Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
woodyx

Specials training from start to finish

woodyx

When I started the specials recruitment process I tried to look up a rough timescale/guide, but could not find one anywhere. This is obviously due to individual force's, the individuals that are applying and their personal circumstances.

Below is my timeline for South Yorkshire Police and a bit of detail (not to much as something's need to be a surprise),  it seems to have gone smoothly so hopefully this is an average timeline.

Application form completed – Mid/End of May

write it out in rough several times if needed, this is the first major hurdle that many fall at so take you time with it and get it right.

First correspondence back to offer dates for assessment day (taken as a woohoo!) - end of June.

use this time to read up, there is stuff on the police college site that really helps and you will be sent/emailed stuff.

Assessment day (Interview, Situational Judgement and Written) – mid July. Go smart.

Interview - as above read up, but more importantly tell how YOU would/ what YOU would and use examples of what YOU have done to show this. IF a timed interview dont let it throw you its amazing how fast the time goes. SJT - again go with you gut, dont over complicate. Written - read the brief well and read up on the Police college website (after i apply section)

Vetting Personal - End of July.

This is down to you, not a lot i or anyone can do, read the guidance, make sure its correctly filled out/ take your time.

Vetting Financial - End of July.

Again this is down to you, not a lot i or anyone else on the forum can do, read the guidance, make sure its correctly filled out/ take your time.

Doctor’s report and eye test – end of July.

Its again down to you, my Doctor was great and didn't charge but that's rare as its all a money making exercise, be ready to pay up front but you normally can get this back. Eye test normally you have to pay for its about £20.

Substance Misuse – Mid August. (Drugs alcohol and medication abuse)

Now this is one thing i wish i had been told, this was a hair sample for me. But i have very short hair! so to get the sample i ended up looking like a coconut/ bowling ball as they had to take so much for the sample and it took ages to grow back, 3 clear bald patches, thanks! Grow your hair before the test! Also make sure you declare anything you have had from the GP as this can effect but they will tell you this. I had an operation 2 months before so had to get in touch with the hospital and ask what they gave me.

Biometric testing – Mid August.

Finger prints etc very straight forward.

Police Medical – Mid October.

Your feel like a lab rat but its all very straight forward.

Offer as a special – Start of Nov.

EEEK!

Training starts – End of Nov.

Now the hard work starts! A couple of things (not going to write up the entire training)

1. I did 220hrs (this is just at the training centre not including online learning, come to that in a bit) in 3 1/2 months on top of a full-time high pressured job. So its possible and very enjoyable but be prepared. it affected our childcare and even my wife's working hours, not to mention the weekends and beer!
  2. PST (Personal safety training) get ready to get very close to your team mates, Brilliant fun and obviously a very real side to it, "out the back of the wrist for cuffs!" 
  3. Physical. A basic level of fitness is needed but don't be complacent/caught out, a member of our team was put back due to fitness.
  4. NCALTS!! there is going to be a lot of online learning, its the bit no one told us about. be prepared to sit for lots of hours ( and i mean lots) ticking of the mandatory online learning at home.
  5. The Law, loads to take in but its amazing how much you learn and how fast, just listen but more importantly ASK, the instructors are cops and have been there done it and really do have the T-shirt to prove it. we spent hours listening to funny stories about their experiences, they will tell if you ask!
  6. Role plays and assessments - by the time you are doing them you know what they are testing you for. COMMUNICATION! is the key. its the age old thing of treat as you wish to be treated. Human not robot, speak to the people. but whatever you do don't call them MATE!
  7. Get you Hep B booked in and started ASAP, speak to OC health or ask a tutor.

Attestation – March 2015!

Enjoy it,take your time and absorb the moment, photo time. now it suddenly feels very really and heavy. that Warrant card really does make you re-assess the world around you and what you do.

Hope this helps anyone going through the process, its been a hard few months but also extremely enjoyable and worthwhile

Now to book my first shift and the next chapter begins.

Woody

Edited by woodyx
  • Like 9

Member Achievements

Rosemary

Great post thank you!  :) I'll get this added to the pinned recruitment guide over the weekend.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

woodyx

Part 2

Station, the team and First shift

Station.

I move city just as I trained as a Special so I made the situation much harder on myself as I had no idea where the Station was!

