Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Stephen Maize

leniency on sentences

RISK OF CLOSURE

Stephen Maize

U

7 hours ago, Sceptre said:

A screwdriver is not prohibited under points and blades legislation, R v Davis 1998. Of course there will be other offences if it's an intended offensive weapon or an article for use in any burglary, theft, TWOC, damage, fraud etc. 

That is correct. Thanks, 

Sceptre.

Stephen Maize
Posted (edited)

It is important for people to educate themselves.

knowledge is power

Edited by Stephen Maize

Ether
6 hours ago, Stephen Maize said:

It is important for people to educate themselves.

knowledge is power

Knowledge is very powerful, but not when you only read the bit you like, then a little knowledge is just dangerous. It’s important to have the full understanding 

You recently made a post apologising and yet you are back arguing a similar point. You simply cannot carry weapons around. 

You are right sentences are variable, more often than not way to lenient and therefore utterly pointless as they serve to be no deterrent from reoffending. 

Member Achievements

Stephen Maize
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Ether said:

Knowledge is very powerful, but not when you only read the bit you like, then a little knowledge is just dangerous. It’s important to have the full understanding 

You recently made a post apologising and yet you are back arguing a similar point. You simply cannot carry weapons around. 

You are right sentences are variable, more often than not way to lenient and therefore utterly pointless as they serve to be no deterrent from reoffending. 

Sometimes sentences are way to lenient. That is correct. You simply cannot carry weapons around even for self defence, but it is up to the judge and If I carried a weapon habitually or even once a month just in case, I would fully expect to be given a 5 year prison sentence. 

If a carried a weapon for a short time, I probably be given a suspended sentence for a first offence. If I did it again, that same judge would probably be very unhappy with me and send me prison and I would deserve it.

if the judge found out that I carried it daily or even once a month, I would probably be given a five year prison sentence. I have no sympathy for habitual carrying.

It is not okay to carry it.

Thank you,Ether.

Edited by Stephen Maize

Ether
13 hours ago, Stephen Maize said:

Sometimes sentences are way to lenient. That is correct. You simply cannot carry weapons around even for self defence, but it is up to the judge and If I carried a weapon habitually or even once a month just in case, I would fully expect to be given a 5 year prison sentence. 

If a carried a weapon for a short time, I probably be given a suspended sentence for a first offence. If I did it again, that same judge would probably be very unhappy with me and send me prison and I would deserve it.

if the judge found out that I carried it daily or even once a month, I would probably be given a five year prison sentence. I have no sympathy for habitual carrying.

It is not okay to carry it.

Thank you,Ether.

I think you are to try and normalise and generalise what a court will do, it simply isn’t that reliable at court. Every cop has seen investigations that should be a guaranteed jail term and people have walked free and occasionally someone gets way more than we ever thought. 

Length of time you carry a weapon doesn’t change the offence.  

Member Achievements

Stephen Maize
On 03/10/2019 at 15:41, Ether said:

Length of time you carry a weapon doesn’t change the offence.

I agree. A British guy said I talked to a day ago told me it would depend on individual circumstances and one judge on the first offence may give me a suspended sentence and another judge would give me imprisonment. He said it can even vary from county to county and even within the same county.

Ether
19 hours ago, Stephen Maize said:

I agree. A British guy said I talked to a day ago told me it would depend on individual circumstances and one judge on the first offence may give me a suspended sentence and another judge would give me imprisonment. He said it can even vary from county to county and even within the same county.

But any sentence in court is largely irrelevant, it’s still a conviction and therefore still a crime. 

Member Achievements

Stephen Maize
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Ether said:

But any sentence in court is largely irrelevant, it’s still a conviction and therefore still a crime. 

That is why I won’t get an acquittal from the judge.

but the variation within a county was surprising on which sentence I receive.

But a person who is scared doesn’t think about the consequences.

The variation should be discouraging to anyone. This would discourage me even more from carrying considering the variation of the sentence within the same county. I may get a sympathetic judge and I may not.

