse.

I also do not believe the EU brings any great advantage that we would not be able to replicate in the fullness of time.

It almost certainly will be a bumpy few years if we do exit but I think long term benefits will be greater.

We will have to take the rough with the smooth and we need to look further than the next five years.

Member Achievements

Richhamdo

I can't just remember now how I voted last time, but probably voted to stay in because I liked Ted Heath. Whether or not you believe that it was his  "greatest achievement"  to join the common market I am voting to remain, I was never going to do anything else, I certainly don't want fuel costs to go up, "better the devil you know than the devil you don't" is what I say :).Rich.

Member Achievements

Jinxer

If we vote to stay will we then be called Remainian's

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Techie1

I'll be voting to remain too.

Member Achievements

Nim

In for me. I don't think the system is perfect and there are a lot of things I dislike about the EU but I think there have been a lot of good things that have come about from the EU such as fair pay for women and the continuing collaborations between hundreds of scientists, doctors and lawyers as well as the right to free healthcare and living arrangements across the EU and that withdrawing would leave us in a financially insecure position in terms of having to renegotiate the trade agreements when we're already in the largest free market in the world. If we're in we can at least influence things to the better.

If we have a poll we'd have to have a 'do the hokey-pokey' option for the undecided... (IN. OUT. IN. OUT... etc, get it)? Oooo turning into Bagpuss...... :o

Member Achievements

There are 526 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David