Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited

Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

POL_SC

Becoming SC and insurance

POL_SC

Hi,

I have life insurance, where as we all know premium is affected by anything and everything. Now when I join police as a SC, I will have additional occupation, which is more dangerous than what I do for living (paid job). Has anyone got experience in this subject? Does being special count as occupation? 

Is it likely that my life insurance premium will go up? 

What other things will have to be updated? I assume car insurance for private business. Or maybe volunteering is classified as pleasure.

Member Achievements

Sir Penguin

Changes to your car insurance depend on your insurer. My options were

• Social, Domestic, Pleasure 
  • Commute to single place of work
  • Business use

Because I would be commuting to my usual place of work (day job) and my secondary occupation (SC) I had to add business use to my insurance instead of commute to a single place. It went up about £20 a year but I imagine it will be much cheaper for those who don't have to pay silly insurance premiums. If you will be using your car to travel from station to station during a duty my understanding is that you will need business use too. It's best to check with your supervisors as I'm sure every force will have a policy on this. 

You're premium might even drop if you tell them that you are a special :whistle:

• Like 1

Member Achievements

TheFlomeister

Car insurance wise I've had business cover on it for the past couple of years due to the nature of my job, however I do recall from my Army Cadet days that to be able to claim mileage expenses you needed to have business cover on your insurance. Not sure if the same ruling applies for being a Special Constable though?

Member Achievements

Rocket

If you transport PAVA/CS in your car you need to tell your car insurance company about that too.

Member Achievements

Sceptre

If you transport PAVA/CS in your car you need to tell your car insurance company about that too.

Why? You wouldn't need to tell your insurance company if you're driving privately owned guns around or if you're popping into town for some drain cleaner or a few gas bottles, why is CS any different?

• Like 1

Member Achievements

POL_SC

Talking about claiming mileage. How I can claim mileage when using company vehicle? I have company car, which I can use privately. I do not pay for fuel but company do charge me monthly for private mileage.

Member Achievements

IanW

Talking about claiming mileage. How I can claim mileage when using company vehicle? I have company car, which I can use privately. I do not pay for fuel but company do charge me monthly for private mileage.

That will be force specific really, as they will each have their own policies around claiming mileage.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

POL_SC

I see. Will ask that question then.

So what about Life Insurance? Anyone?

Member Achievements

Smiley Culture

Car insurance wise I've had business cover on it for the past couple of years due to the nature of my job, however I do recall from my Army Cadet days that to be able to claim mileage expenses you needed to have business cover on your insurance. Not sure if the same ruling applies for being a Special Constable though?

I think it does, but I presume that the force's payroll(?) department can answer for definite.

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster

I mentioned it to my insurance company when I renewed and once they had found someone who knew what I was talking about they told me it made not on iota of difference to the policy or the price (I already have business cover).

Member Achievements

AA101

I'm not sure that is correct - the law on consumer insurance changed in 2012 and insurers must now choose what things they want to know and ask you direct. Previously you were the one responsible for disclosing anything a prudent insurer would want to know. If they don't ask, you don't have to tell them and it cannot affect your cover.

Edited by AA101
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

DB11

Yes it's the same for a Special.

Member Achievements

Richhamdo

In our force, business insurance has been required for quite a while  for specials if they wanted to claim mileage.I recall a lot of people including myself  going Grrrrrrrr when told that it  was now required.When I told the firm I always deal with why I needed it and that nothing else had altered or likely to they just changed the policy and I don't think there was any extra charge, if there was it was only a few pounds for the admin.Re the life insurance,I cashed mine in a few years ago.I wasn't bothered much about kicking the bucket when i took it out, my main reason for taking it out was that if I had an accident or whatever and couldn't work. But anyway from what I can recall when I spoke to the agent in a weak moment in the seventies sometime, he wasn't bothered in the slightest that I was in the specials,I suspect he just wanted the commission ha.But I have to say  if I was in your place I would be on the blower or e mail your insurance people and give them as much info as you can.As someone else has said they may well give you a discount.I can't think at the moment of anything else as to how being a special has affected anything.but then I have lived a very simple life.ha.Rich.

Edited by Richhamdo
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Woody

I spoke with my life insurance and told them they said no it doesn't effect my premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Mazza

If you are claiming business mileage (which is non-taxable) then you need business insurance.  It depends on how your force classifies your mileage.

I find it didn't make any difference to my car insurance, and I've had business insurance for a few years so it was just the occupational change that I had.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK.

Get in touch

• 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
  • contact@rawdigitalmedia.co.uk
  • 0844 357 0111
  • Forums In Our Group - Police.Community - UKPoliceOnline.CO.UK - PoliceSpecials.COM - PoliceUK.COM

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators
  • David