Soldier points gun at auditor

ChristopherM

Is this video real? The "soldier" in the video looks so unprofessional that my first impression was that the whole thing was staged.

Possibly MPGS.

5 hours ago, Indiana Jones said:

Possibly MPGS.

Definitely MPGS.

Inappropriate use of a firearm, but the claims of lawful possession in a public place on that video are utter nonsense. A member of HM Forces has the same exemptions as a Police Officer to the Firearms Act. 

It’s a matter for the Service to deal with via the Military Police or Disciplinary process.  

Edited by Ether

6 hours ago, Equin0x said:

Is this video real? The "soldier" in the video looks so unprofessional that my first impression was that the whole thing was staged.

I would say it’s real yes.

I can confirm both soldiers are MPGS, I recognise the cap badge and TRF. The MPGS started just before I left the army, I also had some subsequent dealings with them in the MDP. Their lack of professionalism is quite well known, sadly the actions in this video don't surprise me. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Father Jack said:

I can confirm both soldiers are MPGS, I recognise the cap badge and TRF. The MPGS started just before I left the army, I also had some subsequent dealings with them in the MDP. Their lack of professionalism is quite well known, sadly the actions in this video don't surprise me. 

I'm not an expert so I can't comment, but would drawing a gun like that be a very serious breach of professional standards?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChristopherM said:

I'm not an expert so I can't comment, but would drawing a gun like that be a very serious breach of professional standards?

More than that! It would potentially be an aggravated assault. If the individual reporting it legitimately and truthfully believed that they would then and there be subjected to unlawful violence. The presence of a firearm in that situation would be an aggravating factor.

Edited by Father Jack

1 hour ago, Father Jack said:

More than that! It would potentially be an aggravated assault. If the individual reporting it legitimately and truthfully believed that they would then and there be subjected to unlawful violence. The presence of a firearm in that situation would be an aggravating factor.

I suspect it won’t get that far if the soldier says he felt threatened. 

1 hour ago, Ether said:

I suspect it won’t get that far if the soldier says he felt threatened. 

The law doesn't work like that, you can't just say you felt threatened, it has to be a genuine belief. In the circumstances, I think he'd find it hard to argue he legitimately felt threatened. Big tough soldier scared of some civvy with a camera?

Edited by Equin0x

48 minutes ago, Equin0x said:

The law doesn't work like that, you can't just say you felt threatened, it has to be a genuine belief. In the circumstances, I think he'd find it hard to argue he legitimately felt threatened. Big tough soldier scared of some civvy with a camera?

I’m well aware how the law works, both civilian and military. 

As I say, I doubt it will get that far.

6 hours ago, Ether said:

I’m well aware how the law works, both civilian and military. 

As I say, I doubt it will get that far.

Then you should know that you can't just say "I felt threatened" as a catch all defence to assault charges. You have to genuinely feel threatened and I think he'd struggle to convince people that a soldier in the armed forces was so terrified of an unarmed civilian filming with a camera that he felt he had to draw his weapon.

4 hours ago, Equin0x said:

Then you should know that you can't just say "I felt threatened" as a catch all defence to assault charges. You have to genuinely feel threatened and I think he'd struggle to convince people that a soldier in the armed forces was so terrified of an unarmed civilian filming with a camera that he felt he had to draw his weapon.

Except you can’t see what’s behind the camera, so you are assuming that he wasn’t in fear aren’t you. 

As I have previously said, the introduction of a firearm to that situation was inappropriate and the manner in which it was, is also inappropriate. 

But I doubt he will see a criminal charge, the military will likely deal with it via the Service Justice System as a professional failing. Which they can and should given he was lawfully in possession of the firearm at the time. 

15 hours ago, Father Jack said:

What’s an ‘aggravated assault’? Sounds like an Americanism. 

• Like 1