Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
Am2107

Where to go from here?

Am2107

Hi all,

New to the forum!

I have just been turned down an opportunity to become a PC having served as a PCSO for 4 years. Unfortunately I will not have the chance to apply again, a very long story which I don't really want to go into.

I'm just looking for some advice really. I think my time in the Police is up personally and I'm thinking about leaving to pursue a new career. I am struggling to think of what role I could step into, using the skills I have developed as a PCSO. Unfortunately I don't have A Levels or a degree and only have basic GCSE level education.

Has anyone left as a PCSO and gone into another role? 

Thanks for your time.

A

Member Achievements

Shmook

If you do decide to pursue a new career choice, could/would you become a special?

Member Achievements

Dave SYP
2 hours ago, Am2107 said:

Hi all,

New to the forum!

I have just been turned down an opportunity to become a PC having served as a PCSO for 4 years. Unfortunately I will not have the chance to apply again, a very long story which I don't really want to go into.

I'm just looking for some advice really. I think my time in the Police is up personally and I'm thinking about leaving to pursue a new career. I am struggling to think of what role I could step into, using the skills I have developed as a PCSO. Unfortunately I don't have A Levels or a degree and only have basic GCSE level education.

Has anyone left as a PCSO and gone into another role? 

Thanks for your time.

A

I think Shmook's suggestion is a valid one.

17 minutes ago, Shmook said:

If you do decide to pursue a new career choice, could/would you become a special?

I think it might perhaps be another avenue to explore for a while before re-applying for the regulars?

• Like 1

Member Achievements

powdermonkey

Am2107,

It's difficult to give advice or make suggestions without knowing why you can't apply for a PC post at a later date.  Most applicants don't get through on their first, sometimes second, attempt.  So, what do I see as your options other than being a PC.   Well, you could stay in your current role as PCSO although we all know we're facing cuts to our wages and I know of PCSO's who feel this is the start of the role being phased out.

You say you feel your time in the police is up but there are many other roles in the police that use some of your skills, experience etc to greater or lesser degrees, depending on which force you work for.  There's Scenes of Crime/CSI; some forces have civilian investigators; detention officer for example, there's office jobs such as case builder, admin etc.

If you feel your future lies outside the police, then the only roles I can think of that come closest to the PCSO role are security (either building security, store security or theft/loss prevention officer) or private investigator.

A lack of A levels needn't be a problem, think of what transferrable skills you have.  Sit down with a careers advisor who will be able to look at your work history and see skills that you might not think you have.  Try to remember what you put in your original application for PCSO and then think of what you've added or enhanced since.  Skill and abilities such as resilience, negotiation, accuracy under pressure, report writing, communication skills, IT skills (God knows we do enough computer work!), managing and prioritising your work load, adaptability and flexibility, working with minimum supervision, problem solving, following strict force procedures and deadlines, knowledge of the law, working to strict deadlines, working alone on your own initiative as well as part of a team.  Don't just concentrate on your work experiences, think about what else you done. 

I'm not knocking formal education or qualifications but they are not necessarily the be all and end all.  Practical experience of actually doing a job is important. If you can get yourself through the paper sift for a job then I'm sure that you, someone with 4 years experience as a PCSO and all you must have experienced, plus what other things you've done in work or life, will be able to put up a convincing argument in interview as to why you're the best candidate for that job.

David

I think much of this depends on the sort of job you think you'd like to do.

Probation, perhaps, or some sort of youth work? Drugs programme of some kind? Maybe a court usher? I think though what you need to do is take stock of the position you're in and look into areas you think you might have some interest to you. You might feel that a complete change is right so that you work in an office in an administrative capacity. You might have to take another job you don't want to tide you over of course, but I think what you absolutely have to do is consider what sort of direction you'd like to take. Once you've decided that - 'want to work with youth' or 'want to get away from policing and take up engineering' would be the starting point, then we could point you at evening schools or the probation service etc.

Member Achievements

Mazza

There are so many options available to you with your transferable skills. I don't know much about your personal circumstances but you could go to college, get an access to uni qualification and get into social work. You could work in the civil service, in the council, in loads of different capacities. Write down all the things you enjoy in your current role and all the things you want to avoid. Find the profession closest matches your likes.

Sent from my iPhone using Police Community

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Eddzz!!

As @Mazza has said above, the experiences you've had as PCSO will have provided you with a wealth of transferable skills... There are many areas of work you could go into. Perhaps something customer service related; something that sees you dealing with the public as you have done previously. Or as mentioned above, any kind of civil service work, council work. There are loads of opportunities available to you. What I would say, however, is that if your heart is still set on joining the Police as a regular, then you may well find that you struggle to be satisfied in another career... Without knowing your circumstances it is a little harder to advise, but I wouldn't give up on something that you want to do.

Member Achievements