Government Announces Pay Cut of Between 2.5 and 4%

skydiver

The government hasn't officially given us a pay cut but with inflation at 2.5% and predicted to peak at between 3 and 4% our pay freeze means that we will be receiving a pay cut.  That is also on top of the last 10 years of freezes and under inflation rises.  

We've worked through covid and received platitudes from the government but nothing which really acknowledges the effort we put in to help keep the nation safe.

With the Gov being short on income at the moment, the only way to make money available would be through local and Gov taxation.  So the question really is whether employees, police included, would accept an increase in income tax to fund these costs.  Until then, little will change.  You could say that police are representative of their community as many employees have had little if any pay rises over a number of years, in some cases they have decreases and reduced job security.

I take you point BlueBob but I'm fed up of the government taking us for granted especially when it is a pay rise is as much a political decision as an economic one given the huge amount we are currently borrowing.  Another Bn is neither here nor there if it gives us a pay rise instead of a pay cut given the work that we have put in over the last 18 months.  I also make the same argument  for the NHS as they are in the same boat as us.

This happens pretty much every year, our wages never go up beyond inflation and we inevitably lose purchasing power.

There is no appetite to pay us more, the politicians don’t want to, the public already think we’re paid enough and the federation are a toothless dragon that doesn’t push hard enough for us. It’s just the way it is.

Nothing will ever change! 

• Like 4