Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Policey_Man

Transferring forces - What was your experience like?

Would you transfer?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Your views on transferring...

• I have - and it was a good move. I'm glad I transferred.
    • I have - it was alright, but part of me wishes I stayed where I was.
    • I have - but, it was a mistake.
    • I haven't - but, I do want to transfer to another force.
    • I've haven't - but I might transfer in the future.
    • I haven't - and I don't intend to transfer either.

Policey_Man
14 hours ago, NCFPA said:

The best answer to that is regular complaints about speeding and community fearing for children's lives at school times. You attended at school times with laser gun and all the parents, school, children, road users kept safe ..10/10.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

Surely it's only the best answer if it's a truthful answer...

#integrity

Edited by Policey_Man
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Traffic Rat

Transferred in 98 from Met to Cheshire with 9 years.

3 days induction, uniform etc and posted. Doubled up for few weeks to find my feet. Response course accepted straight away.

Nightmare 6-12 months thinking what a backward force. Everything managed on paper when Met had been ruining CRIS for a few years and CRIMINT just rolling out.

Learing about traffic files, RTC Files, NIP etc as no process section to do admin for you. Many arguments about what I considered silly backward thinking policies, mostly because "Thats the way it's always been done"

Moved stations in 2000 and found different ways if doing the same thing (better ways I must add)'and life became better.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using the Police Community App

• Like 1

Member Achievements

MerseyLLB
1 hour ago, Traffic Rat said:

Transferred in 98 from Met to Cheshire with 9 years.

3 days induction, uniform etc and posted. Doubled up for few weeks to find my feet. Response course accepted straight away.

Nightmare 6-12 months thinking what a backward force. Everything managed on paper when Met had been ruining CRIS for a few years and CRIMINT just rolling out.

Learing about traffic files, RTC Files, NIP etc as no process section to do admin for you. Many arguments about what I considered silly backward thinking policies, mostly because "Thats the way it's always been done"

Moved stations in 2000 and found different ways if doing the same thing (better ways I must add)'and life became better.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using the Police Community App

Sounds very familiar 19 years later but different forces!

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Klaus
On 03/03/2017 at 10:44, NCFPA said:

The best answer to that is regular complaints about speeding and community fearing for children's lives at school times. You attended at school times with laser gun and all the parents, school, children, road users kept safe ..10/10.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

I didn't though, because I'm on response. So I do nothing but reactive crime reporting.

Member Achievements

Policey_Man
3 minutes ago, Klaus said:

I didn't though, because I'm on response. So I do nothing but reactive crime reporting.

Yeah, that seems like rather a difficult question you got, especially for someone stuck on response.

I heard from someone the other day that one county force in the north didn't used to take transferees from the Met because they considered Met officers as under-skilled.... given they didn't used to investigate crime on team or do interviews, case papers, etc. Never heard that before and it's no longer the case, but...

Member Achievements

MerseyLLB

One thing that makes a massive difference is how much responsibility your CJU takes on.

In Merseyside our CJU did the vast bulk of our case build without too much moaning. In Kent they expect alot more from the OIC. To the extent that just on a simple SST NGAP file I'd say that, due to IT differences, paperwork differences and so on it takes me 3 times as long as it did in Merseyside.

That has a massive effect on my workload considering I probably have 10 times as many cases as I did in Merseyside and I'm proportionally busier with my response work.

I'm drowning.

So, my point is, DONT overstate your competence at investigation and file building. Be honest.

Member Achievements

ldb225
On 02/03/2017 at 00:47, MerseyLLB said:

*snip*

I was actually considering Kent as a possible transferee destination. Very VERY glad I read your post first, tihnk ill be knocking that one off the list!

Member Achievements

Policey_Man
11 hours ago, MerseyLLB said:

simple SST NGAP file

You're going to have to explain the SST acronym?

Member Achievements

morale_outbreak

Suitable Summary Trial Not Guilty Anticipated Plea I believe.

Edited by morale_outbreak
Spelling
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Toms

I transfered and I couldn't be happier with the process. They accepted all courses that had been done to the national standard (including driving and taser), the training was 2 weeks (most of it the usual corporate bumpf), they had our uniforms ready and waiting, IT was set up prior to us arriving and I have to say my team has been cracking with me going out in company till I found my feet.

There has been some adjustment however and the way that some things are done appears completely backward (whilst somethings would have been revolutionary in my old force so its swings and roundabouts). Much like Mersey I have had to get used to the increased workload as response seem to keep alot of the jobs that CID or another team would have taken and tbh I'm only just now managing to successfully manage it (tbf its the same for the rest of the team as well) as well as working single crewed. Luckily I work in an extremely busy area so the teams are better resourced but we are still on our ####. 

I would seriously look at the reasons why you are going for a transfer. I moved for personal reasons so I am happy with the transfer as its got where I need to be but I know officers who have transferred for a change of scenery from a large urban force to the county mounties and found its the same job different area with less resources and a much larger investigation workload which has obviously made them regret the decision. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David