Jump to content
×
×
  • Create New...

How do officers feel about enforcing covid regulations?


Recommended Posts

Zulu 22
7 hours ago, BizzieBee said:

Once upon a time, far far away, other countries used to look to the U.K. for guidance on good policing practice. 

Glad to see other countries have now got their own minds and keeping up standards whilst others, now us, are looking at other countries thinking ‘where did we go so wrong?’

...QPMs. Teas. Medals...

Are you sure about all that. Compared with other countries we seem to have fared pretty well, especially the EU Countries who have been a disaster. Our main problem is with people who are showing completely irresponsible behaviour.  Many, although not all have been in the student community. I cannot speak for other area's but I know that, certainly in Manchester, around the student Campus area's the behaviour has been totally irresponsible with little though for anyone but themselves. They seem to want to put partying and drinking in excess before anything else.  It seems to be all about Me, Me, Me.

It is difficult to compare this country with Stewie's Canada as, they have a little more space than we do in this country.  You could fit GB in to just about any province in Canada.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Zulu 22

    11

  • Equin0x

    9

  • BizzieBee

    9

  • Dave SYP

    7

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It reads that you are like  some others who have arbitrarily decided that YOU (Others) think that the control measures are no longer relevant, not because the risks and rules have actually gone but me

That’s a concept I’ve listened to for decades. ‘One rule for them and another for the rest of us’ doesn’t mean that you should become lawless and a law breaker because a prominent politician wasn’t wh

Different country, but here goes... We have not enforced our (similar - masks, social distancing, capacity etc.) COVID restrictions in any meaningful way, beyond providing occasional muscle for o

Equin0x
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

Are you sure about all that. Compared with other countries we seem to have fared pretty well, especially the EU Countries who have been a disaster. Our main problem is with people who are showing completely irresponsible behaviour.  Many, although not all have been in the student community. I cannot speak for other area's but I know that, certainly in Manchester, around the student Campus area's the behaviour has been totally irresponsible with little though for anyone but themselves. They seem to want to put partying and drinking in excess before anything else.  It seems to be all about Me, Me, Me.

It is difficult to compare this country with Stewie's Canada as, they have a little more space than we do in this country.  You could fit GB in to just about any province in Canada.

 

 

Students wanting to drink and party, whatever next.

 

I'm quite interested in your views on restrictions Zulu. When do you think we should lift them all and be back to how we lived in 2019? I personally don't think we can ever eradicate covid, nor do I think we can keep restrictions forever. If you agree with those two points (and not everybody does admittedly) then there will always be a risk of covid but eventually you will need to lift restrictions anyway and just live with that risk once it's at an acceptable level. In your opinion, what is that acceptable level? I personally think that once the vulnerable are vaccinated we should be opening up completely.

Edited by Equin0x
Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave SYP
30 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

Are you sure about all that. Compared with other countries we seem to have fared pretty well, especially the EU Countries who have been a disaster. Our main problem is with people who are showing completely irresponsible behaviour.  Many, although not all have been in the student community. I cannot speak for other area's but I know that, certainly in Manchester, around the student Campus area's the behaviour has been totally irresponsible with little though for anyone but themselves. They seem to want to put partying and drinking in excess before anything else.  It seems to be all about Me, Me, Me.

It is difficult to compare this country with Stewie's Canada as, they have a little more space than we do in this country.  You could fit GB in to just about any province in Canada.

 

 

In my area we have two universities and the vast majority of the student population have been excellent.  However, around 20% of the ones in student halls and rented accommodation have been partying like there’s no tomorrow with no thought for themselves, their fellow students, neighbours or staff.  They have shown contempt for authority and disregard distancing even when police turn up! Policing them is very difficult and downright dangerous in some cases. If they are the future of our country, please God save us all!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
BizzieBee
42 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

Are you sure about all that.

Yes. Policing in the U.K. was once revered. For its tradition, accessibility, crime outcomes, staying at pace or with speed, the pomp(!), the no nonsense approach, the safety in dealing with volatile situations, respect. Et. Al. Even the criminals had respect. 

