The PolCom Dojo

Smiley Culture

Smiley Culture

Having moved to PolCom (and just set off for a trip to Japan in real life) I should resurrect the martial arts thread. How's your chopsocky?

Edited by Smiley Culture
  • Like 1
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smiley Culture

• Shmook

• Special Superman

• Chief Rat

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Previously done Systema, Krav Maga, Karate, Aikido and a little bit of Kung fu, since I finished the chemotherapy have been training kickboxing four times a week, started Japanese Jujitsu and am off t

I'm of the opinion that an emphasis on 'ground work' is actually over-skilling an area we don't really use, at least not in the way it's taught.   I've used takedowns and standing control that I've

This. DT/OST/Whatever you're force calls it is bare. Not even minimum in my eyes. Basics to say you're 'trained' and it's not even close. Getting cops used to being hit would help immensely. P

Special Superman

Shotokan karate at quite a traditional style club as opposed to a more sporting one, and yourself?

Chief Rat

I do Wado Ryu and have done for a number of years now. Two years ago I gained my 4th Dan and I have to say not getting any younger that it was hard work. I was pooped by the end of it I have to say :)

Special Superman

I'm nowhere near that level unfortunately only a brown belt (3rd kyu) going for my brown and white (2nd kyu) next month sometime I believe

Chief Rat

I'm nowhere near that level unfortunately only a brown belt (3rd kyu) going for my brown and white (2nd kyu) next month sometime I believe

You'll get there eventually mate. It takes time and in my case a long time with a spell out of training for a while due to other commitments ... I guess if I'd stayed training throughout I would have been eligible for my 7th Dan by now :)

Well done for getting this far as many people do fall by the wayside and lose interest .. Especially the kids so it's important to keep them interested in the sport / art

Special Superman

Yes I have noticed that with some of the kids at my club tending to get to green belt (5th kyu at my organization) then leaving..

Intrestingly in my organisation they make children start in 12th kyu whereas adults start on 10th, I am not too sure on the reason for this but I think it is that the head isnt too keen on child black belts as there are a lot of these at a taekwondo club nearby

Edited by Special Superman
Chief Rat

I can see what you mean. Kids however love a sense of achievement and so gaining a new belt after grading gives them just that and hopefully keeps them interested in the sport.

If you have a child for instance who remains at a certain belt for months they lose interest whereas as adults it's not as important I guess.

It's horses for courses and organisations throughout the country have differing views and belt grading systems in place

• 4 weeks later...
Smiley Culture

I did karate and jitsu many many years ago, but nowadays I do aikikai aikido.  Also going through the grades rather slowly - six years in I've gone from 6th to 4th kyu, but still going!  Aikikai clubs are a bit unusual in that few (if any) have coloured belts - instead, all kyu grades wear a white belt and then get a black belt when they reach 1st dan.

Judo, a good while ago now but it's been useful when the odd play fight gets out of hand. When I say play fight it's usually my dad who is also ex Judo, 30 something and 50 something - he's usually on his bum pretty quick. A lad at work when I was an apprentice thought he'd have a pop, threw him over my shoulder and had half the office watching us on cctv (he's a lot bigger than me) or was! Came downstairs to find me helping him off the floor, became good mates after that! His name around the office was filth as his dad was our local bobby, both nice blokes.

Just got my yellow belt at judo on the Sunday: a bit unfortunately I "broke" my partner (dislocated toe) so ended up having to do some sparring sessions with brown and black belts, still feeling bruised today!

AlphaDelta17

I'm also a traditional Shotokan Karateka. I got my first dan back in 2008 at the tender age of 18 but haven't progressed since due to travelling away to university and then joining the police. I do return and train occasionally, far less than I'd like to or I should.