Angry pensioner shows video of dangerous driver crashing into him after police fail to prosecute

AnthonyB

A motorist who smashed head-on into an elderly couple escaped prosecution despite damning video evidence - because an investigating officer went off sick

By Emma Lazenby  BT.com

An angry pensioner has released footage of a dangerous driver crashing into him and his wife head-on after police failed to file paperwork due to sickness.

Colin Kay and his wife Krysia, both 72, were involved in the crash in Great Eccleston, near Preston.

The motorist pulled in front of Mr Kay as he travelled at 50mph, but has faced no charges.

But the pensioner has now revealed damning evidence of her dodgy driving, in video footage from a camera fitted to the dashboard of his Citroen Picasso.

Retired engineer Mr Kay said: "I contacted the police because I was keen to see a full prosecution to stop more careless driving.

"But nothing has been done because the investigating officer went off sick and they could not prepare the paperwork in time.

"I think it’s disgusting. If I was off sick somebody picked up my work. She has just got away with it and that's that."

Damning video footage

The video shows how the driver of a Toyota Aygo turns right in front of Mr Kay, giving him no time to react and avoid the collision.

He and his wife Krysia were both left with bruises and Mrs Kay had a whiplash injury to her shoulder following the crash on the A586 at the end of August last year.

The pensioner, from Bacup, Lancs, has contacted the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) with a copy of the footage.

He said: "I have written to the IPCC and put my points across — it’s not only my case not acted upon, how many others have not been acted upon?

"The only way our roads are going to become safer is when motorists driving carelessly like this are punished.

Lucky to be alive

"My wife and I were very lucky that we were not more seriously hurt and we are very disappointed that no police action has been taken in this case."

The driver of the Toyota Aygo was cut out of her vehicle and was taken to the Royal Preston Hospital by air ambulance. It is understood she did not have serious injuries.

The grandfather-of-seven added: "We were extremely lucky. I have a pacemaker and I thought my chest was going to explode.”
A spokesman for Lancashire Police said: "Officers attended the scene and carried out a thorough investigation.

"An accident report was submitted with a recommendation for the driver to attend a Drivers’ Alertness Course.

"Unfortunately, the officer in the case was off sick and the report was not processed within the allocated time frame for prosecution."

Link to original & video: http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/motoring/motoring-news/angry-pensioner-shows-video-of-dangerous-driver-crashing-into-him-after-police-fail-to-prosecute-11363976599013

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rosco

• prolixia

• stewie_griffin

• morek54

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems like a perfectly justified complaint to me. It's not the investigating officers fault that they went off sick but the organisation is at fault. There should be systems in place to ensure any out

Supervisor should have picked this up and re-allocated it to another officer.  Maybe the guy is complaining so lessons are learnt and someone else won't be at the end of a cock up. Things go wrong, we

I'd certainly complain : clearly the Police failed here. We can understand the excuses why, but that doesn't escape the fact that they should not have let it drop just due to a specific officer's sick

Burnsy2023

So what exactly does the pensioner want done?  Prosecution isn't an option any more.

morek54

You know, it's not great.  It shouldn't happen.  But sometimes, regrettably, things go wrong.  Such things happen in an imperfect world.   

Traffic Rat

So they driver was recommended for a DAC, wonder where the system fell down.

Why didn't supervision pick up on work the OIC was dealing with if they were off sick or was it more likely the offender didn't attend the course and it was returned to OIC with 2 weeks to the 6 months STL

LankyDan

Well... The airbags deploy bloody quick...

It's not clear if the officer or CPU are at fault here... But in reality all he will get is a sorry and some lessons learnt.

I'm not too sure why people complain sometimes.

Dave SYP

It's not clear if the officer or CPU are at fault here... But in reality all he will get is a sorry and some lessons learnt.

They do have a point though, surely?  As has been said, where is the supervision?  

rosco

I'd certainly complain : clearly the Police failed here. We can understand the excuses why, but that doesn't escape the fact that they should not have let it drop just due to a specific officer's sickness.

