Los Angeles Co. Sheriff Deputies shot in 'ambush' (BBC)

1 hour ago, SimonT said:

When you say, most of the people gunned down by the police were criminals. A key point is Most.

Yes, true.

That's not good enough. Police only sometimes shooting dead innocent people. 

Its also not OK to go gunning down criminals. If the threat is there, fine, if not, then that's a crime. 

We are supposed to treat people impartially, despite what the tabloids want. There is a heavy weight of evidence to demonstrate serious prejudice. 

I don't know ... if you do absolutely nothing wrong, I reckon in the US you are still very unlikely to be killed by a lawman - and if you have committed an offence, then yes, not brilliant, but so be it - don't break the law.

Look back to a few months ago, one weekend in Chicago, IL was about one hundred people shot - all public/crooks shooting eachother - not by lawmen.

Impartiality is great, but if you doing wrong and suffer, you should not receive any compassion, you gave up that right when you sinned against society. 

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wilts20

• Zulu 22

• SimonT

• skydiver

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of those two officers has sadly now died.  The shooting barely made the news in the UK so most of the info I have seen about it came from Facebook and Twitter.  Some of the comments on Twitter wer

Simon I agree with a lot of what you said but its still sad that the murder and attempted murder of two officers merits such little coverage.

Zulu 22
15 hours ago, Wilts20 said:

No, sadly, I disagree, look at the history of police officers, home and away and they've always been attacked and even killed, thankfully fairly rarely in this nation. At night, cutlasses and revolvers were sometimes issued. Look at the officer assaults, they are going up. We must accept the problem, to deal with it. 

They are not fair game in our eyes (decent law-abiding folk!) but in the eyes of the great unwashed, they are and this has devastating results.

Do not misunderstand me, I think it is terrible, but it is happening -  so how do we stop it?

Back to topic - USA this year line of duty deaths: https://www.odmp.org/search/year/2020 

(COVID19 - 104 deaths, GUNFIRE - 34)

Obviously never a serving officer.  Even within the Great Unwashed, as you put it there are people who support the Police.  In all walks of life you will find people who do not like the Police as they stand between them and anarchy. Cutlasses, what planet and time are you living in. 

America is a completely different entity as by their constitution they have the right to bear arms. As soon as that comes into the equation any conflict when a firearm is produced has the ability to turn fatal. If officers have acted correctly they have nothing to fear from the law.

They like to quote cases, as did Louis Hamilton of Breonna Taylor. In that case she was in bed with her boyfriend. Sheriffs executed a search warrant announcing their presence. As they entered the bedroom her boyfriend responded by shooting at the Sheriffs seriously injuring the first officer. The other officers responded and both the Boyfriend and Taylor were shot dead. I was wondering what other outcome could be expected. Perhaps they should have waited until they were all been injured before they responded with gunfire.  It is almost impossible to shoot someone without the possibility of it becoming a fatality.

Edited by Zulu 22

Any concrete news of the shooter yet? 

Terrible scenes at the hospital, awful language being shouted at the deputies etc. 

Perhaps just a taster with what is to come?

https://www.latimes.com/story/2020-09-15/been-shot-in-the-head-deputies-struggle-to-survive-after-compton-attack

Manhunt is on, hope they find him.

Edited by Wilts20
13 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

Obviously never a serving officer.  Even within the Great Unwashed, as you put it there are people who support the Police.  In all walks of life you will find people who do not like the Police as they stand between them and anarchy. Cutlasses, what planet and time are you living in. 

America is a completely different entity as by their constitution they have the right to bear arms. As soon as that comes into the equation any conflict when a firearm is produced has the ability to turn fatal. If officers have acted correctly they have nothing to fear from the law.

They like to quote cases, as did Louis Hamilton of Breonna Taylor. In that case she was in bed with her boyfriend. Sheriffs executed a search warrant announcing their presence. As they entered the bedroom her boyfriend responded by shooting at the Sheriffs seriously injuring the first officer. The other officers responded and both the Boyfriend and Taylor were shot dead. I was wondering what other outcome could be expected. Perhaps they should have waited until they were all been injured before they responded with gunfire.  It is almost impossible to shoot someone without the possibility of it becoming a fatality.

Yes yes, but you’re deviating from my point - people who don’t support the lawmen in the US attack them, as they do here. 

My point about cutlasses and revolvers is going back to 19thC is to illustrate that this is not a new problem. 

I don’t think it will ever change - if you enforce society’s rules, certain elements will always resist and sometimes with violence!

Just hope the deputies pull through.