The variation within the county blows my mind.

Just like Forest Gump said: life is a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.

Thank you again,Ether.

This is a learning experience.

Edited by Stephen Maize

Stephen Maize

Non violence is so important to the British mentality. I find it fascinating. Thank you for helping me with this.

BlueBob
2 hours ago, Stephen Maize said:

Non violence is so important to the British mentality. I find it fascinating. Thank you for helping me with this.

Okay I’ll say it. Surely the fascinating idea is that the US ( appreciating its a stereotypical phrase but I think suits the op view) seem see the feudal use of violence is acceptable and almost compulsory.   That’s truly fascinating.  

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Stephen Maize
29 minutes ago, BlueBob said:

Okay I’ll say it. Surely the fascinating idea is that the US ( appreciating its a stereotypical phrase but I think suits the op view) seem see the feudal use of violence is acceptable and almost compulsory.   That’s truly fascinating.  

It does seem Violence is acceptable. In the uk, you have unarmed police and citizens, society works for the British people. You can ask the friendly bobby for directions and not feel scared. You can walk down the street without fear that someone might have a gun or weapon. Britian truly is a peaceful society and freer. What the British have gained is freedom and a gift.

Zulu 22
1 hour ago, Stephen Maize said:

It does seem Violence is acceptable. In the uk, you have unarmed police and citizens, society works for the British people. You can ask the friendly bobby for directions and not feel scared. You can walk down the street without fear that someone might have a gun or weapon. Britian truly is a peaceful society and freer. What the British have gained is freedom and a gift.

When in the USA or any other country you comply with their laws and are subject to their Judicial system, full stop. If you do not like that then do not visit.  The same in this country, you abide by the law and you accept the decisions of the Judicial system. This means that any Court can impose any sentence it is permitted to give within the legal guide lines. That also gives a Court the discretion on sentencing having heard the evidence and any mitigation put forward on their behalf. The only exception to this is a conviction for Murder which carries a mandatory Life Sentence. On that case the Judge will make a recommendation, based on the facts, to the recommended length of that life sentence, from 10 years top a full life term.

I do sometimes wonder why you have to ask the obvious.

Edited by Zulu 22
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

Stephen Maize
1 hour ago, Zulu 22 said:

When in the USA or any other country you comply with their laws and are subject to their Judicial system, full stop. If you do not like that then do not visit.  The same in this country, you abide by the law and you accept the decisions of the Judicial system. This means that any Court can impose any sentence it is permitted to give within the legal guide lines. That also gives a Court the discretion on sentencing having heard the evidence and any mitigation put forward on their behalf. The only exception to this is a conviction for Murder which carries a mandatory Life Sentence. On that case the Judge will make a recommendation, based on the facts, to the recommended length of that life sentence, from 10 years top a full life term.

To clarify 

• Confused 1

BlueBob
7 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

Isn't the obvious, well, obvious.  It like watching US sitcoms and UK ones.  The US ones always need that extra dialogue to explain the situation.

• Like 2

Member Achievements

Stephen Maize

It took time for me to come around to the uk view on weapons and carrying for self defence.  If It wasn’t for my open mind and my research, I would have never changed my mind. We all make mistake, we are only human. This forum has helped me find understanding and find my foot.

I still believe that in general as long as the vast majority of the population (that are not part of a gang) are not carrying weapons in self defence, a suspended sentence is usually the outcome on the first offence. I’m actually very happy which this arrangement. This means most people don’t worry about if someone is armed or not.

Education on topic on this has made me come around. I’m very grateful for these people on this forum for educating me. To become more knowledgeable.

Thank you.

Edited by Stephen Maize
  • Confused 1

This thread is at 'Risk of Closure' - A member of the Police Community Team has identified content in this thread that may lead to it being closed without any further notice. If you are involved in any trolling or other behaviour that is against the forum rules then please refrain otherwise sanctions will be issued against any members that continue to breach any of these standards.