Reading Stories - How do you do it?

adrian.middleton

Good morning everyone.

Before I explain what this topic is all about, I don't want to give anyone the impression that I'm 'pitching' myself.  Instead I'd simply appreciate some feedback if any of you are willing to offer it.  If not, I won't take offence if I'm ignored :)

Basically, I will be writing a series of short stories, all based upon the police force that covers the area in which I live.  Some of you will already be aware of this fact I'm sure, so please bear with me.

I plan to offer these short stories (digitally) for free, in exchange for email subscriptions to my free newsletter service.   But what I'd like to know is, how you'd prefer to read such stories, if you were interested in receiving them.

Common examples include:

Online - via a website page / article / post

PDF
Ebook (various formats, for e-readers)

I will be putting a sample story on my website to give you an idea of the kind of stories I will be writing. 

So, if you signup for such an offer, what's your preference when it comes to reading?

Thank you for your time everyone, have a good day!

P.S.  If I've posted this in the wrong section, please do let me know and I'll slot it somewhere else.

For me, ebook style on a tablet.

Silly question, I know, but what is your newsletter about?

*expects to be inundated with 'sign up and find out' comments*

Moved to Help Section

Thanks Cheetah

For me, ebook style on a tablet.

Silly question, I know, but what is your newsletter about?

*expects to be inundated with 'sign up and find out' comments*

OK - thanks.  Newsletter will just be a means (at first) of updating followers on story releases (free and those for sale) etc.  I'll also be adding background info at times on certain works, so I certainly won't just be saying 'buy my stuff' every time! 

And no, you're perfectly safe from such a bombardment believe me.  Plus it's not ready yet anyway :P

• Like 1

Adrian, I would suggest, to be at the very cutting edge of tech, you could publish your stories in a blog format, with the availibility of a free e-book to download and read offline (they'll also have the bookmarking features and that too) but when it comes to the actually getting financial reward, perhaps consider Patreon. I love the idea of this site, fans of your work can pledge a certain amount to you for each story for example, and you can reward them by releasing new stories to them a bit earlier. It's like busking but on the internet!

• Like 1

Adrian, I would suggest, to be at the very cutting edge of tech, you could publish your stories in a blog format, with the availibility of a free e-book to download and read offline (they'll also have the bookmarking features and that too) but when it comes to the actually getting financial reward, perhaps consider Patreon. I love the idea of this site, fans of your work can pledge a certain amount to you for each story for example, and you can reward them by releasing new stories to them a bit earlier. It's like busking but on the internet!

Interesting suggestions, thanks Soap.

I'll have a look at Patreon then.  In terms of the blog posts, I'll consider that, but i was wary of potential plagiarism issues (but then again, my work would actually have to be good before anyone might think of stealing it - haha).  So what you're saying is to post them and then offer them also as an ebook (or perhaps a collection of them together in one ebook) for subscribers to download?

• Like 1

Interesting suggestions, thanks Soap.

I'll have a look at Patreon then.  In terms of the blog posts, I'll consider that, but i was wary of potential plagiarism issues (but then again, my work would actually have to be good before anyone might think of stealing it - haha).  So what you're saying is to post them and then offer them also as an ebook (or perhaps a collection of them together in one ebook) for subscribers to download?

Exactly! I know a lot of webcomic makers will post in a blog format, but are supported by Patreon. Anybody can get the work for free, but the true fans will be able to support you by pledging money to you.

Stories, I'd personally like it either to be PDF or .EPUB so I can read it on my phone. 

However as Soap said, Blog Format would be ideal to read the small sections or the story itself. Perhaps advertise the story on a blog, then allow downloads or links from there?

Thanks Miffy.   I was planning on running a blog a while back, so this is perhaps a great excuse to start one!  Are pdfs easy to read on a phone then?  I've not tried myself.

I prefer PDF's as I find them easier to read on my Phone and get them on there, I stick them in my dropbox and open in my phone and then they are stored permanently in either iBooks or the adobe reader app

• Like 1

I prefer PDF's as I find them easier to read on my Phone and get them on there, I stick them in my dropbox and open in my phone and then they are stored permanently in either iBooks or the adobe reader app

Thanks Marty.  I've got some interesting feedback to go on now.