Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pearcejackson

Anyone gearing up for 2020 Ospre/NPPF?

pearcejackson

It’s almost that time of year boys and girls; to register interest for next years exam and was wondering if anyone is doing it? I’ve never sat it before but think it’s about time I get going on it..

skydiver

I took it last March and used Police Pass books and online MCQ as well as their tutorials.  I followed their 12 week revision plan and worked very hard on revising and ended up with 71% on exam day.   I was really surprised with my result, not because I didn't work hard, but because it was almost impossible to tell how I had done during the exam as there were no easy questions. I think one of the most notorious ones which garnered loads of attention on FB was the one about Bill lending Tom his rocket launcher on  Wednesday, with Tom then shooting it at a neighbour's house on Friday which dislodged a brick hitting an inhabitant causing GBH injuries.  I'm sure the question was about the chain of causality but you wouldn't guess that from the scenario.  

One advantage of using Blackstones or Paul Connor's study material is that he writes some of the exam questions and therefore you get used to the way  that his questions are written whereas the Police Pass ones sound different even though they are very good and taxing.

Give yourself plenty of time for  revision whichever books you use and build extra time into your timetable as I'm sure work will  affect your timetable.

pearcejackson
Author of the topic Posted

Thanks for the reply.  i'm concentrating on the 2020 Blackstone's and online Blackstone's MCQ's.  I've also bought the 2020 crammer audio downloads which I do help.

sierrafoxtrott

Hi both - I’m sitting the exam in March ‘20 too. I’ve been using the 2020 Blackstone’s books and the Blackstone’s MCQ’s to reinforce my learning (basically testing if I am actually taking in what I am reading 😂). 

I was wondering if anyone could shed any further light on the MCQ’s Blackstone’s sell to you before the exam. I seem to be getting reasonably good scores (above 55% pass rate at least)... is this giving me false hope that I am doing okay but in fact the real exam questions will be much harder, or am I expected to be on track if I am coping well with the Blackstone’s MCQ’s online??

Thanks in advance!

skydiver

Hi SF.

I've never used the Blackstones so I can't comment beyond what I have already posted other to say that at the moment whichever ones you are using should be used to as a knowledge check at the moment i.e. don't do mock exams until much closer to the exam.  At some point you'll need to get used to having 67 seconds to read and answer the question but at the moment you need to make sure that the knowledge is sinking in.

Good luck.

sierrafoxtrott
4 hours ago, skydiver said:

Hi SF.

I've never used the Blackstones so I can't comment beyond what I have already posted other to say that at the moment whichever ones you are using should be used to as a knowledge check at the moment i.e. don't do mock exams until much closer to the exam.  At some point you'll need to get used to having 67 seconds to read and answer the question but at the moment you need to make sure that the knowledge is sinking in.

Good luck.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The Blackstone’s online MCQ programme also has the option to undertake a mock exam. At present it appears the MCQs they offer based on each topic are pretty much what to expect in the mock exam and exam itself. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with using the Blackstone’s MCQ’s to see how they relate to the actual exam. 

Were the questions you practiced with much different to what you actually experienced in the final exam?

skydiver
4 minutes ago, sierrafoxtrott said:

Were the questions you practiced with much different to what you actually experienced in the final exam?

The ones I used were completely different in tone, so much so it was as if the exam questions were a different language, although they couldn't have been that incomprehensible as I got 71%.  BTW I used Policepass and having seen the Blackstones books I'd say that the Police Pass books are a lot more focused and to the point than they are.  Paul Connor who writes the Blackstones books does however contribute some  questions to the exam so using his MCQs might prepare you a bit better for the tone of the exam questions.

sierrafoxtrott

Thanks @skydiver + for the advice, much appreciated 😊