Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Fedster

Hundreds of police not fit enough for the job after failing basic fitness test

MajorDisaster
1 hour ago, Reasonable Man said:

Unfortunately there are those who don’t have the pride for this either. When I worked in a compliance role I was amazed at how many officers weren’t up to date with policy and legislation. When it was pointed out that they had been updated by email/ marketing message/ online training I was told ‘I don’t have time for all that. If they want me to know they should train me.’ By which they meant being put in a classroom is the only way of learning. 

If someone can’t be @r$ed to read an email then they’re unlikely to be inclined put on a pair of trainers. 

To be fair, we get 'new' info on bulletins which scroll across your homepage.  I genuinely do not have the 40 minutes to an hour it would take to read, digest and react to the ten or so that seem to appear every day-even worse when you know there is one you need and have to dig through to find it.  Our skipper trawls them and if there is something we need to know he will tell us at briefing or drop an email, knowing that he is the one sender we will definitely pay attention to.  There are too many people who have access to the 'all users' button.

Member Achievements

Radman
Posted (edited)

I think alot of people fail because they 'psych' themselves out and just build up huge amounts of anxiety that makes it impossible to pass the test because of roadblocks folk have put in their own path. When I first joined a young lass who was 18, stick thin and seemingly healthy enough to run gave up halfway through, she'd gone on and on about worrying over the fitness and failing it, sure enough she did. 

Getting anything done in life boils down to simply believing you can do it half of the time... Atleast in my experience. 

I'm not fit but I've never struggled to pass the fitness test, as has been said it's a pride thing more than anything, even if I was so chronically unfit I couldn't pass the test I'd sooner run until I collapsed rather than give up. 

Edited by Radman
  • Like 1

Member Achievements

SD
27 minutes ago, MajorDisaster said:

To be fair, we get 'new' info on bulletins which scroll across your homepage.  I genuinely do not have the 40 minutes to an hour it would take to read, digest and react to the ten or so that seem to appear every day-even worse when you know there is one you need and have to dig through to find it.  Our skipper trawls them and if there is something we need to know he will tell us at briefing or drop an email, knowing that he is the one sender we will definitely pay attention to.  There are too many people who have access to the 'all users' button.

So if you (and others) won’t spend 40 mins of works time keeping on top of actual work, why do people expect them to spend 40 mins of their own time maintaining fitness?

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut

The job should provide training time and structured sessions. 

Member Achievements

miffy

I think there should be greater emphasis of fitness in the initial training, such as daily exercises. Additionally, the job should put more effort in getting officers access to exercise/get fit such as providing grants to sports teams, in-house gym or contacting local gyms and seeing if they offer any discounts. It's the little things.

Also helps if there are dedicated water fountains in each police station. Some stations tap water just taste funny and I refuse to drink from them until I find another station or go to a place where I can refill my bottle. Surprised myself how much i would drink if there was access to cold and fresh water. 

Member Achievements

MajorDisaster
17 hours ago, SD said:

So if you (and others) won’t spend 40 mins of works time keeping on top of actual work, why do people expect them to spend 40 mins of their own time maintaining fitness?

You miss my point - there we are then

Member Achievements

Mac7

I’m not surprised people are failing. The majority of us have one  annual test. It’s not random, we have plenty of notice and know it’s coming, yet still fail. 

I’m probably quite lucky in that my force encourages health and wellbeing. We also have a very good gym.  However, I’m in full agreement with others that it is down to the individuals to take some personal responsibility for their own fitness.  Even if work allowed training time I doubt you would see gyms and sports halls packed to the rafters.  Some Cops would find excuses or use excuses not to train.  Others would see it as a social time and others would do half hearted “fitness” that would have no bearing on their overall level of fitness.  

The job can only do so much. It annoys me when people say they don’t have time or we should be allowed time, or I can’t do this and that because of shifts.  

