How do officers feel about enforcing covid regulations?

Father Jack
30 minutes ago, BizzieBee said:

Legislation isn’t written by Police, but the enforcement action is. On these occasions, by way of Penalty notices. Penalty notice is a punishment - per @Equin0x post above. 

Not in any meaningful way. I Ihink we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

• Like 1
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zulu 22

• Equin0x

• BizzieBee

• Dave SYP

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It reads that you are like  some others who have arbitrarily decided that YOU (Others) think that the control measures are no longer relevant, not because the risks and rules have actually gone but me

That’s a concept I’ve listened to for decades. ‘One rule for them and another for the rest of us’ doesn’t mean that you should become lawless and a law breaker because a prominent politician wasn’t wh

Different country, but here goes... We have not enforced our (similar - masks, social distancing, capacity etc.) COVID restrictions in any meaningful way, beyond providing occasional muscle for o

BlueBob
2 hours ago, BizzieBee said:

They are not, which leads to multiple examples of this: 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-55594244.amp

Penalty notices issued for situations and circumstance not within the Legislation. It’s not entirely their fault as they are blindly led by ‘leaders’ who also don’t know how to apply the law where the coronavirus laws are very much subjective. As acknowledged: http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-9024/CBP-9024.pdf

Legislation isn’t written by Police, but the enforcement action is. On these occasions, by way of Penalty notices. Penalty notice is a punishment - per @Equin0x post above. 

Mmm, not so sure.  IMHO, a penalty notice is a shortcut instead of police seeking to apply fora summons, have the summons issued, it being served on the person, they attend court, only to find the court impose a penalty equal to the penalty notice.  Don't forget, being issued and accepting an FPN is not accepting guilt, its an option.  It would be quite different if police took cash at the time and imposed the points on the licence at the time of issue.

• Like 1
BizzieBee
30 minutes ago, BlueBob said:

only to find the court impose a penalty equal to the penalty notice

More than the penalty notice, plus costs. 

31 minutes ago, BlueBob said:

being issued and accepting an FPN is not accepting guilt, its an option

Often one forced or sold. 

BlueBob
2 hours ago, BizzieBee said:

And in other cases has been les than the FPS.  Don’t forget, pleading guilty at the earliest opportunity ( at time of issue,of fun, or 1st appearance if charged) incurs a discount anyway.  Sorry to miss it, but what is your point of view on the comment you made!

Radman

I made the decision around two months into the pandemic not to issue tickets unless I felt there was no other real way or option forward after reading the ACTUAL legislation rather than the guff someone at HQ circulated out, after doing that I immediately let out a very audible "hmmmmmm."

The legislation surrounding COVID-19 for the most part just isn't very well written and in my opinion is not effectively enforceable in any meaningful way.

Months later I found out the vast majority of COVID-19 tickets issued that were challenged had been overturned and thrown out. 

As an aside I found sending warning letters out to addresses of parent/guardians and individuals was a better option if I had the time to do that, something was still being done in a semi-official manner without someone getting a fine - Of late I've also done this with what could be considered low level byelaw offences where I've felt formal action such as a Community Resolution was too far but a ticking off at the time wasn't quite enough, you're doing something even if it is just a written letter.

• Like 1
Reasonable Man
20 hours ago, BizzieBee said:

1. Maybe. 
2. up to the recipient to accept or not buy that offer. 
As most respondents have said the police cannot and do not fine people. Particular to Covid Regulations, the legislation under discussion - the officer reports the suspect and completes a form that is sent to the Criminal Records Office. It is there where it is decided whether to give the offer of a fixed penalty - they calculate the amount based on the offence and any previous notices. The reported person then has the option to pay that penalty or go to court. 

• Like 1
Zulu 22
1 hour ago, Reasonable Man said:

1. Maybe. 
2. up to the recipient to accept or not buy that offer. 
As most respondents have said the police cannot and do not fine people. Particular to Covid Regulations, the legislation under discussion - the officer reports the suspect and completes a form that is sent to the Criminal Records Office. It is there where it is decided whether to give the offer of a fixed penalty - they calculate the amount based on the offence and any previous notices. The reported person then has the option to pay that penalty or go to court. 

Thank you for the explanation. I am glad that I am in the slippers and woolly jumper brigade now.