We are now are a laughing stock and have followed the entire ‘Criminal Justice System’ umbrella and become weakened and ineffectual. Our Police isn’t the beast it once was and it’s made no effort to even try. It’s lamentable / pathetic. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Radman
10 hours ago, BizzieBee said:

 


Once upon a time, far far away, other countries used to look to the U.K. for guidance on good policing practice. 

Glad to see other countries have now got their own minds and keeping up standards whilst others, now us, are looking at other countries thinking ‘where did we go so wrong?’

...QPMs. Teas. Medals...

We have politicians and people in positions of power (note how I didn't say Leadership) who would be better suited in corporate middle management posts. 

That is me being genuinely honest. 

Then again many cops now don't even see the job they're in as policing, they know they are simply glorified social workers for the most part, aren't interested in proactively patrolling or getting the job done. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Zulu 22
3 hours ago, Equin0x said:

Students wanting to drink and party, whatever next.

I'm quite interested in your views on restrictions Zulu. When do you think we should lift them all and be back to how we lived in 2019? I personally don't think we can ever eradicate covid, nor do I think we can keep restrictions forever. If you agree with those two points (and not everybody does admittedly) then there will always be a risk of covid but eventually you will need to lift restrictions anyway and just live with that risk once it's at an acceptable level. In your opinion, what is that acceptable level? I personally think that once the vulnerable are vaccinated we should be opening up completely.

My view on the restrictions is quite simple.  I am not a scientist so I will be guided by the Scientists, Medical Experts and the measures taken, with advice, by the Government. The acceptable level will, again, be worked out in conjunction with the expert advice so, my opinion is a little irrelevant.  I could just imagine if this was 1940 you would be asking, "When is the war going to end."

The Government is trying to manage a situation which has not been seen before. They may not have got all things right but, they can only go on the evidence available.  If I had any opinion it would be that they lifted the restrictions too early to accommodate Christmas which allowed a spike in infections.  

I have received my vaccinations so, technically I should be safe, however that does not stop me from carrying the infection and infecting other people.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Equin0x
Just now, Zulu 22 said:

My view on the restrictions is quite simple.  I am not a scientist so I will be guided by the Scientists, Medical Experts and the measures taken, with advice, by the Government. The acceptable level will, again, be worked out in conjunction with the expert advice so, my opinion is a little irrelevant.  I could just imagine if this was 1940 you would be asking, "When is the war going to end."

The Government is trying to manage a situation which has not been seen before. They may not have got all things right but, they can only go on the evidence available.  If I had any opinion it would be that they lifted the restrictions too early to accommodate Christmas which allowed a spike in infections.  

I have received my vaccinations so, technically I should be safe, however that does not stop me from carrying the infection and infecting other people.

Interesting views, cheers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
BlueBob
9 hours ago, BizzieBee said:

Yes. Policing in the U.K. was once revered. For its tradition, accessibility, crime outcomes, staying at pace or with speed, the pomp(!), the no nonsense approach, the safety in dealing with volatile situations, respect. Et. Al. Even the criminals had respect. 

We are now are a laughing stock and have followed the entire ‘Criminal Justice System’ umbrella and become weakened and ineffectual. Our Police isn’t the beast it once was and it’s made no effort to even try. It’s lamentable / pathetic. 

Just curious, so who can you reference of even suggest sees the uk policing system as laughable compared to the pre-Covid times?   And in doing so, you must surely have a country to whom you would see the UK should be “looking up to” as we here we should be?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Zulu 22
13 hours ago, BlueBob said:

Just curious, so who can you reference of even suggest sees the uk policing system as laughable compared to the pre-Covid times?   And in doing so, you must surely have a country to whom you would see the UK should be “looking up to” as we here we should be?

