Police Pension Advisors

at06

I’ve been a civil servant for 12.5 years and have a decent civil service pension built up, but I’ve been given a start date with Wiltshire Police and am now starting to think about the pensions. I want to find out whether I ought to bring my civil service pension over or to keep it separate but I’ve no idea where to start.

Does anybody know who I ought to speak to to provide financial advice on police / civil service pensions? Regular financial advisors, I imagine, are woefully ill-equipped in the intricacies of public sector pensions to be able to give real authoritative advice - or am I completely wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

You probably aren't wrong.  Sorry I wouldn't know where to direct you in terms of getting reliable advice but a good starting point would be to see how many years you can buy in the police pension scheme (bearing in mind it is CARE) with your 12.5 years from your previous scheme (which will be final salary).  You might find it's something on reasonable parity leaving you with some fairly basic sums to work it out.