Was an LGV driver now a PC - what next

BlueBob

There are some who were an LGV  driver in a previous life and have since joined the police,  and then onto road policing.  Of those who were LGV drivers, and the apparent rapid change of wages for an LGV driver, thought I'd raise a post and see if any ex-LGV drivers have had thoughts of moving back or staying in the job?

I thought many of the tales of sudden wage hikes were largely anecdotal?

A RPU PC on top pay spline with overtime coming in and already doing anti-social hours; vs all the tasks of a lorry driver and spending some time away from home whilst on jobs but probably lower wages, potentially self-employed with all the extra effort that comes from that. If it were me, I'd not make the jump.

It is the class 1 HGV wgere the money is but, it also brings in cab overnight living and being away from home. Does not affect me but does not seem worthwhile.

Or any Traffic with Class 1 through the job moonlighting as drivers on RDs…..?

9 hours ago, Jeebs said:

Or any Traffic with Class 1 through the job moonlighting as drivers on RDs…..?

It’s all but impossible to do any meaningful legit driving and have any other full time job. 

20 hours ago, Indiana Jones said:

I thought many of the tales of sudden wage hikes were largely anecdotal?

A RPU PC on top pay spline with overtime coming in and already doing anti-social hours; vs all the tasks of a lorry driver and spending some time away from home whilst on jobs but probably lower wages, potentially self-employed with all the extra effort that comes from that. If it were me, I'd not make the jump.

yep, I can understand longer serving officers not moving, there’s lots who are not on top rate.  Just curious, when those with other trades  trying policing and leave to go back to that trade.