Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nearly there1

Fireman’s key

Nearly there1

Does anyone have any recommendations on firemen’s keys to gain access to secure entry doors in a common close ie what’s the best choice 

Sceptre

The sort your local authority uses. No point spending a load of money on keys for locks you won't find in your area.

Nearly there1
Author of the topic Posted

Yeah local authorities type ones, I was just looking to see if anyone can recommend a company that sell good quality made ones

SD

Wouldn’t bother. Fire brigade drop keys however...

Nearly there1
Author of the topic Posted

Can you recommend a specific drop key

Murtaugh

This is something that I have never considered. When I have done warrants/visits I've relied on a helpful neighbour letting me in.

Definitely can see the plus side, get in before the mark gets wind that we're there.

I have just ordered a drop key. I remember seeing them on the older blocks of flats growing up but are they still common and used on modern flats? When you use a drop key does it reset itself or do you have to switch it back after use?

I have also seen people advertising Fire Brigade Keys, a bunch of mortice and padlock keys, do you come across these locks often?

Vicar

I bought one after seeing a hand close an upstairs flat window, but by the time we got in they wouldn't answer and the flat appeared empty.

The bosses decided against putting the door in as the hand may not have been the person we were after, so had to leave and come back.

The drop key is a bit of a fiddle to use but when you get the wiggle right, the buzzer sounds and the door opens.  There is no resetting it, it's just as if someone has buzzed you in. 

IrrationalPi
On 22/10/2019 at 21:06, SD said:

They’re all the same, they give you access to blocks of flats which is handy for early morning lock ups:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IOOEFQ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5H1RDb01TDHDW

Yep, that looks like the one I've seen in use recently. Twice in one shift actually, quite useful for sneaking up on people :)

Murtaugh

I have never worked with anyone who had a drop key. I recently picked up a drop key and had the opportunity to try it out this morning. We were able to get it very quickly, it's an excellent piece of kit. I don't know how I have managed this far without it. My team were impressed with the key and I think a few of them will be getting one.

Fire Brigade Drop Key

Murtaugh

When I was looking up drop keys I come across fire brigade padlock keys. Has anyone used these fb padlock keys? Are they worth getting?

Klaus
9 hours ago, Murtaugh said:

When I was looking up drop keys I come across fire brigade padlock keys. Has anyone used these fb padlock keys? Are they worth getting?

I carried a full set for several years and only used them once. Not nearly as common as the drop key for the sort of doors we need to go through

Jack1997

How common are the drop key access points on buildings? I’ve recently bought one with the drop key and the triangular key on the other side however I’ve onlt come across one block of flats with fire access!

Murtaugh
10 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

How common are the drop key access points on buildings? I’ve recently bought one with the drop key and the triangular key on the other side however I’ve onlt come across one block of flats with fire access!

I received my drop key on Tuesday afternoon, the first time I had to go to a block of flats was early Thursday morning and it had one.

I wasn't looking out for them when I went to blocks of flats, so I didn't see them but now I have a key I will be looking out for them.