Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Fedster

Meet Britain's longest serving police officer who has made five arrests in 50 years

PC Wannabe

Wow that's quite some achievement! Hats off to him.

Member Achievements

ParochialYokal

Whilst he should be congratulated for his length of service and his volunteering, I am not sure that it arresting ‘5 people in 50 years’ is something to be proud of?

i used to display  considerable amounts of discretion and deployed significant benefit of the doubt to people whom were ‘naughty’ but not necessarily ‘very naughty’. 

Looking at the picture of him walking about with more medals on his chest than actual arrests recorded on the books looks more akin to a comical advert for why someone should have gone to SpecSavers..

• Like 1

Member Achievements

obsidian_eclipse

To be fair if he is in a nice quiet village then there might not be the need to arrest lots of people, compared to my town centre where you could arrest every shift. I think he's done a great service and if his health permits he is a welcomed contributer to his community. I doubt I could run a marathon.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

gallifrey

Whilst I respect his service, I think 5 arrests in 50 years is something of a joke. 

• Like 1

Member Achievements

IrishCop

Good on you Richard and that's a pretty impressive rack of gongs you've been awarded.

Best wishes.

Sierra Lima
15 hours ago, obsidian_eclipse said:

To be fair if he is in a nice quiet village then there might not be the need to arrest lots of people, compared to my town centre where you could arrest every shift. 

I have experience policing "sleepy" villages. You still get domestics/rural crime/drunken fights/neighbour disputes boiling over and lots of drink driving. All that with few officers to deal with it. So I did use to arrest twice a week and trust me I use my discretion or VAs if appropriate. 

So I agree 5 arrests in 50 years is a joke. 

• Like 1

Zulu 22
8 hours ago, IrishCop said:

Good on you Richard and that's a pretty impressive rack of gongs you've been awarded.

Best wishes.

One is an MBE the others are Gim ees.

• Confused 1

Member Achievements

Pathca

So Zulu I presume you turned down your Queens Jubilee medals, your long service awards etc 

• Confused 1

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster
On 13/07/2019 at 07:33, IrishCop said:

Best wishes.

MBE, Queen’s Silver, Golden and Diamond Jubilee Medals and SC with several bars. With the exception of the MBE they are all service medals that any officer with that span of service might have, though Silver Jubilee medals were something of a lottery. Even I’ve got the Golden and Diamond ones. They are smaller and thicker than conventional medals and throw your rack out of balance.

Member Achievements

obsidian_eclipse
On 13/07/2019 at 12:55, Sierra Lima said:

I have experience policing "sleepy" villages. You still get domestics/rural crime/drunken fights/neighbour disputes boiling over and lots of drink driving. All that with few officers to deal with it. So I did use to arrest twice a week and trust me I use my discretion or VAs if appropriate. 

So I agree 5 arrests in 50 years is a joke. 

But if he doesn't work response he might never be tasked with those sorts of jobs. Its entirely possible he works feits, fayres and a plethora of community events.

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster
51 minutes ago, obsidian_eclipse said:

But if he doesn't work response he might never be tasked with those sorts of jobs. Its entirely possible he works feits, fayres and a plethora of community events.

and no one ever got lifted for D&D or BoP at a community event?  They sure as ****** do round our way - even at the ones that have banned alcohol! 

Member Achievements

Pathca

First duty I ever did 1984, Village carnival ,someone got stabbed ,someone else got a crowbar across his head 

Member Achievements

obsidian_eclipse

So, what is being suggested? That he has spent 50 years in service and hidden behind a hedge or lumped every arrest on other officers or something else entirely. Would he be kept on if he was shirking his responsibilities? Or is at least possible that some of the things which you, and I, have experienced in our neck of the woods just haven't occurred?

Im unsure of the tone and implications behind the lack of arrests when no one here knows what incidents he has been involved with nor his commitment to the job - which appears to be in question despite his glowing profile.

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Beaker
3 hours ago, Pathca said:

First duty I ever did 1984, Village carnival ,someone got stabbed ,someone else got a crowbar across his head 

That has to be "Coffee Day"

Member Achievements

There are 2 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

About us

Police Community was originally founded in 2014 by two serving Police Officers.

In 2016 it was incorporated as a limited company called RAW Digital Media Limited and then purchased 3 other forums; Police Specials, UK Police Online and Police UK to form the largest policing discussion forum network in the UK. In 2019 the decision was taken to merge all four forums into this main form of www.police.community

Get in touch

Twitter

Facebook

Meet The Team

• Chief Bakes
    Chief Bakes Management
  • Chief Rat
    Chief Rat Management
  • Chief Cheetah
    Chief Cheetah Management
  • Rocket
    Rocket Global Moderators