Police aren't usually concerns with violent threats + stones thrown on windows + door bashes?

swindonhopelessness

I'm baffled as to how the person I talked to from Swindon's department apparently didn't think all of those are perfectly fine (refused to even take a report)... do police these days only intervene only if someone is killed?

Indiana Jones

And you thought the best way to resolve the situation was via an Internet forum?

• Like 2
Equin0x

Appreciate there aren't enough resources for everything and there has to be trade offs but it does sometimes feel like the police aren't prioritizing the right things. Nobody can attend a burglarly, but there's plenty of officers available to fine people having coffee with each other in the park seems completely fair 🤔

• Confused 2
BizzieBee
4 hours ago, Equin0x said:

feel like the police aren't prioritizing the right things. Nobody can attend a burglarly, but there's plenty of officers available to fine people having coffee with each other in the park seems completely fair 

Fair point - and agreed, to a point. 

Policing has been in disarray for quite some time. Despite what you’re made to believe, it was well prior to 2010 and before Voldemort herself became Home Secretary. But, Police are guilty of placing all the blame at her door. Unfortunately, home-grown Police officers excel ranks and then start number crunching. Although not impossible, these people aren’t Accountants or Bursars by trade. Neither are the professional jugglers at a travelling fair, but more akin to the latter. 

Chiefs, or as they refer to themselves “Leaders” (of which there are seldom few), put many eggs in the wrong baskets. Sometimes they take away the baskets altogether, or remove a handle. A good example of this ill-conceived, bizarre and downright dangerous display of poor ‘Leadership’ is Roads Policing. This has been decimated over time and has left rotting wood erode further over time. Criminals often travel by road and there are far more vehicles on the road now than there ever has been. Far, far more people killed or seriously injured when compared to other offences. Even violent ones. And exceptionally more than burglaries. Yet, many people (rightly) complain when their vehicles are stolen with no one suitably trained to attend, pursue and bring to a satisfactory resolve whilst minimising risk. Or when a loved one is taken from them because an idiot who has had 10 pints / smoked a joint / put marching powder up their nostrils decides to get behind the wheel. 

I take your point of perception when it comes to burglaries v Covid fines in a park/having a coffee, albeit slightly peeled back to rawest form. Burglaries are always attended if ‘in progress’. In fact, this is one of the only times you’ll see the laziest of police officers quickly don themselves with the uniform they often take off over their heads to purr behind a desk like a maimed station cat, feigning injury to a leg. 

Burglaries were always attended by an officer, even the ones with no suspects on scene and no prospect of any form of investigation. Whilst it’s nice to have and provides some comfort to many, having a police officer turn up to every burglary is actually counter-productive and a waste of resource. Typically, there is no threat, risk, or immediate harm - but I recognise the psychological effects of burglary personally and the need for comfort during that particular time. I don’t think it reasonable to expect an occupier of a premises to undertake their own investigation as this would be wrong. But I would expect common sense to prevail and some nous to check for CCTV, neighbours and provide an idea of entry for any Scenes of Crime attendance. 

Your point on there being enough resource for Covid fines is valid, however. I’m a firm believer in perception being important and, to those not in the know or didn’t understand my point above RE burglary, it can seem this way - especially with a heavy-handed approach to the Covid ‘laws’ (of which there are many, with many variations, loopholes and largely unenforceable). 

BUT... please know the boots on the ground do the best they can with the little they have. They can only be guided and briefed by ‘Leaders’ and the higher they go, the more detached they become from Policing and enter into politics.
The officers you see will most likely be young in service as all the experience has either left or moved to departments where they’re treated like grownups. Or where they aren’t vilified by an unsympathetic and unyielding public who believe everything they read in the bias press looking for an angle to stir the pot and sell wholly inaccurate ‘news’. The same officers let down by ‘Leaders’ too afraid to challenge inaccurate statistics and explain why certain demographics come to Police attention more than others due to their violent, harmful acts. The same officers who have been kept on and worked double shifts in times of crisis and disorder, who won’t see their children or other loved ones for sometimes days. 

