Relax as force writes a new chapter to end Tattoo-gate

Fedster

Officers allowed 'open displays' of ancient art in rule U-turn.

No offence: Arm tattoos that are

No offence: Arm tattoos that are "not offensive" are now permitted

Date - 23rd August 2019
By - Nick Hudson - Police Oracle
1 Comment1 Comment}

Officers will be able to “write it large” when it comes to displaying tattoos in future.

Rank and file were today celebrating the reversal of a "bizarre and unfair" policy.

West Yorkshire Police Federation said after 18 months of lobbying, the group has helped ease a rule that officers had to cover up tattooed arms.

The policy had stated only "small, inoffensive and non-prominent" inking on necks and hands were permitted.

But the federation revealed on Friday that after more than a year of hard campaigning, West Yorkshire Police have relaxed the rule, meaning arm tattoos can now be shown provided they are not offensive.

West Yorkshire Police Federation general secretary Guy King said: "It has taken some considerable time and effort but the force has agreed to change the policy on tattoos.

"They have listened to the case and, from today, West Yorkshire Police officers can now openly show their tattoos.

"The decision to change the policy comes after continued pressure from the federation over the last 18 months and we have long argued that the policy was bizarre and unfair, as small and non-prominent tattoos on the hands and neck were allowed to be shown but all others must be covered."

The federation said a survey conducted last year indicated 55 per cent of 1,182 officers interviewed had a tattoo of some sort, with more than four out of five of respondents saying they felt colleagues should be allowed to show off inoffensive arm tattoos while working.

Last year, the Met Police scrapped rules preventing new recruits from having body art.

Commissioner Cressida Dick said at the time the move "brings the Met into line with other services", adding: "Many young people are ruling themselves out of joining us because of their tattoos."

https://www.policeoracle.com/news/Tattoo-rules-eased-to-modernise-force_99118.html

In October, Lincolnshire relaxed its policy to allow officers to be “more representative” of the communities they serve.

Previously, anyone with face, neck or hand tattoos would have been barred from Lincolnshire Police.

Mr King said of the change in West Yorkshire: "It brings us in line with what is widely accepted within society at large and reflects the modern, diverse work force we have."

A West Yorkshire Police spokesman said the policy had been relaxed "to allow officers and staff to display arm tattoos when wearing short sleeves".

The force added: "There may be occasions when either West Yorkshire Police or the individual themselves deem it necessary to cover tattoos.

“But given that they are commonplace in society, we wouldn't want a tattoo in itself to deter individuals who may wish to join West Yorkshire Police and make a valuable contribution to our communitie

View On Police Oracle

A very retrograde step. Nothing like sending out the wrong messages.

• Confused 1

• Management

What message is that?  That the public are the police and the police are the public or is it that all police with tattoo's are violent thugs who have no respect?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chief Cheetah said:

What message is that?  That the public are the police and the police are the public or is it that all police with tattoo's are violent thugs who have no respect?

It was better when all coppers were over 5'10", didn't have tattoos and could beat a confession out of people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Beaker said:

It was better when all coppers were over 5'10", didn't have tattoos and could beat a confession out of people.

Are you speaking from experience or, just trying to insult and upset retired officers. My father served during the times you seem to allude to and he did not recognise that description. He always stated that any violence used should only be the reasonable force to effect the arrest. Once the person was arrested there was no cause for any violence or retribution of any kind. Trying to beat a confession out of someone usually brought a CRO number followed by a P45.

43 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

Are you speaking from experience or, just trying to insult and upset retired officers. My father served during the times you seem to allude to and he did not recognise that description. He always stated that any violence used should only be the reasonable force to effect the arrest. Once the person was arrested there was no cause for any violence or retribution of any kind. Trying to beat a confession out of someone usually brought a CRO number followed by a P45.

I think you mistake sarcasm referencing your Golden Age Fallacy for serious discussion.  I also had family working during that period.  Stop being a snowflake.

My point is that most tattoos don't make you less able to be a police officer.  Ex-Squaddies and Sailors will almost certainly have some ink, yet they're considered by many to be perfect for the police.  As long as you don't have something inappropriate then there is no reason to stop people having them.  I've got ink on my upper arm, my wife works for a multi-national bluechip company working on small projects like the new Everton Stadium, HS2 and various others.  Would not having ink make us better at our jobs?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think Zulu posts deliberately provocative comments so people will respond and he can then play hurt

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• Global Moderators

All, could we please avoid calling each other names? It is most unbecoming! :)

For what it's worth, tattoos can be a great ice breaker with some people and, unless they are of an offensive nature, have absolutely no bearing on an officer's professionalism. Times have changed and society has moved on. It's high time the police service caught up.

I have no tattoos, by the way.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Beaker said:

My point is that most tattoos don't make you less able to be a police officer.  

You could say having a stained shirt, ripped trousers and long greasy hair doesn't make you less able to be a police officer.

The issue is perception. I would imagine twenty somethings see it as normal and will have no preconceptions, however a large proportion of the population will. It is about presenting a professional image, and as far as I'm concerned an arm full of tattoos doesn't do that, in the same way as dirty uniform, unpolished boots etc.

Another issue is that tattoos are fashionable now, but very likely won't be in 10 years time. You already see women with holes in their faces where they have removed face studs.

We already see a general reduction in standards with police officers tipping up to work unshaven, or with straggly unkempt facial hair. Female officers plastered in makeup as if they are going out on the town. If you gradually chip, chip away at the standards then they will reduce to nothing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo26 said:

You could say having a stained shirt, ripped trousers and long greasy hair doesn't make you less able to be a police officer.

The issue is perception. I would imagine twenty somethings see it as normal and will have no preconceptions, however a large proportion of the population will. It is about presenting a professional image, and as far as I'm concerned an arm full of tattoos doesn't do that, in the same way as dirty uniform, unpolished boots etc.

Another issue is that tattoos are fashionable now, but very likely won't be in 10 years time. You already see women with holes in their faces where they have removed face studs.

We already see a general reduction in standards with police officers tipping up to work unshaven, or with straggly unkempt facial hair. Female officers plastered in makeup as if they are going out on the town. If you gradually chip, chip away at the standards then they will reduce to nothing. 

Well put, I totally agree. Have we not, already, let standards slip to the ridiculous. First impressions of an officer can often dictate how the public will respond. If an officer gives an unkept, dishevelled, and uncaring appearance he/she will not encourage a favourable response. Why do people have to be so insecure in their appearance that they feel that they have to enhance it with tattoo's. How much respect to they have for their own bodies and appearance. 

Tattoo's say so much in the wrong way. How would, say, a Japanese tourist think of officers with Tattoo's when in Japan that is the way of the Japanese gangster and Mafia.

And, silly me, I though a "Snowflake" was a millennial child. I must have been rejuvenated by four decades.😉

Edited by Zulu 22

Is this really a new thing? If I'm being honest I recall some officers 15 years ago having tattoos on their forearms, if you watch the early 'road wars' episodes with TVP you can clearly see at least a couple of officers have them on there and they were filmed in 2003/4, back in the white shirt era. 

I personally don't see an issue with them, and don't believe they make an officer look unprofessional so long as they're in moderation. Much like many things in life.