So for me the first things to find out were how to get there from home (including in rush hour) and where to park!

Parking

Now this seems to be a theme at Police stations…Parking is rubbish! So make sure one of the first things that you find out (even before you visit if you can) is where do the others park? There is generally a common place that the other Bobbies have found and it often means you have someone to walk up with.

Station

Don’t expect anything you see on the TV, basically think big company with budget squeezing then imagine where your locker will be! As always the staff once they realise you are one of them are all lovely. Now don’t take that the wrong way, security is obviously a high priority so a new nervous random person looks a bit dodgy, wouldn’t you. ID card is a must especially if not in uniform and make sure you speak.

My station feels like lots of corridors at the moment but first shift (after only 1 visit to drop my kit off) and I found my locker, radio and my PAVA locker. If unsure Ask!

Team

Police are a strange breed with a real mix of stereotypes from different jobs and walks of life all rolled into one so if you have not had much experience of the Police then it’s worth a mention.  A mix of army, builder, Social worker, Nurse, teacher and football player.

Expect lots of hard line humour and cutting comments, but at the same time baking cakes and a very close caring team. It’s very hard to put into words but the best thing I can say is relax and be yourself, remember you are joining a team that’s already well embedded so you might not get the jokes and the clicks to start with but you will pick it up.

First Shift.

I got there early so I could re trace my steps through the maze of corridors and find my locker, once kitted I headed back and found the inspector from the shift that was already on, he was really helpful and pointed me in the direction of computers and Tea! The team came together well before the shift started, briefing was on well before the shift time so go to be early. (don’t sit in the inspectors chair!) the briefing was really helpful but also full of CAKE! That the team had made, brilliant!

I was assigned to my mentor and off we went, PAVA sorted and in a car off we go! My mentor was so helpful supportive but most importantly told me what to do. Search of a drunk and confiscation of the alcohol, car chase and arrest, domestic, neighbour dispute and 2 missing children all in 1 afternoon shift.

Stopped for food and had 2 jobs disclosed just buying my sandwich in the garage! Back to station to finally eat after  6 hours in the car (make sure you eat before shift) and then paper work.

What can I say?

Amazing, fascinating, rewarding, interesting, supportive, fast paced, funny and often unknown.

p.s.  I don’t think I will ever get bored of the lights and sirens!

• Like 6

Member Achievements

danswans

Love this post. Any more woody? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member Achievements

woodyx

Thanks Danswan but anything else would not be training so cant post here. And its a featured post thanks Rosemary!

Member Achievements

Morpheus

Really good post thanks!

Member Achievements

bleach28

Hi woody , i was just reading your posts and found them very interesting . Im waiting for my vetting to finish so on tender hooks !!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Police Community

Myself

Hello everyone, just a quick question. I passed my fitness test back in December 2015 and haven't heard anything back since then. Have you experienced anything similar ? because I would really love to start sometime soon, it has been almost 1 year now :( . Thank you

Edited by David
'txt tlk' removed. Can we ask members to refrain from using it, thanks.

Ironic
1 minute ago, Myself said:

Hello everyone, just a quick question. I passed my fitness test back in December 2015 and haven't heard anything back since then. Have u experienced anything similar ? because I would really love to start sometime soon, it has been almost 1 year now :( . Thank you

Get in contact with the people services team and ask for an update. An entire year without an email update at the very least sounds a bit odd!

Member Achievements

Myself
2 minutes ago, Ironic said:

Get in contact with the people services team and ask for an update. An entire year without an email update at the very least sounds a bit odd!

Thank you very much for your reply Ironic, I did contact the department several times via. Emails and Phone calls, however i was told that I am still on the waiting list and no training dates are currently available :( but to be honest the fitness test was a long time ago , although i am still the same size and take part in regular sport activities , it does makes me a bit worried about the whole process

Ironic

I wouldn't worry too much about the process, it's very normal for some forces to 'open' recruitment, line up let's say, '100 candidates' with offer letters and everything but only 60 are taken on and the remainder are put in the freezer until they open recruitment again. Essentially it's just what resources they can allocate to training and budgetary constraints etc. The biggest worry I would have is the application expiring but if they have told you that you have a space, then I would imagine you have a space :)

• Like 1

Member Achievements

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David