Chip Chop: Smashing the Mobile Phone Security Chip for Fun and Digital Forensics

Equin0x

https://www.forensicfocus.com/webinars/chip-chop-smashing-the-mobile-phone-security-chip-for-fun-and-digital-forensics/

Interesting attack, but ultimately still hinges on being able to brute force the users passcode. If this fails (passcode too long?) then acquisition won't be possible. But how relevant is this in policing today? Most people I know don't switch off their phones ever, some don't even use an pin, most will use a 4-6 digit code which is easily brute forced. And for those with longer passcodes there's RIPA I guess. How often does this issue come up?

Just obtain the data via other means, cracking the device is usually unnecessary and worst case issue a Sect 49 notice, fail to comply and get 2 -5 years depending on the offence. 

Most people give the pins anyway and legal Advisors will usually advise it’s given. 

1 hour ago, Ether said:

Just obtain the data via other means, cracking the device is usually unnecessary and worst case issue a Sect 49 notice, fail to comply and get 2 -5 years depending on the offence. 

Most people give the pins anyway and legal Advisors will usually advise it’s given. 

I keep hearing conflicting stuff about the Sect 49 notices. Supposedly they aren't issued trivially and will only be approved for serious crimes, but then I've heard others say they can get them issued for anything. What's the score?

2 hours ago, Equin0x said:

I keep hearing conflicting stuff about the Sect 49 notices. Supposedly they aren't issued trivially and will only be approved for serious crimes, but then I've heard others say they can get them issued for anything. What's the score?

Correct reforms serious crime, however that definition is open to interpretation. 

They aren’t issued for trivial crimes and they are not authorised at a low level.

From experience some time ago these were pushed through the NCA gatekeeper who scrutinises them and won’t authorise if they aren’t necessary. This isn’t your usual ‘Chantelle has called Mercedes as [email protected]’ type tool.

I can’t speak for all forces, some may have the ability to issue their own without the NCA.