Ether
6 hours ago, BlueBob said:

You know what I mean, the odd belt, cuff pouches but the likes of the fundamental uniform etc that is issued by each particular force is the key element.  Not being sensitive at all.  

I agree, to a degree. 

So long as it doesn’t change the overall image and is similar it’s fine. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wilts20

• Equin0x

• Zulu 22

• Father Jack

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it is forgotten that we are not the moral guardians of society. Each citizen has the obligation to speak out against injustice and take action where they see discrimination or ignorance. Too m

@Wilts20 + I think the problem of working in a  “smart” uniform started in about 94 or 95 give or take when the first iteration of body armour/ black wick shirts came in, just prior to that i was wear

I remember when I did my training up at Tulliallan Castle, a residential course, we had to keep our rooms tidy and were regularly inspected and received DCs (developing competency) if we had more than

Zulu 22
3 hours ago, Equin0x said:

I would have no problem enforcing rules I don't agree with most of the time. But the covid rules feel like a step too far. Previous generations sacrificies so much to defend our liberties and we've let them be completely bulldozed by emergency legislation that in my view has insufficient safeguards. I'd like to serve my community, but to me that can't mean punishing them for having a coffee. So best I give it a miss until the pandemic is over 😁

Sacrifices were made for our Freedom and there was a miriad of emergency regulations during  the 2nd World War.  Blackouts were enforced, curfews were enforced, there were hundreds of Regulations and you could end up in prison for many infringements. People were conscripted to the armed forces, coal mines, women manned the factories and farms. The 2nd World war lasted for 6 years including the Far East and many gave their lives and many did not see their families for years.  This pandemic bears no resemblance to those times.

Father Jack
4 hours ago, Equin0x said:

I'd like to serve my community, but to me that can't mean punishing them for having a coffee. So best I give it a miss until the pandemic is over 😁

A common misconception amongst the unenlightened, but the police do not punish people. The role of the police is to detect and investigate crime. Broadly speaking, If there's suspicion of an offence, it is investigated. If proven it is passed to the CPS and ultimately ends up in court. It is for the court to determine any punishment (or not) if they so deem. 

• Like 3
Zulu 22

The main purpose of the Police is the Protection of life and Property, They protect life, in the present circumstances,  by enforcing the safety regulations. They are protecting the majority against the selfish behaviour of the few.

• Like 2
Dave SYP
16 hours ago, Wilts20 said:

Why is that DaveSYP? Was it an actual sort of policy thing, or was it more the motorisation and better communication that made it more reactive than proactive?

Yes it was the motorisation and improved communication. I think rather than just policy, it evolved like everything else fast changing at the time. Public perception has a lot to do with image, as does old-fashioned expectations.

• 1 month later...
notapoliceforum

Just by reading some of the comments, here quite a few old dinosaurs, I can see why the public don't respect the police, it isn't about image, it is about trust, not employing thugs, and egotists. That guy Rob isn't wrong about the police. I see it by reading some of the posts on here, snidy, sneering, inflated.

Concerning the oldest service in the UK, perhaps on the two hundredth anniversary it can be questioned whether it should remain as is, or change radically to be more in touch with the people it is suppose to serve. Like that will ever happen.

• Confused 2
SD
8 hours ago, needswarrant said:

Just by reading some of the comments, here quite a few old dinosaurs, I can see why the public don't respect the police, it isn't about image, it is about trust, not employing thugs, and egotists. That guy Rob isn't wrong about the police. I see it by reading some of the posts on here, snidy, sneering, inflated.

Concerning the oldest service in the UK, perhaps on the two hundredth anniversary it can be questioned whether it should remain as is, or change radically to be more in touch with the people it is suppose to serve. Like that will ever happen.

The public do trust the police, loll after poll says so.

As for changes, what would you like to see change? Barring in mind you shown repeatedly that you've no idea what we actually do.

• Like 2
Richhamdo
On 20/03/2021 at 20:28, Wilts20 said:

Yes indeed, but how do you change that? Uniforms is simple I suppose, just get a grip of the scruffy individuals and provide smart uniforms. But the rest is an attitude problem... tricky. 

@Wilts20 + I think the problem of working in a  “smart” uniform started in about 94 or 95 give or take when the first iteration of body armour/ black wick shirts came in, just prior to that i was wearing a white shirt, tie and N.A.T.O. Type pullover/black rain coat  and that was pretty much it. I might have had that first heavy version of armour as well at that time as [the one that was easy to put on/off], i just cant recall. When i think back every one had a pride in keeping as smart as they reasonably could before the wick shirts and armour came in, afterwards  i think they just gave up and were exasperated trying to look tidy.

I am not saying the black shirts/fleece jackets weren't practical for the use to which they were being put you understand but they just weren't of the highest quality.

Someone told me this so it is apocryphal, but when we were issued the  wick shirts they supposedly cost thirty seven pence each. Not sure how much the Van Heusen proper shirts were but I’ll bet they were a pretty penny. I had quite a few of them over the years and that was just working as a special. The collars eventually got scruffy and were harder to maintain than the black things that replaced them but as i say the wicking shirts were better on a red hot day.

The cargo type trouser when they came in didn’t help with the smart effect much either, but again they are/were more practical when running through muddy fields or helping to keep order on friday/sat night. As you probably know the wool type trouser [with crease] were expensive, thats if you could get them from the guys at the clothing store and again in what could occasionally be the hurly burly of police use a bit of a pain to keep clean and tidy. The amount of times  i had mine to the local dry cleaners on monday morning was nobody’s business, i didn’t always get a cleaning chitty from HQ  either. If it was just mud it wasnt so bad,it brushed off when dry, not so with other things. I still kept a pair for “best”  and a pair for general patrol, every one did, i guess people still do. 

I may have mentioned this before in another similar  post years ago but i was in the specials quite a few years before and after this uniform transition and also the one from tunic jacket to pullover and i didn't notice any difference in the public attitude/perception  to it all. At the start I noticed a few funny looks when we went to someones house to sort something out maybe, but it only lasted a minute or so  and then they just accepted that “it is what it is” so to speak.  As someone on here said previously its all about body language and initial approach and how you try sort things etc that counts.

I could go on about it and also about joining the specials etc but i will leave it at that. I am retired now just to be clear but i was always ready, willing, and able to adapt to changes as the years went by, actually i had no other choice 😄. Rich.

• Like 3