High Level Brake Lights

Pee Jay

Hi - I am hoping for some definitive answers around high level brake light.

Context - I have a convertible which is fitted as standard with a high level brake light and plan to fit a boot rack. Once loaded the luggage is likely to obscure the high level brake light. The rack does come with an integrated high level brake light (but a problem connecting it)

1) Is having the high level brake light obscured an issue (if I dont connect the rack light)?

2) Can I have multiple high level brake lights (i.e. the OEM one fitted to the vehicle and the one integrated in the rack if I connect it)?

3) Can I just disconnect the OEM light and not connect the one in the rack (I understand if not connected it is not an MOT failure)?

Also - I plan to drive on the continent so what is the situation within the EU?

Thanks v much

BlueBob

Hey are optional.  If fitted they must work but nothing about being obscured.  Why worry about an mot as you can remove the rack!

but, think about why they are fitted in the first place.  Why not place a modicum of effort and get the rack one to work

Pee Jay

Thanks BlueBob - for various reasons wiring up the rack will be difficult and possibly mean drilling boot lid which I dont want to do all for the sack of the few times the rack will have luggage. The rack will be a permanent fit so not that practical remove for MOT each year.

So you reckon I can fit the rack but not connect it up and that is OK - or does this run foul of the 'if fitted must work'?

And you think ok with zealous French traffic police?

As an aside there are a lot of luggage racks on the market that dont have an integrated brake light so it is probably ok but I'd like to be sure.

Chief Cheetah

Any advice on a specific area of law is from either currently-serving UK police officers, and is offered to the best of their ability, or from members of the public who are perhaps aspiring to be serving police officers and may not hold the necessary level of knowledge to provide such assistance or by any other member who may offer their opinion. Either way such advice can only be treated as an opinion and nothing more. Members should look for the Verified Members Badge that appears on the posters name as advice from members holding this badge are verified police employees. The information is based on their own individual experiences, expertise and training. It is stressed, however, that if any information or advice found in these forums is used by any person or organisation, then the respective police officer(s) and staff can not and will not take any responsibility for any outcome in any investigation in a criminal or civil enquiry. Any advice or opinion offered is to the best of the individuals knowledge and ability based on the information you have supplied, and we will stress that we will never be knowingly misleading or untruthful in content.

[*]Please note, we do not offer advice or assistance in order to avoid penalties that you have incurred or maybe pending.

[*]Such requests are deemed to be of an Operational nature and against our main Forum Rules.

[*]You should always seek Legal Advice from a Qualified Solicitor in the event of any impending prosecutions or other involved legal matter.

Administration Team Police Community

BlueBob
10 hours ago, Pee Jay said:

Thanks BlueBob - for various reasons wiring up the rack will be difficult and possibly mean drilling boot lid which I dont want to do all for the sack of the few times the rack will have luggage. The rack will be a permanent fit so not that practical remove for MOT each year.

So you reckon I can fit the rack but not connect it up and that is OK - or does this run foul of the 'if fitted must work'?

And you think ok with zealous French traffic police?

As an aside there are a lot of luggage racks on the market that dont have an integrated brake light so it is probably ok but I'd like to be sure.

Ah, you know the answer when you join up “the French” and Uk vehicles!!!!  
still confused that the rack,is permanently fitted but it can’t have a single,permanent/ semi-permanent cable to,it, remembering most cables can be jammed in a boot lid when it’s closed.  
you’re asking for a yes/ no answer on a vague scenario - sorry, but you’ll have to make that decision, and as it’s a permanent fixing, you need to invest the time in either researching and understanding the lighting regs and or seek DVSA advice.

Sierra Lima

I checked the French regs, it says that MV should be equipped with 2 or 3 brake lights and that they should come on when brakes are applied. If defective you are liable to a fine. 

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCodeArticle.do?cidTexte=LEGITEXT000006074228&idArticle=LEGIARTI000032401299

It looks like if it is fitted it must work (like here). I don't think cops would bother with that anyway. Unless you really fail the attitude test. Fine is 41€ if paid straight away. 

SL