Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
Jayb27

Training starting soon.

Jayb27

Hello,

Its been A long process but I have finally recieved my training start date for the role of PCSO. My training is to start in about 3 weeks!

I am really looking forward to starting my training and the role istelf but i was wondering what equiptment i may need for the job? I know i will have to get some boots but what else will i need?
I have worked in the prsion service for three years so im thinking some of my equiptment such as Viper belts and pouches will be transferable?

Thank you in advance for the answers given :)

Member Achievements

powdermonkey
5 hours ago, Jayb27 said:

Hello,

Its been A long process but I have finally recieved my training start date for the role of PCSO. My training is to start in about 3 weeks!

I am really looking forward to starting my training and the role istelf but i was wondering what equiptment i may need for the job? I know i will have to get some boots but what else will i need?
I have worked in the prsion service for three years so im thinking some of my equiptment such as Viper belts and pouches will be transferable?

Thank you in advance for the answers given :)

It depends on your force as what you get seems to vary so much.  Certainly you'll need to buy your own boots and your force may have certain rules regarding them; mine says no steel toe caps.  I also bought my own torch and a hands free light as all the force provided was a mini Maglite which was so weak it was useless.  Other than that, I'd recommend thermal waterproof gloves,  a snood/scarf and some thermals - vest & leggings (but get ones with "access" if you see what I mean). You should get supplied with waterproof over trousers.   As to which brand etc for any of that stuff it depends on your budget.  Your belt & pouches will come in useful.  It depends on how much you're prepared to carry around.  I have latex gloves, disinfectant hand wipe, torch, Bite Back, the job's Samsung, contact cards, tickets, pens, multi-tool (from another role in the police), notebook.  Other than that, there's my fags & lighter and my own mobile. And my specs.  Some colleagues carry far less, some more.  My advice is to carry the minimum as it's all about weight.  You can always replenish tickets, gloves etc

If you carry your own mobile I'd recommend getting a reliable weather app so you can judge what to wear and get maps (most phones have google maps).  I also use Google translate.  You might want to get some music, games or books on your own phone for when you're stuck on a boring scene guard :) 

Finally, congratulations, make the most of your training and I hope you enjoy the job.

Eddzz!!
Certainly you'll need to buy your own boots and your force may have certain rules regarding them; mine says no steel toe caps.

Can I ask if you know why they have that rule? That seems like absolute madness to me!

Member Achievements

Shmook

Some forces allow them for public order only.

mine, however, issues them as standard to everyone!

OP, regarding your existing kit, wait until you see what's issued. There may be force policy that you wear standard kit for example. At least ask first.

get some scrote gel. You often need it after dealing with customers. A case for your phone if you're going to carry it (And who doesn't, really), and maybe a car charger for it. I use mine for maps/satnav sometimes and it can get a hammering.

latex gloves are free at the nick, no need to buy any.

I've a bag full of warm kit. Lugged it to the car most shifts. Never worn any of it! It may be different for other cops who recommend it, but I've always been ok in what's issued, save for an underarmour shirt base layer on cold nights. I police a coastal northern town and never had need for extra hats, scarves etc, but I appreciate everyone is different. :)

a torch is nigh-on essential. We are issued an LED AA maglite, which is surprisingly good. Easily on a par with my fenix LD20 for example. Saying that, a lot of cops here have LED Lenser torches, either the P7 or newer 7.2.

get a pocket A-Z of your town. I was told this before I started, and I'd probably my most used bit of kit, especially if I'm in the co pilots seat!

good luck :)

Member Achievements

powdermonkey
3 hours ago, Eddzz!! said:

Can I ask if you know why they have that rule? That seems like absolute madness to me!

It was explained to me that it was in case I accidentally kicked someone.  My reply was that it wouldn't be accidental and it would be because I was being attacked.  You can buy boots that have a reinforced toe that isn't made of steel but I don't know if that falls under the same rule.  The only people who get boots issued as far as I know are specials (because they're volunteers) and SOCO/CSI, dog handlers & PSU (health & safety).  Other cops have to buy their own boots.  I used to work in SOCO & we were issued with PSU boots.  I called them deep sea divers boots, they were that heavy.  A ****** to drive in as well.  I managed to order some Doc Martens shoes.  I now use Magnums.  Not as hard wearing as Lowa or Altberg, but they're lighter and I find they grip better on wet surfaces and snow.  Cheaper and need no breaking in as well.

