Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Your role  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do

• Control Room (phones/dispatch)
    • Crime Bureau
    • Firearms licensing
    • SOCO
    • Maintenance
    • HR
    • Front counter staff
    • Other

PCW

So as a member of staff, what do you do? It doesn't have to be specifics it is more out of curiosity. I have added an anonymous poll aswell but feel free to chatter below!

PCW

Member Achievements

Sir Penguin

I used to want to be a call handler. I went for an assessment once where I was to answer 10 mock calls. I have to say I struggled massively and if I was offered the job I probably would have turned it down I found it that difficult. There's a lot of information to take in and there's not a massive amount you can do to help on the end of a phone other than give verbal advice. 

Member Achievements

PCW

This is true, but the role of a call handler is vital as all the information that dispatchers need to pass to officers comes from them.  To be honest though all background jobs are vital. But your right it is a very challenging job

Member Achievements

fruitandveg

I used to be an IT analyst back in the day, before that I was site security...now I'm just very regular! :D

Member Achievements

PCW

Oooh eeerr get you. So you know all about the glories of force systems then.....

Member Achievements

AndrewZinc

I raise Crime Reports / Crime Reference Numbers primarily from officers, but a fifth are also taken directly from the complainer/reporter by us after they are passed through by the 101 call handler. That's if it's something less serious that doesn't require police attendance right away. We also process requests for Scenes of Crime attendance. There are various other duties, but that's what I've been trained on.

I'm finding it quite interesting, the variety in crime, and with so many new probationers, I often find myself advising them on what crime to select, how to phrase the MO, etc. I'm less than a year in (temporary contract though) but I'm only doing Crime, whereas probationers will have so much more to learn in the same period. The administrative part is just a portion of it.

Edited by AndrewZinc

Member Achievements

PCW

I know exactly what you mean, i used to do that aswell. It helped with my MO wording 

Member Achievements

Rosemary

I work as an administrator in the RTC Team, so am responsible for sending witness questionnaires, s172 notices and dealing with enquiries from the public and various insurance companies.

Certainly lots of variety and the days go by very quickly!

Member Achievements

Eebs

I'd like to be a call handler (dispatcher specifically) (One of our special Supt. is a call dispatcher) As you've mentioned I've heard its very difficult, is there any preperation you can do for it?

Member Achievements

PCW

Multi tasking is a big thing. Be able to type one thing, talk about another and remember something else, thats what I've found! :)

Member Achievements

Foster

Used to work in Forensic Admin as Submissions Officer with Derbyshire but now just waiting to start with Lancashire in the same unit. Love every minute of it! :04_EmoticonsHDcom:

Member Achievements

XA84

I am a call handler for my local force, it is a very difficult job but what you are forgetting is that you receive training for this so you know what has to be done. As long as you have common sense and a drive to help people then you should be fine. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Sarah.ford

I'm a CCTV investigator i make DVDs for court and OIC's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member Achievements

PCW
On 21/03/2016 at 15:24, XA84 said:

I am a call handler for my local force, it is a very difficult job but what you are forgetting is that you receive training for this so you know what has to be done. As long as you have common sense and a drive to help people then you should be fine. 

Agreed, it is a challenging job, you get training for it and there's other staff on your team who can help out aswell!

Member Achievements

SpecialConstable

Resource Deployment Officer

Member Achievements

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David