They could always compare it with Myan Mar, or perhaps Hong Kong.  Even with our/your failings we stand head and shoulders above most Countries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave SYP

I have said it before, ‘society gets the police service it deserves’.  Today’s UK society doesn’t seem to live to the same disciplines, principles and respect for authority as some of us. Policing Covid regulations was always going to be a challenge, but policing them amongst the already ill-disciplined elements of society is nigh on impossible. The pandemic will spike again I fear, but the selfish undisciplined minority who would have no restrictions or policing of regulations will only change their ways when it affects them directly. Selflessness, obedience to lawful orders and common sense are evident, but only within those who have served and protected it seems.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Equin0x
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave SYP said:

I have said it before, ‘society gets the police service it deserves’.  Today’s UK society doesn’t seem to live to the same disciplines, principles and respect for authority as some of us. Policing Covid regulations was always going to be a challenge, but policing them amongst the already ill-disciplined elements of society is nigh on impossible. The pandemic will spike again I fear, but the selfish undisciplined minority who would have no restrictions or policing of regulations will only change their ways when it affects them directly. Selflessness, obedience to lawful orders and common sense are evident, but only within those who have served and protected it seems.

 

Big problem with the respect for authority aspect is a lot of us feel the authorities aren't treating us fairly. You fine us if we break the covid regs, but you let Dominic Cummings and politicians break them without taking action. If you treat people differently because of their status in society, those who are adversely affected will obviously not have as much respect for you.

Edited by Equin0x
Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave SYP
17 minutes ago, Equin0x said:

 

Big problem with the respect for authority aspect is a lot of us feel the authorities aren't treating us fairly. You fine us if we break the covid regs, but you let Dominic Cummings and politicians break them without taking action. If you treat people differently because of their status in society, those who are adversely affected will obviously not have as much respect for you.

That’s a concept I’ve listened to for decades. ‘One rule for them and another for the rest of us’ doesn’t mean that you should become lawless and a law breaker because a prominent politician wasn’t whipped at the post. Woolly Liberals and activists still need to live by the laws of the land, otherwise if the majority of us felt the same way anarchy would overtake and society would ultimately consist of more feral, lawless and monstrous beings preying on the weak. Who would society have to properly protect the individual then? I digressed. We need law and order and more law-abiding citizens to lead the way to create a better society.  Woolly Liberals should stick to their pasting tables (pun) and giving out their socialist worker party drivel in print.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Zulu 22
1 hour ago, Equin0x said:

 

Big problem with the respect for authority aspect is a lot of us feel the authorities aren't treating us fairly. You fine us if we break the covid regs, but you let Dominic Cummings and politicians break them without taking action. If you treat people differently because of their status in society, those who are adversely affected will obviously not have as much respect for you.

Sorry but that is a lame comment. As a child I was told "If I put my hand into a fire would you do the same" If you do not believe that you should obey the laws of the land then, you are part of the problem. It is only for anarchist who believe that they are exempt from the law. It is no wonder that we had a second outbreak as some of that Woke community felt that they knew better than the Scientist's or Medical experts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Equin0x
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave SYP said:

That’s a concept I’ve listened to for decades. ‘One rule for them and another for the rest of us’ doesn’t mean that you should become lawless and a law breaker because a prominent politician wasn’t whipped at the post. Woolly Liberals and activists still need to live by the laws of the land, otherwise if the majority of us felt the same way anarchy would overtake and society would ultimately consist of more feral, lawless and monstrous beings preying on the weak. Who would society have to properly protect the individual then? I digressed. We need law and order and more law-abiding citizens to lead the way to create a better society.  Woolly Liberals should stick to their pasting tables (pun) and giving out their socialist worker party drivel in print.

I agree. But I can see why people would lose respect for the police if you're quick to punish them yet allow politicians to break the same laws. How highly would you respect an oppo who fined a random person for breaking the rules then let his mate break them without so much as a warning?

 

Edited by Equin0x
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Father Jack
24 minutes ago, Equin0x said:

I agree. But I can see why people would lose respect for the police if you're quick to punish them yet allow politicians to break the same laws. How highly would you respect an oppo who fined a random person for breaking the rules then let his mate break them without so much as a warning?

 

Once again you fundamentally misunderstand the Police's role in all of this. At the risk of repeating myself, again. The Police do NOT punish people. That is entirely down to the courts. 🤦

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Police Community is a forum that is supported financially through advertisements. It is a breach of our standard use policy to use Adblock plugins/software on our site. 

In order to continue using our site you will need to disable Adblock across our site. Alternatively you can purchase a membership package from our online store to remove adverts as part of the membership subscription. 

https://police.community/remove-adverts/

Thank you for your support.

I have disabled Adblock