Daily mail. Police anger over pay freeze could see officers enforce a 'go-slow' on 999 calls or ditch their guns on VIP duty, their federation warns

Member of public 1

Hmmm, can't say I'm aware of this sort of threat. Yes we like a moan, but we have been kicked so many times we can barely feel this one. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, SimonT said:

Hmmm, can't say I'm aware of this sort of threat. Yes we like a moan, but we have been kicked so many times we can barely feel this one. 

Can't say I've noticed anyone on my shift act differently. The control room certainly likes to assign us to 2-3 calls at the same time to clear their screens and harass us for taking more than 30 minutes on a robbery at knife point.

It will never happen as we have no history of doing anything like that, we aren't militant and we have a can do rather than won't do attitude.

• Like 1

It’s hardly just a police issue, the public sector has had no pay increases in years and policing is still Reasonably paid.

The politicians also know we won’t actually do any of these things too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skydiver said:

It will never happen as we have no history of doing anything like that, we aren't militant and we have a can do rather than won't do attitude.

This is part of the problem though. We are people who make it work even when it’s broken. 

Teams at minimum staffing?….it’s okay we will run about like headless chickens to meet demand and oh so important target times.

No vehicles?……it’s okay, we will send someone to another nick to pick some cars up. 

File needs sorting?…..it’s okay, we will stay late, in our own time to get it done because otherwise it won’t happen. 

The Cons tell their Sgts that their at breaking point, their workloads are too high, they don’t get clerical, they can’t possibly do all this disclosure nonsense, the vehicles are all shagged, the IT is so broken they cant do their jobs, they can’t get leave and that civvie street during a global pandemic seems like a better option.

The Sgts pass it on to the Inspector who pass it on and on and on. It eventually reaches the Chief Con, his bagman says “Sir the moral on the frontline is a bit low, maybe send out a patronising email to cheer them up next week” and that’s the solution to the problem.

Nothing is ever addressed properly. It only works because we make it work, no other reason. If we stopped, it would fail.

Every single year our earnings in real terms are reduced, I think since I joined, I have lost 16% of my salary or something daft because of inadequate increases. To my knowledge, they have always been below the rate of inflation.

Im deskilled and indoctrinated, I simply cannot leave. It’s like an abusive relationship. 

Edited by Jeebs
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Ether said:

It’s hardly just a police issue, the public sector has had no pay increases in years and policing is still Reasonably paid.

The nature of our job means that we can't be compared with most of the rest of the public sector so we should have different treatment from them.  We don't have unions, we can't strike, we work 24/7, we deal with vile people, we can be told where to live and what second jobs we can do and we've worked through covid and been exposed to more of the disease than most other workers with the exception of the NHS.  The end result is warm words and no pay rise.  I would also anticipate that the government will have an excuse to cut our wages even further for the next 3-5 years, just like with austerity.  Remember inflation went up by over 30% whilst our wages only grew by 12% during the same period.

It will not happen as it is not in our DNA. Perhaps the Home Offcier should dig out, dust and rad the Edmund Davies report from, I think, 1974.  

The damage was done by Theresa May and Tom Winsor who butchered the Police Pay structure and reduced staffing levels to obscene levels.  I remember being at Conference when May attended as Home Secretary she just ignored everything that was said and addressed conference in a derisory manner.  What di she do, she awarded Tom Winsor with a Knighthood and appointed him as Chief HMI. Ronnie Barker could not have competed with that type of comedy.

2 hours ago, skydiver said:

The nature of our job means that we can't be compared with most of the rest of the public sector so we should have different treatment from them.  We don't have unions, we can't strike, we work 24/7, we deal with vile people, we can be told where to live and what second jobs we can do and we've worked through covid and been exposed to more of the disease than most other workers with the exception of the NHS.  The end result is warm words and no pay rise.  I would also anticipate that the government will have an excuse to cut our wages even further for the next 3-5 years, just like with austerity.  Remember inflation went up by over 30% whilst our wages only grew by 12% during the same period.

Don’t disagree with any of what you said, my point simply was the pay isn’t particularly bad. Public sector workers are all suffering.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ether said:

Don’t disagree with any of what you said, my point simply was the pay isn’t particularly bad. Public sector workers are all suffering.

But unlike most public sector workers we have no option but to accept whatever rubbish HMG imposes on us. Fairness only seems to go one way which is awaya from us and towards the government.

10 hours ago, skydiver said:

But unlike most public sector workers we have no option but to accept whatever rubbish HMG imposes on us. Fairness only seems to go one way which is awaya from us and towards the government.

It has always been that way until the Edmund Davies report and the pay increase of 25% plus with an included pay structure.  Nobody was co0mplaining at that time. The problem came over the years as the pay formula gave very generous increases. The pay structure was implemented by Margaret Thatcher. It lasted from 1974 until around 2010 when Tom Winsor under the direction of Theresa May decided to decimate the pay structure.  Strange that one female Conservative Prime minister knew the value of the Police and another Conservative Prime Minister knew how to devalue and decimate the Police.  The reward, as I have previously said, was a Knighthood for Tom Winsor and appointment as CHMI.

• Like 1

I've just re-read the original comments by Ken Marsh (Met Fed Rep) and his blustering about what officers could or might do.  I really wonder if he is reflecting his members views or is blustering to get a bit of media and hoping for some traction as a result of that.  Funny that he so quickly gets the officers view when wanted and yet they also seem to spend an endless amount of time and money on voting and polls with members and getting quite low returns or responses!!!  If he is true about the officers feelings then let Ken Marsh put his feelings into words and emails and be bold enough to say 'I want my members to ....... (fill in the gaps on speeding, handing in firearms, attending, overtime etc as per the media post)."   I predict it will be a very long wait or a very very short email!

22 hours ago, skydiver said:

I agree, it’s the same with the military who also don’t have the option to strike. 

Any officer who would actually do a go-slow responding to an emergency isn't fit to wear the uniform and should be kicked out.