Shmook is obviously tougher than me! I work in a northern town and I wrap up like crazy in the winter.  We were issued with a woolly hat but were told it's for when we're stood on scene guard in the winter & need a Sgt's permission to wear it!!!!   Everyone ignores that rule, even the Sgt's as they know we're the one's walking around in the bad weather not them.  Some people will wait till they're on their beats & then swap their hat for the woolly one.  Much nicer for the ears.  I can't agree with Schmook's recommendation for an A-Z though; Google maps works fine, it'll give you where a particular house number is and is more up to date than an A-Z, and you can use the route finder facility on it.  Until you know your beat of course, with all the alleys, snickets and cut-throughs etc.

Shmook

It wasn't bravado, I feel the cold! I've never needed hats and scarves though :P Saying that, it's north west, not fully north, or the wrong side of the Pennines...

google maps is fine. Until you have no signal or your phone dies or it crashes. Had all that on grade 1 shouts, but I'm old enough to have been taught map reading in the cubs/scouts/cadets and then have to use maps at work for years to navigate the country before sat nav was invented (or released to civilians!) and have a good working knowledge of it, so can find a street and work out a route via the A-Z faster then I can unlock my phone, turn on location services, open the app, input the address and press start.

i struggle with my beat/town, as I'm there maybe twice a month on shifts, and it's not the town I live in. I can still be first on scene navigating with a map book though, before cops who live there or use a tomtom :P

Member Achievements

Eddzz!!
It was explained to me that it was in case I accidentally kicked someone.  My reply was that it wouldn't be accidental and it would be because I was being attacked.  You can buy boots that have a reinforced toe that isn't made of steel but I don't know if that falls under the same rule.  The only people who get boots issued as far as I know are specials (because they're volunteers) and SOCO/CSI, dog handlers & PSU (health & safety).  Other cops have to buy their own boots. 

Bloody tough times, eh?! We are issued with steel toe cap Altbergs and if you've served as a PCSO / Special and made the transition to PC, you get a second pair thrown in!

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Jayb27

Thank you for the replies and advice, I have my uniform fitting on Friday so will ask about standard issue then, I haven't heard about no steal toe capped boots all the paperwork states is black boots, I have a few pairs of magnums from my time in the prison service but they have seen better days so I will get a new pair, some gortex ones I'm thinking at the moment.

I have a good knowledge of the area I will be posted but I'm going down the A-Z route as I know phone signal is not the best round there ! And I never even gave vests and leggings a thought! Will defiantly come in handy, especially with the British weather ! If there are no restrictions to my existing belt and pouches gloves, pens, hand sanitiser and fags will defiantly Be included. Would anyone recommend slash proof gloves or are they something that's not needed ?

Powedermonkey, thank you, I will make the most of training and I'm sure I will thoroughly enjoy this new chapter of my career.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Member Achievements

miffy

I still wouldn't purchase anything till you get issued and start training. Only thing I needed during training was pen, paper and bit of food. Everything else was issued for you really. 

I've only started buying a few things after I received my uniform (as a Special) and all I've bought so far is a bag, my Altbergs and a watch. 

Good luck with training and have fun :)

Member Achievements

powdermonkey

Jayb27,

I doubt you'll need slash proof gloves and you might be issued with black leather ones although I don't find them warm or waterproof.  miffy gives good advice in waiting to see what you get as, from Eddzz comment, it varies so much from force to force.

Shmook

As miffy said, a watch. Can't believe I forgot that!

Member Achievements

jimmyriddle
google maps is fine. Until you have no signal or your phone dies or it crashes.

Google maps will now allow you to save an offline area so if you have no signal you can still use it for that section of the map

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Collar

How are you getting on Jay?

Member Achievements

Jayb27
How are you getting on Jay?

It's been a long time since I used this app and I haven't seen this until Now so sorry for the delay in response.

It's going really well thank you, just over 12 months in now, still enjoying the role although at times feel restricted in things that I can do to deal with and try and resolve an incident as the power to do so falls outside of my remit as a PCSO.

Coming across drug use or potential drug deals is one thing that happens at least once a set and it gets to me that I have no power to do anything about it other than gather the Intel and put it on the relevant systems, I have on occasion requested the attendance of an officer but due to staffing levels there are rarely any that are not already deployed at an incident or dealing with a prisoner.

However I have recently passed my final interview for the regulars and my vetting is underway, so hopefully if all goes according to plan I'll be starting towards the end of the year / early next year.

A completly differant role I know, one that will be difficult and bring lots of new challenges, but I feel I am as prepared for the change as I will ever be and I'm just itching to start!

It's something I've wanted for as long as i can remember, but I was once told by a then serving sgt not to apply and join at 18/19, but to hold down a few jobs first, gain some life experience and make sure it's defiantly what I want before I apply, so that is what I have done, 4 years in the prison service and 12 months as a PCSO later and at 25 I have finally decided to take the plunge! And now I'm just looking forward to starting out on the rest of my career.
  • Like 4

Member Achievements