Since joining I’ve had a family, worked shifts, worked long hours and currently work the most ad hoc shifts possible.  I still maintain and always have maintained a decent level of fitness.  It takes very little time each week do some exercise.  It’s called making an effort. I’d be very surprised if someone does not have 30 spare minutes 2 or 3 times a week. Half the problem is that the job is not honest with people. 

You don’t have to eat fast food every day at work because of shifts. There are plenty of healthy options available if you are willing to seek them out and put some effort in.  All it takes is a bit of will power.  

Member Achievements

Reasonable Man
On 09/08/2019 at 23:48, Funkywingnut said:

The job should provide training time and structured sessions. 

It does, for the sort of training that requires that. 

There is no requirement to have a structured training session for everything. E.g. when legislation changed and required a senior officer to authorise a caution for certain either way offences. A message to everyone is sufficient to update officers. No need to get everyone to travel to a training location and provide a trainer to give a five minute message. 

• Confused 1

Member Achievements

Jeebs

I haven’t trained properly for months for a number of reasons, and I can still attain 9.4 or more on a bleep test.

There is something DRASTICALLY wrong with anyone failing at 5.4.

The job shouldn’t need to give you training time to pass at that level. You exert yourself more carrying the shopping in.

Member Achievements

Funkywingnut
6 hours ago, Reasonable Man said:

There is no requirement to have a structured training session for everything. E.g. when legislation changed and required a senior officer to authorise a caution for certain either way offences. A message to everyone is sufficient to update officers. No need to get everyone to travel to a training location and provide a trainer to give a five minute message. 

Aren’t we talking fitness training? 

Forces should provide structured physical training and give officers duty time to train along with providing facilities. 

Member Achievements

Reasonable Man
2 hours ago, Funkywingnut said:

Forces should provide structured physical training and give officers duty time to train along with providing facilities. 

The discussion had broadened. 

I don’t agree that Forces should provide facilities and time to train staff in order to be as fit as the average 50-54 year old woman, which is what 5:4 on the bleep test represents. 

Member Achievements

Growley
3 hours ago, Funkywingnut said:

Personally, I think people need to suck it up and have a bit of personal pride and responsibility. If they're not doing it already, forcing them to go to sessions on job time isn't going to get anything spectacular out of them.

• Like 3

Member Achievements

stewie_griffin
On 09/08/2019 at 12:30, Reasonable Man said:

Unfortunately there are those who don’t have the pride for this either. ... If they want me to know they should train me.’ By which they meant being put in a classroom is the only way of learning. 

If someone can’t be @r$ed to read an email then they’re unlikely to be inclined put on a pair of trainers. 

Yes and no (but I think you clarified your point later on in this thread).

I don't think that the police should set aside time during the shift for physical training for a few reasons, but mainly because if you claim to be a professional, then you should make time to be fit outside of work hours. For the same reason, I also think that you should take it upon yourself to keep up to date with changes in legislation and new developments in policing. We also have a shooting range that is open 24/7 and provides free ammunition, so there are no excuses for not being able to shoot straight!

However, it would be absurd to suggest that this could be done for everything. For example, here in Canada cannabis just became legal and the implications for policing are enormous: it would be ridiculous to expect patrol officers to update themselves via online training.

In a similar way, it would be impossible (and dangerous) to expect, officers to train themselves to climb ropes, abseil or shoot from moving vehicles.

Member Achievements

Mags-1979
18 hours ago, Reasonable Man said:

The discussion had broadened. 

I don’t agree that Forces should provide facilities and time to train staff in order to be as fit as the average 50-54 year old woman, which is what 5:4 on the bleep test represents. 

Hi @Reasonable Man

Could you tell me where I can find the stats relating to the bleep test being set for a 50-54 year old woman, please.  I'm interested in sports fitness and would like to do a bit of research in to how these things are calculated.

Many thanks.

Maggie.

SD
On 13/08/2019 at 14:14, Reasonable Man said:

Yeah, that’s the attitude that resulted in Ncalt.

Member Achievements