• Like 1
martin

Seems like a perfectly justified complaint to me. It's not the investigating officers fault that they went off sick but the organisation is at fault. There should be systems in place to ensure any outstanding work is passed to someone else. Sounds perhaps like a supervisor hasn't been paying attention.

Edited by martin
  • Like 2
prolixia

Just because there's no way to reinstate the prosecution here doesn't mean that there is no reason to complain.  It's outrageous if prosecutions are dropped just because someone is off sick, as there should be a system in place to handle that not exactly uncommon occurrence.  Either the officer involved left it until the last minute and then concealed or forgot about it, or there is a wider problem in the way that absences are managed in his team - either way something has got to happen to prevent the same thing from happening next time someone's ill.  If no one complains, then there will never be an investigation and the problem will never be fixed. 

Aside from that, Kay and his wife have been wronged and it's quite right that they should be able to complain about that even if there isn't a way to fix the damage that has been done.  To say otherwise is much like saying "Well, to be honest your car is already written off and there is nothing that can be done to change that, so we don't see any point in prosecuting the dangerous driver".

• Like 1
LankyDan

I'm not saying the person isn't right to complain they are...

What I'm saying is... Unless I'm going to get something out of complaining I wouldn't do it...

I mean what is an apology really?

BlueBob

I'm not saying the person isn't right to complain they are...

What I'm saying is... Unless I'm going to get something out of complaining I wouldn't do it...

I mean what is an apology really?

What would you ever get from a complaint other than a an apology?  It wouldn't get any financial benefit

rosco

What would you ever get from a complaint other than a an apology?  It wouldn't get any financial benefit

Indeed. I'd hope that the complaint would be to get some personal closure (i.e. why did it not get processed in time) and be a spur for the force to take steps to avoid similar happening in the future.

morek54

Just because there's no way to reinstate the prosecution here doesn't mean that there is no reason to complain.  It's outrageous if prosecutions are dropped just because someone is off sick, as there should be a system in place to handle that not exactly uncommon occurrence.  Either the officer involved left it until the last minute and then concealed or forgot about it, or there is a wider problem in the way that absences are managed in his team - either way something has got to happen to prevent the same thing from happening next time someone's ill.  If no one complains, then there will never be an investigation and the problem will never be fixed. 

Aside from that, Kay and his wife have been wronged and it's quite right that they should be able to complain about that even if there isn't a way to fix the damage that has been done.  To say otherwise is much like saying "Well, to be honest your car is already written off and there is nothing that can be done to change that, so we don't see any point in prosecuting the dangerous driver".

Yep, I completely agree - we should all follow your example and adopt the moral high ground and posture about the shameful failures of others in this case. In fact, I'd even go as far as to say that everybody concerned (including the ill Officer, if he is fit enough of course) should be placed in stocks in a public place and have rotten fruit thrown at them.  Or publicly flogged instead, perhaps.  That way, they'll learn their lessons.

On a serious note though, I think everybody would agree it is disappointing that the prosecution has failed here because the statutory limit has expired.  I can completely understand the victim's frustrations.  But whenever the human factor is added to any process, things can and will get overlooked.  Especially when you consider the sorts of pressures Officers are working under and their excessive work loads. Which is not to mention the constantly conflicting priorities and demands Officers face on a daily basis.

I only mention the fact because complaining doesn't change things.  You'd have to be pretty naive to believe that.  It just means in the Policing world that the poor beleaguered Pc shoulders the blame - and once he or she has been beaten with a big stick, the underlying issues that lead to such oversights and failures are never properly addressed.

stewie_griffin

Seems a lot of work to issue a ticket. Here, the police attend the scene of the collision, speak to all concerned and write out a ticket there and then. Ten minute job. Simples.

Traffic Rat

Seems a lot of work to issue a ticket. Here, the police attend the scene of the collision, speak to all concerned and write out a ticket there and then. Ten minute job. Simples.

Stewie, the reason we send drivers on a course instead of a ticket, is if you give a poor/bad driver a ticket they stay a bad driver. Send them on a course and they may learn and be better and hopefully not make the same mistake again.