MPs demand review of tens of thousands of 'muddled, discriminatory and unfair' Covid fines

Equin0x

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9514495/MPs-demand-review-tens-thousands-Covid-fines.html

MPs and peers have demanded a review of tens of thousands of Covid fines after branding them 'muddled, discriminatory and unfair'.

• Like 1
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TooTall

• Equin0x

• Zulu 22

• BizzieBee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you were fined for doing nothing wrong I suspect you'd be jumping for joy as well if/when it was overturned.

What is in black and white in this copy and paste of the old Regulations are some (not a definitive list) of the reasonable excuses to leave the place where a person lives. It does not prohibit people

Good to see the MPs supporting the Police enforcing a law parliament they put in place......oh wait..

TooTall

Good to see the MPs supporting the Police enforcing a law parliament they put in place......oh wait..

• Like 2
Zulu 22

The M.P.'s were concerned that many of those fined were young people who could not afford the fines. If the fines were not paid they would be dealt with in Court thus criminalising them.  Strange that the irresponsible behaviour came from many of those poor people who, somehow, could afford to go out partying and breaching the regulations which were in place to protect people. Many were students who were ,perhaps, just showing how immature and feckless they could be.

It was M.P.'s involved in making the regulations so they should not be complaining.

• Like 1
BlueBob

I think it was one of the main papers who included a comment that there had been about 65 changes to the regs in just over a year.  At the time the rules seemed so sensible difficult to enforce, but sensible (ish). But as things change our attitudes also change and forget.  It may be less costly and more effective for GOVERNMENT (not police) to simply void the lot and offer refunds😄 

Zulu 22
9 minutes ago, BlueBob said:

I think it was one of the main papers who included a comment that there had been about 65 changes to the regs in just over a year.  At the time the rules seemed so sensible difficult to enforce, but sensible (ish). But as things change our attitudes also change and forget.  It may be less costly and more effective for GOVERNMENT (not police) to simply void the lot and offer refunds😄 

I think that would send the wrong message completely.

Equin0x
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

I think that would send the wrong message completely.

I disagree, I think it would be a good idea. People are being fined for doing things that should be considered perfectly normal and acceptable. Once the emergency is over, in my view there can be no public interest in chasing those fines or pursuing people. We should be looking to the future and moving on, not prolonging thesuffering.

Edited by Equin0x
  • Like 1
TooTall
21 minutes ago, Equin0x said:

I disagree, I think it would be a good idea. People are being fined for doing things that should be considered perfectly normal and acceptable. Once the emergency is over, in my view there can be no public interest in chasing those fines or pursuing people. We should be looking to the future and moving on, not prolonging thesuffering.

What a brilliant example that would set if we go back into another lockdown....... everyone ignore the law they will fine us, but scrap them later on. 

Those fined knew the law and chose to break it. Thus the fine is justified. 

They put others at risk, simply because they are selfish.

• Like 1
BizzieBee
41 minutes ago, Equin0x said:

I disagree, I think it would be a good idea. People are being fined for doing things that should be considered perfectly normal and acceptable.

And, most importantly, “legal”. The volume of fines dished out where the Legislation doesn’t support it, that I’ve seen personally, is astonishingly embarrassing to the Force. 

2 hours ago, TooTall said:

A good point. But, as we are in the business of Law and Police Powers, we are duty bound to exercise them according to law. The Legislation was ambiguous with more loopholes than can be found in a rope factory. The Police ‘Leaders’ utterly failed those on the front line and are complicit in encouraging the issuance.
How any Constable consciously issued any Covid sanction is beyond my comprehension.

It’s an embarrassment.  

TooTall

The only embarrassment is so called adults not adhering to simple rules, and looking to question everything. 

One form of exercise, taken locally. Majority of people think okay I can go for a walk or run in my area.

Jobs worth's go they didn't define what local was. Then take a day trip 60 miles away and moan when they get a fine. 

I alway thought these rules where good. They treated the population like adults, however instead we have adults acting like children. It just goes to show in today's world people are so selfish and inconsiderate to those around them. I'm actually surprised Parliament didn't impose and enforce  a strict curfew with the way people acted. 

• Like 1
BizzieBee
20 minutes ago, TooTall said:

It just goes to show in today's world people are so selfish and inconsiderate to those around them.

That’s a very fair point, however:

not adhering to simple rules

I alway thought these rules where good.

The ‘rules’ in question is largely ‘guidance’, hence the litigation issues - QED. 

We can’t go around penalising people for not breaching Legislation and merely being ‘selfish’. It brings the legal system and criminal justice system into disrepute and is just simply embarrassing - from the bottom to top. 

TooTall

They where penalised for breaching legislation. The fines should be scrapped and instead community service handed out. Made to wear big orange overalls and sent out onto the streets to sweep and clean them. Next to a sign stating their selfish actions potential cost someone their life. 

• Like 1
Equin0x
37 minutes ago, TooTall said:

One form of exercise, taken locally. Majority of people think okay I can go for a walk or run in my area.

Jobs worth's go they didn't define what local was. Then take a day trip 60 miles away and moan when they get a fine. 

I alway thought these rules where good. They treated the population like adults, however instead we have adults acting like children. It just goes to show in today's world people are so selfish and inconsiderate to those around them. I'm actually surprised Parliament didn't impose and enforce  a strict curfew with the way people acted. 

The problem is that police were trying to enforce guidance as well as legislation, something a lot of people quite rightly objected to. There was nothing in legislation about "one form of exercise", that was just a suggestion, like 1 hour of exercise. People were quite entitled to ignore that suggestion and exercise for longer, or exercise multiple times a day.

• Like 1
BizzieBee
6 minutes ago, TooTall said:

They where penalised for breaching legislation

But they were not.  Hence the ensuing mess, cancelled fines and non payment cases. This is literally what is going on now, with warnings from ACRO. 

9 minutes ago, TooTall said:

community service handed out

Community Service? For not following guidance? 🤨

7 minutes ago, Equin0x said:

There was nothing in legislation about "one form of exercise", that was just a suggestion, like 1 hour of exercise. People were quite entitled to ignore that suggestion and exercise for longer, or exercise multiple times a day.

Or the whole “5 miles” debacle, and fines being issued for people driving to a larger park to exercise, in order to avoid smaller parks becoming crowded. If anything, they should be given praise for using common sense. Something Policing lacks with distinction. 

TooTall

But you forget how did these people get caught? They breach the once condition. You must not leave your home without a reasonable excuse. 

• Like 1
BizzieBee
5 minutes ago, TooTall said:

But you forget how did these people get caught?

Umm, oppressive Policing, without regard to the law?

6 minutes ago, TooTall said:

You must not leave your home without a reasonable excuse. 

Right. And the Legislation states ... ?