MacBook Pro Help

ParochialYokal

I wonder if anyone can give me any advice on buying a MacBook Pro?

I probably want to get the 15inch one but I am not sure if it was worth purchasing the more expensive or the cheapest one?

If I upgraded the HDD on the cheapest one then I am creeping towards the price of the next model.

Can anyone other any advice on what is the best value?

Can anyone other any advice on what is the best value?

Buy a PC based laptop? Apple stuff is always overpriced for what you're getting.

My advice is to set a budget and ask yourself what you want it to do.  Look for the best value you can get with that money and those requirements.

I need to spend at least £2k in one transaction on similar capital items. That is, I can spend £2k on 'IT equipment', which could be just one laptop or a combination of goods (e.g. iPad, MacBook and printer).

I don't want a Windows laptop, as they are generally 'disposable' and only last a couple of years (would spend a few hundred on one but no more). Besides, Windows is the work of Satin.?

(Run out of 'positive votes' :( Thanks for the replies so far)

Edited by ParochialYokal

When I bought my Macbook Pro I was down-scaling from 17" Laptop to a 15" Mac. I was really weary of the size difference but when you get a HDMI to Thunderbolt then you can plug whatever screen in you want. Make sure you get this, it's made by Belkin and probably the best Mac accessory you can get.

Clamshell mode is awesome when you have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

I mainly bought mine for video editing so I stuffed it full of RAM and the i7 processor. to help with the renders. Kept the HDD as standard. I will at some-point remove that and whack in a nice big SSD instead. Apart from that, I kept it all standard and have been pretty happy. I bought a Western Digital 2TB External to keep all my pictures, PSD, renders etc. It's really fast and you can render from it too without any noticeable delay.

My girlfriend was a student at the time so we got a decent discount and 3 years of Apple Care for free. 

What they don't tell you is that if you change the spec from standard there will be a delay as it's built to order in Asia and then shipped. Normally they have warehouses full of them in the UK of all the different standard specs so you can get it next day. I complained about this as I needed it urgently as my laptop died. They reimbursed me with a Free Magic Mouse, HDMI to Thunderbolt Cable and Microsoft Office. They could have told me to jog on but they really wanted to help. 

Edited by Odie

Have a look at macrumours for their views and news if you haven't already. There are suggestions that there may be a new MBP this summer if you can wait that long - although the tax year is coming to an end or there may be a grant in the offing looking at your comments. 

I'm on the edge for a 15" MBP and teetering on buying with the dread that it will be days before a new release!!!  I'm looking at it not from what I want to day but what I expect to want/need for the next 2-3 years.  As windows stuff can be run on an apple in a couple of aproved ways the differences are reducing.  As a laptop at that price, would I want or need to take it from the office / home to make visits - if not then why have it.  

One think to think about is that the MBP screens are so good, if you want / need a monitor then it could be either expensive or less impressive than the laptop

As they say with electronics - go fo the biggest, fastest, tricked you can today as it will be out of date tomorrow and for the apple, I see it is all about getting longevity so as to get value for money.  

Good hunting

don't want a Windows laptop, as they are generally 'disposable' and only last a couple of years (would spend a few hundred on one but no more). Besides, Windows is the work of Satin.

I see the Apple marketing machine has you well under their thumb ;)

So is it £2k for the laptop or do you need an iPad or printer?

Have a look at macrumours for their views and news if you haven't already. There are suggestions that there may be a new MBP this summer if you can wait that long - although the tax year is coming to an end or there may be a grant in the offing looking at your comments. 

I'm on the edge for a 15" MBP and teetering on buying with the dread that it will be days before a new release!!!  I'm looking at it not from what I want to day but what I expect to want/need for the next 2-3 years.  As windows stuff can be run on an apple in a couple of aproved ways the differences are reducing.  As a laptop at that price, would I want or need to take it from the office / home to make visits - if not then why have it.  

One think to think about is that the MBP screens are so good, if you want / need a monitor then it could be either expensive or less impressive than the laptop

As they say with electronics - go fo the biggest, fastest, tricked you can today as it will be out of date tomorrow and for the apple, I see it is all about getting longevity so as to get value for money.  