The same officers that will run towards you when called, and when others run away. 

Dave SYP
10 hours ago, swindonhopelessness said:

I'm baffled as to how the person I talked to from Swindon's department apparently didn't think all of those are perfectly fine (refused to even take a report)... do police these days only intervene only if someone is killed?

Firstly, welcome to the forum. You seem upset about the service (or lack of) from your local police. We all get frustrated when the service we expect isn’t delivered. You won’t find the answers on here and If you still feel strongly about it I would suggest that you complain in writing to your local force using their website. 

• Like 2
SimonT

In my experience if you reach out to your PCC and complain to them , assuming they receive it (it helps to be rich or important) then you will have police directed to fall over themselves to help you. 

All of the things reported are crimes and have to be recorded if not dealt with. 

XA84

Any advice on a specific area of law is from either currently-serving UK police officers, and is offered to the best of their ability, or from members of the public who are perhaps aspiring to be serving police officers and may not hold the necessary level of knowledge to provide such assistance or by any other member who may offer their opinion. Either way such advice can only be treated as an opinion and nothing more. Members should look for the Verified Members Badge that appears on the posters name as advice from members holding this badge are verified police employees. The information is based on their own individual experiences, expertise and training. It is stressed, however, that if any information or advice found in these forums is used by any person or organisation, then the respective police officer(s) and staff can not and will not take any responsibility for any outcome in any investigation in a criminal or civil enquiry. Any advice or opinion offered is to the best of the individuals knowledge and ability based on the information you have supplied, and we will stress that we will never be knowingly misleading or untruthful in content.

[*]Please note, we do not offer advice or assistance in order to avoid penalties that you have incurred or maybe pending.

[*]Such requests are deemed to be of an Operational nature and against our main Forum Rules.

[*]You should always seek Legal Advice from a Qualified Solicitor in the event of any impending prosecutions or other involved legal matter.

Administration Team Police Community

Reasonable Man

As @BizzieBeesays, policing has been in disarray since long before 2010. I joined in the early 1980s when policing was in disarray, but not as in as much disarray as it was in the more corrupt days of the 1970s and 1960s. 
Here are some ‘rules’ about policing that I have learned - you won’t find these in books: 

everyone knows how to police better than the officer doing the policing;

it was better 10/20/30 years ago - this applies in any era;

people support the police until they are engaged with the police; 

what is happening to me at this time is the most important and urgent thing that the police should be dealing with; 

the police should spend more time dealing with speeding drivers;

the police should spend more time on nuisance youths and not so much time stopping people driving their cars; 

the police should spend more time on ‘real’ crime and not harassing bored teenagers; 

If the offender for my crime is not caught, charged, convicted, given a severe enough sentence then it is the fault of the police;

the police should turn up and resolve my problem within half an hour, even though my problem has been years in the making and at least 50% my fault. 

• Like 5
BlueBob
1 hour ago, Reasonable Man said:

As @BizzieBeesays, policing has been in disarray since long before 2010. I joined in the early 1980s when policing was in disarray, but not as in as much disarray as it was in the more corrupt days of the 1970s and 1960s. 
Here are some ‘rules’ about policing that I have learned - you won’t find these in books: 

everyone knows how to police better than the officer doing the policing;

it was better 10/20/30 years ago - this applies in any era;

people support the police until they are engaged with the police; 

what is happening to me at this time is the most important and urgent thing that the police should be dealing with; 

the police should spend more time on nuisance youths and not so much time stopping people driving their cars; 

the police should spend more time on ‘real’ crime and not harassing bored teenagers; 

If the offender for my crime is not caught, charged, convicted, given a severe enough sentence then it is the fault of the police;

the police should turn up and resolve my problem within half an hour, even though my problem has been years in the making and at least 50% my fault. 

Oh, and of course...

What aren't they out catching burglars, murders and rapists instead of ....

Great list by the way 😂

• Like 1