Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
Sign in to follow this  
Webley

Lit C-1

Webley

So came across this today, and totally see myself getting one. Fully electric and well, just too cool!Lit_Motors-C1_03.jpg

I was wondering if there would a practical place for it in the service as a fast response vehicle, the specs are quite impressive which are worth checking out below.

So a little bit from Wikipedia on it:

Early in 2010, the company revealed a non-functioning show model of the C-1. The design vision showcased an enclosed two-wheeled vehicle self-balanced by two single-gimbal control moment gyroscopes, to be powered by lithium iron phosphate batteries. Design specifications indicated that it could hold a second passenger, though no model or pictures other than computer renderings showed more than single-passenger capacity. Computer renderings of a two passenger model indicate that the tight space would likely not be suitable for long trips, as the area behind the driver's seat is very limited, in a semi-reclined position, with legs straddling the front seat.

Similar to a motorcycle, the original C-1 design has two wheels, but uses a small steering wheel instead of handlebars. Direct-drive in-hub motors in both wheels were designed to provide a high amount of torque, stability and traction control, while allowing for the body form to be about half the size of a car. The alpha prototype shows both wheels without direct drive and only a single person capacity, indicating that the design may be undergoing changes.

Safety features were intended to include a steel unibody chassis, seat belts, airbags, and a gyroscope stability system.

Release   Balancing gyroscope Torque   Gyroscope Spin Up   Motor Output    Top Speed   Range per charge    Charge time
>2018 800Nm <70 seconds 20 kW    100+ mph At least 150 miles    4-6 hrs

I reckon there is a lot of potential for this vehicle across both the police service and ambulance service, what do you guys reckon? Potential or just a gimmick?

Member Achievements

Mazza

Aye just strap custodies to the roof and off you go

Member Achievements

Dave SYP

Would be better if it had 3 or more wheels. :)

Member Achievements

Policey_Man
On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 01:28, Webley said:

So came across this today, and totally see myself getting one. Fully electric and well, just too cool!I was wondering if there would a practical place for it in the service as a fast response vehicle, the specs are quite impressive which are worth checking out below.

So a little bit from Wikipedia on it:

I reckon there is a lot of potential for this vehicle across both the police service and ambulance service, what do you guys reckon? Potential or just a gimmick?

No way, totally unsuitable.

The only police officers that regularly use motorbikes are traffic officers as far as I have seen / am aware. If there was scope or need for a two-wheeled fast response capability, then we'd have already seen this with a lot more motorcycle officers working on emergency response teams, which you don't get.

This thing is too small - is there even room for a kit bag? Look at how much kit the Ambulance service put in their fast response cars - usually the boots are rammed to the brim with stuff. For Police, there is no space for prisoners or for transporting witnesses or relatives, etc. It's too low down which will make visibility on a response run hard for other drivers thus increasing health and safety concerns and in my opinion, and the response driver will be sat rather low down in this too, so I reckon it would actually be more dangerous than a car overall.... And would they have to go slower than a car at certain times (e.g. major junctions) to reduce the risk because of the small profile of the thing?

They say they are looking to eventually sell if for $14,000 USD which is almost £10,000 GBP. We could spend £10k on something a lot better. A double crew for a domestic on these would cost £20k in vehicles. Or two people in one car which has a fully working GPS/MDT, room for all the paperwork and first aid kits we need and space in the back to transport the prisoner for half the price? What would you choose?....

Edited by Policey_Man
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

AA101
8 hours ago, Policey_Man said:

The only police officers that regularly use motorbikes are traffic officers as far as I have seen / am aware. If there was scope or need for a two-wheeled fast response capability, then we'd have already seen this with a lot more motorcycle officers working on emergency response teams, which you don't get.

In London, the DPG have an armed motorcycle response unit and some boroughs have the odd scrambler bike or two for use by trained response team officers.

Member Achievements

Policey_Man
15 hours ago, AA101 said:

In London, the DPG have an armed motorcycle response unit and some boroughs have the odd scrambler bike or two for use by trained response team officers.

OK I missed DPG, but DPG armed response isn't typical or common, so it's hardly a major point. The odd scrambler bike on Borough response teams aren't common at all, so again not really a relevant point.

Do you support use of these new Lit C-1's or not?

Edited by Policey_Man

Member Achievements

BlueBob

For a change watched the video - amusing that they say one emerging market if for asia / India where 2 wheels are so popular - have they never seen that its also popular to see 2 wheels, 3 passengers and a bundle of cargo.  A quick check and the video was saying its due for launch later in 2014 and so far its not on the road (or at least according to Google)

Member Achievements