Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
miffy

Stab vest - Uniform fitting

miffy

So I had my uniform fitting which was a lot of fun (although I looked like a complete child in everything).

When I tried the armour, it stopped just above my belly button, and the guy said its fine, however I am concerned about the inch that is not protected. (forgot to mention this, too distracted in the whole kit!)

Where does your vest stop to, and should I consider asking for a different size?

Member Achievements

Soap

It's fine, but we don't advertise where's not protected. Any lower than that and you stop being able to bend over.

Member Achievements

Richhamdo

miffy, I seem to recall one of our people telling me that  there should be a one inch gap between the top of the equipment belt and the bottom of the armour,, one of our specials had one not much longer than that but every time he got in the car it rode up and practically throttled him, (I suggested he wore his tac vest but he wouldn't have it)I think he was a funny shape ha because it was a bit of a mission getting him one to fit.

There is a strict laid down procedure about fitting armour,in our force anyway, only properly trained personnel can measure/fit you.i was never happier personaly when we had the option whether  to wear it or not, but those days have gone now.Rich.

Member Achievements

Mazza

It's already hard enough to bend in them... the number of times I've felt like an upturned turtle...

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Scot

Plus all your vital organs are above that inch. 

Member Achievements

CountyCop

Mine just goes over it, although not by much. You don't want the armour to be too big, as others have already said it will be a pain trying to bend over and possibly weight a bit more as well.

As long as the top and middle of your chest are protected you should be ok.

Member Achievements

Eddzz!!

This is likely the reason an officer was injured by a knife yesterday - stabbed in the stomach i.e. the area below the stab-vest. From what I understand, stab-vests did actually used to finish a lot lower on the torso, however, this restricted mobility and flexibility in the upper body. Therefore the design of the vest was revised; it was shortened to maximize mobility whilst also protecting vital organs.

Member Achievements