Crime victims will be assigned a designated named police officer they can call under Boris Johnson's new 'beating crime plan'

Equin0x

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9822195/PM-tries-shift-focus-crime-Priti-Patel-rebuke-pingdemic-row.html

"Boris Johnson will seek to shift the focus on to tackling crime when he re-emerges from isolation to counter criticism over the 'pingdemic' and police anger at Home Secretary Priti Patel."

What does this mean in practice? It says victims of crime will be assigned a specific officer and given a number to call or email to message, but doesn't this kind of thing already happen with officers giving out their card and "call us if you remember anything else/want updates"?

The biggest tool in the armoury of the party that is ‘Tough on Crime’ having demolished the police for 10 years is to give every victim the name of the officer who is dealing with their crime. 
I may be wrong but hasn’t that been the case under VCOP since 2005? 
Maybe the new rule can include something like you get when you phone other businesses? ‘Your crime is important to us. PC Johnson your named contact. Your crime is number …. 15 on their list.’  
Then maybe some realism like, ‘They will contact you when they are not dealing with immediately saving life and property, working nights, covering for the other beleaguered public services - ambulance, social care, coastguard etc. Doing cell/hospital watch and after they have dealt with crimes 1-14 on their list.’ 

D8171B79-375B-4D31-97A6-046ECC991289.jpeg

5 hours ago, Equin0x said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9822195/PM-tries-shift-focus-crime-Priti-Patel-rebuke-pingdemic-row.html

"Boris Johnson will seek to shift the focus on to tackling crime when he re-emerges from isolation to counter criticism over the 'pingdemic' and police anger at Home Secretary Priti Patel."

What does this mean in practice? It says victims of crime will be assigned a specific officer and given a number to call or email to message, but doesn't this kind of thing already happen with officers giving out their card and "call us if you remember anything else/want updates"?

Allow me to put it into perspective. Most frontline officers are carrying 30+ crimes and are still expected to attend emergency incidents. So, yeah, you've have a name to complain about but your crime isn't getting solved any quicker. But...and here's the important part...it looks good on paper and wins votes.

• Like 2

Thid has been going on ever since I joined the job. 

Bizzare. 

Didn't a certain Ms T May once say that the number one priority for police is to deal with crime so BoJo is just repeating what she said.  Sadly neither of them have notice how much none crime crud we deal with which stops us dealing with crime.

I have no idea how this will make s difference. It would be nice if it does, but it won't. 

Enquiries for victims are chucked together in the brief lul between jobs or thrown out to our statement takers (literally no idea how we managed to get one ) 

Then at the end of the process, when / if justice had been completed, nothing has changed and the victim has nothing. Why would you report most crime apart from a crime number I don't know.