Good hunting

Apple have their "Spring Forward" Live Conference this evening which will probably outline all the new products to go out for the year. Wait until tomorrow and you'll probably know when it will be released :)

I see the Apple marketing machine has you well under their thumb ;)

So is it £2k for the laptop or do you need an iPad or printer?

It's not just the marketing. Everytime I buy a Windows laptop it just breaks. Or the software mucks up and I don't have the skills or knowledge to start loading the operating system back on.

A Windows-based laptop is just a throw away item that often needs to be replaced every couple years. I certainly wouldn't spend more thank £500 on one.

It's £2k for the lot that has to be in one purchase. I could do with a new iPad as well. I just want to get the 'best value' MBP, but that doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive. I could get a suped up 13 inch one? I don't know...

Apple have their "Spring Forward" Live Conference this evening which will probably outline all the new products to go out for the year. Wait until tomorrow and you'll probably know when it will be released :)

Will be interesting to see if there are any surprises in there, over and above the watch :)

I

I need to make the purchase by the middle of May. It's unlikely that a new MBP will be out until September, according to the rumours. Something to do with new Intel chips?

I will effectively be getting a 40% discount, once I take VAT and Corporation Tax off. I can simply sell it, if a radically new one comes out and then buy the newer version. The company wouldn't be losing much money if it did that :)

I didn't think of that. Thanks :)

I guess that provides a further argument to get a 15 inch version.

It's not just the marketing. Everytime I buy a Windows laptop it just breaks. Or the software mucks up and I don't have the skills or knowledge to start loading the operating system back on.

A Windows-based laptop is just a throw away item that often needs to be replaced every couple years. I certainly wouldn't spend more thank £500 on one.

It's £2k for the lot that has to be in one purchase. I could do with a new iPad as well. I just want to get the 'best value' MBP, but that doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive. I could get a suped up 13 inch one? I don't know...

I don't want to make too much of a point about this as you've clearly made up your mind and know what you want and I don't think I'm going to change that, but if you're only spending £500 on a Windows laptop you're going to get what you pay for.  If you spend £1500 you'll get one that is at least equal in build quality to a MBP.  Some people still have outdated views on Windows since moving to OSX - Windows has had less high priority bug fixes over the last year than OSX has (although I'll admit this is a blunt metric).  If you buy a decent top end Windows laptop, you'll get something very, very similar to a MBP for less money and it'll last just as long.

With all that said, for some people who are very much in the centre of the Apple product ecosystem, it makes sense to continue with that.  

So to actually to get back to your problem at hand.  You want best "bang for buck" but you still really need to think about what you're going to use it for.  If you're going to do a lot of high resource working than that shifts the window of what will be best value.

It's unlikely that I will need the full power of a top end Mac but I want something that feels comfortable with editing video occasionally.

I work as a contractor, which means that there may be occasions when I am on premises without a desktop. A decent laptop that has a good screen would boost my productivity.

Whilst many people criticise the hype of Apple, if I meet with someone and I have a decent laptop then that says more about my 'brand' than rocking up with my £300 Asus. Showing a potential client a presentation or material on a decent screen could help generate business.

On occassion I may also need to use very large Excel documents and pivot tables, which I have struggled to use on low-end laptops.

I would probably ensure that I get 16mb of RAM, as I understand that RAM is no longer upgrade able on a MBP :(

I also currently have a Mac Mini and a Time Capsule. I do like the eco-system. Over the years, I have lost so much digital content that it frustrates me no end. That is my own fault, but setting up filing systems and back ups seems easier with an Apple. I'm not a techie :( Apples also seem to hold their value and there always seems to be a demand to but them; this is attractive because I can just sell it and then buy a new one off-set against tax, which means I can potentially upgrade every couple of years with minimal cost, as my starting point is a 40% discount.

Edited by ParochialYokal

I guess it depends on what the rumoured updates are as to whether you want to wait or not, if it's not major then it won't make that much of a difference.

If you compare current models to mine (2012), which now have retina displays and flash storage on them all except the cheapest most basic model, then mine is still going strong and I feel no need to upgrade, where as with windows my old laptops would always be outdated/break/terrible/slow after a couple of years my macbook is in perfect working order and still handles everything I throw at it. Honestly no complaints what so ever.

Edited by Marty McFly