Daily mail. Police inspector, 49, who used 'unnecessary force' on 'aggressive' machete-wielding 17-year-old in custody and mocked him for crying admits gross misconduct

Member of public 1

Member of public 1

A police inspector who mocked a teenage detainee for crying in a custody block and used unnecessary force to pick him up off the floor has admitted gross misconduct. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9442409/Police-inspector-used-unnecessary-force-17-year-old-admits-gross-misconduct.html

I understand the job must be frustrating for officers at times but the reality is you just can't behave like this. You've got to have a thick skin and not let things get to you and react like this.

• Like 1
Dave SYP
3 minutes ago, Equin0x said:

I understand the job must be frustrating for officers at times but the reality is you just can't behave like this. You've got to have a thick skin and not let things get to you and react like this.

Very true.  As it is reported the Inspector has served 22 years and has indicated that he would be prepared to be reduced in rank if required as a punishment for his misconduct. We shall have to see what happens.

SimonT

The long term effects of policing on mental health is known and often spoken of by command in thrilling podcasts and v logs. 

But if you show those same emotional cracks, it's off to discipline city. 

It's not right or acceptable but we are either damaged individuals giving up a portion of our sanity for the good of the public, or emotionless and flawless automata, naturally they want both.

Edited by SimonT
  • Like 1
Zulu 22
On 07/04/2021 at 10:19, Equin0x said:

It is called human nature and very rarely our emotions let us down. Thankfully we have more control than 99.99% of the public. It would appear that the 17 year old had a different nature without a machete in his hand.  Having said that the Inspector should have shown more control.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

It is called human nature and very rarely our emotions let us down. Thankfully we have more control than 99.99% of the public. It would appear that the 17 year old had a different nature without a machete in his hand.  Having said that the Inspector should have shown more control.

Yeah absolutely, not defending the lad. Criminals will sometimes try and get a rise out of you, whether to try and help their own case, or simply to be spiteful. Appreciate it must be quite difficult staying professional at times but you've got to find a way to, otherwise you're going to have problems in the job.

Edited by Equin0x
Dave SYP
2 hours ago, Equin0x said:

Yeah absolutely, not defending the lad. Criminals will sometimes try and get a rise out of you, whether to try and help their own case, or simply to be spiteful. Appreciate it must be quite difficult staying professional at times but you've got to find a way to, otherwise you're going to have problems in the job.

And the Inspector undoubtedly knows this. However, it seems the Inspector has admitted responsibility and has agreed to sanctions, so I would see this as well on the road to a disciplinary conclusion.  I feel sorry for all concerned, not least of all the other officers present at the time, who’s recollection evidence will have been sought. 

• Like 1