Notice Board
  • Great Deals
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Get your very own website designed by our in-house team at RAW Digital Media. Get 25% off all quotes using reference "RAW25" Prices start at just £199 Click HERE to read more.
  • Website hosting packages start from just £59 p/year Click HERE to read more.
adrian.middleton

Emergency Button Use - Examples please

adrian.middleton

Hi all.  I'm curious about how and when the police Emergency Assistance buttons are used.  What kind of situations may call for it?  And I'm assuming that in terms of response teams / patrols, they are normally done in pairs, so I'm guessing use of the button would mean something pretty hairy right?

Member Achievements

SW_matt

single crewing is completely normal on response teams. The buttons can be used for all sorts, when an officer (s) are being attacked, when fighting with someone and its not safe to use a hand to press the PTT, to cut across other transmitting when something needs to be said urgently. Basically a button press gets the entire shift towards you when it hits the fan. Without doubt one of the worst sounds in the world.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

adrian.middleton

single crewing is completely normal on response teams. The buttons can be used for all sorts, when an officer (s) are being attacked, when fighting with someone and its not safe to use a hand to press the PTT, to cut across other transmitting when something needs to be said urgently. Basically a button press gets the entire shift towards you when it hits the fan. Without doubt one of the worst sounds in the world.

Thanks for that.  Have you ever had to use it yourself?  And as an SC, do you get to patrol on your own or do you have to be with a regular?

Member Achievements

SW_matt

I haven't pressed it myself yet, the closest I have come was fighting with a male in an upstairs bedroom , someone was giving the longest update in the world over the air and the first button I found was the urgent call back (which makes the control room clear the air themselves) as my radio was twisted, although I had every intention of pressing it.

Previously I hadn't as I was still being tutored. I'm now independent and can work on my own.

Edited by SW_matt

Member Achievements

Sentinel

We have issues with ours where comms can talk over it so if they aren't paying attention then everyone misses the initial request for assistance. We also have issues with it changing channels when you press it which isn't the best when you're on the floor rolling around with someone (as I was).

Member Achievements

SimonT

I generally forget i have one when im on the ground fighting. Wish i didnt.

We have an issue of people using them when they cant get in, as it cuts everyone out. So if they have a runner etc they press it. Which is hardly the point. But, often when you call runners there is a 20 minute conversation by comms and everyone else about whatever they can think off to stop you talking. 

And when you press it you want comms to immediately map your set and send people there. But it seems to be the last thing they consider, after chatting away. 

Member Achievements

adrian.middleton

We have issues with ours where comms can talk over it so if they aren't paying attention then everyone misses the initial request for assistance. We also have issues with it changing channels when you press it which isn't the best when you're on the floor rolling around with someone (as I was).

I generally forget i have one when im on the ground fighting. Wish i didnt.

We have an issue of people using them when they cant get in, as it cuts everyone out. So if they have a runner etc they press it. Which is hardly the point. But, often when you call runners there is a 20 minute conversation by comms and everyone else about whatever they can think off to stop you talking. 

And when you press it you want comms to immediately map your set and send people there. But it seems to be the last thing they consider, after chatting away. 

To both those comments, that actually sounds much more annoying than useful then!  I thought it was a lot simpler and realiable than all that.  Comments I got from a PC at A&S raves about the system...

Member Achievements

Scot

Personally wouldn't dream of pressing my panic button for a foot pursuit. We have immediate call back function which does equally a good job. 

The emergency button is exactly that, for an emergency. It's use shouldn't be diluted for situations where comms are talking over you and someone is saying nasty things. Which means when you do press it, it really is hands on deck and everyone get there ASAP. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

SW_matt

Personally wouldn't dream of pressing my panic button for a foot pursuit. We have immediate call back function which does equally a good job. 

The emergency button is exactly that, for an emergency. It's use shouldn't be diluted for situations where comms are talking over you and someone is saying nasty things. Which means when you do press it, it really is hands on deck and everyone get there 

UCB is impossible to press wearing gloves though.

with regards to mapping if you have been updating the control room as to when you are state 6 etc then it shouldn't be an issue

Member Achievements

Sir Penguin

The emergency button is exactly that, for an emergency. It's use shouldn't be diluted for situations where comms are talking over you and someone is saying nasty things. Which means when you do press it, it really is hands on deck and everyone get there ASAP. 

How do you use that feature?

Member Achievements

Marty McFly

How do you use that feature?

It's different for different forces and radios, in my old force it was press and hold a specific number on the keypad.

Member Achievements

Sir Penguin

It's different for different forces and radios, in my old force it was press and hold a specific number on the keypad.

Ah I see. It wasn't mentioned in training nor have I heard anyone speak about it.

Member Achievements

Sentinel

I think the term was meant to be "code 0" which is urgent call, we use 0 but it doesn't work half the time.

Member Achievements

Scot

A call back is a different function from an emergency call back. ECB function was above the main button on the side.

Member Achievements

There are 20 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David