Management Chief Bakes 6,479 Posted February 17, 2016 Management Share Posted February 17, 2016 Apple rejects order to unlock gunman's phone 17 February 2016 From the section Technology Image copyright AP Image caption Tim Cook said the FBI's request set "a dangerous precedent" Apple will contest a court order to help FBI investigators access data on the phone belonging to San Bernardino gunman Syed Rizwan Farook. The company had been ordered to help the FBI circumvent security software on Farook's iPhone, which the FBI said contained crucial information. In a statement, Apple chief executive Tim Cook said: "The United States government has demanded that Apple take an unprecedented step which threatens the security of our customers." "We oppose this order, which has implications far beyond the legal case at hand." Image copyright Getty Images Image caption Apple says it cannot unlock data on devices running iOS8 or newer Since September 2014, data on the latest Apple devices - such as text messages and photographs - have been encrypted by default. If a device is locked, only the user's passcode can be used to access the data. If 10 incorrect attempts at the code are made the device will automatically erase all of its data. Apple says even its own staff cannot access the data - a move the company made following the Edward Snowden revelations into government surveillance. Media captionEXPLAINER: What is encryption?The FBI has asked Apple to do two things. Firstly, it wants the company to alter Farook's iPhone so that investigators can make unlimited attempts at the passcode without the risk of erasing the data. Secondly, it wants Apple to help implement a way to rapidly try different passcode combinations, to save tapping in each one manually. The FBI wants to use what is known as a "brute force" attack, trying out every combination until stumbling across the correct one and unlocking the phone. Farook is understood to have used a four-digit passcode which means there are 10,000 possible combiations. Image copyright AP Image caption Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik called 14 people in California Apple said the FBI's demands set "a dangerous precedent". "The FBI wants us to make a new version of the iPhone operating system, circumventing several important security features, and install it on an iPhone recovered during the investigation," wrote Mr Cook. "The government is asking Apple to hack our own users and undermine decades of security advancements that protect our customers. "Opposing this order is not something we take lightly. We feel we must speak up in the face of what we see as an overreach by the US government." Farook and his wife killed 14 people in the California city last December before police fatally shot them. "We have no sympathy for terrorists," said Mr Cook. "We are challenging the FBI's demands with the deepest respect for American democracy and a love of our country." View the full article Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!Register a new account
Already have an account? Sign in here.Sign In Now