Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

KayP

Hi all

I am due to start my training as a Special Constable for my local force in the next 6-8 weeks. I have been thinking about how I may be perceived given my views on being a career Special.

I have always wanted to join the police since my early teens, and applied as soon as I turned 18. I applied as a PC with many different forced throughout the UK, including the Met, BTP, all the Welsh forces etc, however, I was always unsuccessful at the vetting stage due to family history (none of which I have any contact with). This process lasted for around 4 years until I reached age 22. I then felt that I wasn't getting anywhere, and started to focus on another career in financial services.

I am now 29 with a very good job working for a global financial services organisation, of which, being rewarded very well, especially for my age. 

I have left it 7 years since last applying, but had applied as a Special in July and have now been given an offer! I am absolutely delighted and cant wait. 

Throughout the recruitment process, I was always being asked whether my ambition was to join as a regular, especially as there is a recruitment drive on at the moment. Although it would be an absolute dream to join as a regular, it would be impossible for me to continue my current lifestyle as I would be taking a pay cut of around £45k. 

I have had a long conversation with my wife and weighed it up financially, however, it would result in me having to sell our home, change our family plans etc which really isn't feasible. However, I am so keen to start as a Special and would want to continue that with no ambition to join as a regular. My genuine reason for joining is to actually give something back, get involved in making a difference. My Employer has an ESP (employee supported policing) scheme which allows me paid time off work to complete training and special duties. So basically, I am having my cake and eating it so to speak.  

My main concern, is that during training, as well as once I've been posted after training, could this come across as derogatory and maybe somewhat insulting?

Usually, as soon as I say what I do and who I work for, a lot of judgements and assumptions are made which are totally incorrect.

When being asked already, I try to be a politician about it and dodge the question or not really answer it. 

The last thing I would want to do is offend anyone but this is what I am worried about. I know it is probably down to how it is explained and to be mindful with my words, but any tips would be gratefully received!!

Thanks all :)

PS - I cannot wait to start!!!

Edited by KayP

Zulu 22

Don't worry about offending anyone. It is them who would be offending you, probably through envy and bloody mindedness. Some Specials are a waste of time but there are some who are very Special indeed, be one of them and enjoy your service.

Hoofing

I’d commend you for joining as a special. There’s no way in hell I’d take that much of a pay cut to join full time; although I do know people who’ve done it!! There is a special where I work who is well off and drives an Aston Martin to and from work but he gets stuck in just like the rest and is liked. You’ll be judged on your work ethic and attitude as opposed to what you do for a living. 

Beaker

Don't worry about it.  Even when I started 3 years back there was still an expectation around that anyone that joined as a special was going on to the regs.  Up here that has changed, and there is an expectation that while many will join up, you need a core group of career specials to keep things running smoothly. 

You'll get some people who are puzzles why you won't join the regs, but for the most part you'll be fine. 

Buck

Reiterating and agreeing with everything said above. There will be no ill will at all at you wanting to be a career Special, we are needed to keep the place actually running as @Beaker says. "Wannabe Regs" tend to stay around for no longer than 2 years (usually much less) so don't add a lot of value. They are there to learn and become a Reg, which is absolutely fine and then add value later on. Any grief you do get tends to be misplaced and misinformed. Get stuck in, and you'll get on fine 👍

Oldhand

Completely agree. Made it clear from the start thats what I was doing 24 years ago when I started. Never had a bad word said about it. 

Londonbased

There are lots of specials who don’t want to join the regulars because their day job pays so well. It’s never caused anybody any problems as far as I know. Some even own their own companies.